Options

what do you longtime fanclub members think of the ticket lottery system?

2»

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    perfect system,,i hope 10c gave raise to the person thought of it
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547

I think with technology the F5 days were heading towards madness with I'm sure some people figuring out how to use bots, and then some people had faster connections than others.  I did well in the F5 days because there were really only 3-4 cities where there was high demand that slowed down the network. 

I think the new system is fine, except for people get multiple sets of tickets to use for trade bait.  Is what it is.  It is the most fair and at this point being a fan for 20+ years I don't need to see 10 shows a tour.  I'm going in for Missoula and fully expect to win GA first round.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:
    jdopj said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I love the lottery system but I hate the way they do GA.  Just my .02.
    +1
    There are the same people standing in front for stretches of shows

i thought this was the reason they went to GA in the first place but now it seems the rail freaks just go GA.
    yup.  The first time I noticed how crazy people were for rail was at brooklyn 1 , 2013.  Toward the end of the show maybe with 2 or 3 songs left I saw some people who were up front leave early.  I was like, what the heck?  How could you leave early?  As I walked out of the show I saw these same people already lined up for night 2.  
    Lol @wavesrollby

2016 too!!!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited February 2018
    I like it. It prevents people from using technology to get around fairness. We all have an equal shot at tix this way. That wasn't the case in the F5 days. Not at all. And F5ing it was terrible just in terms of the timing too. Not everyone can take a day to try and attain tickets in front of a computer. The lottery allows us to continue on with our lives pretty seamlessly, lol.
    I do also agree with adding the "do you want GA - yes or no?" feature though. That would make it better. Just makes sense. I don't know why they haven't done this yet. I would also love to see the GA queue lottery. So much better than the fucking shit show I've seen with the GA lines.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jdopj said:
    MayDay10 said:
    jdopj said:
    i would like to see:
    Some shows on an arena tour reserved with 1,2,9,10 lottery rows. Not NY but some less popular places.
    Lottery is for show only, check box if you don’t want GA. Second draw for reserved or GA that way you are committed to reserved if you don’t get GA. It’ll reduce demand and groups gaming the GA.
    This, to me would fix the system more than anything.  People wouldn't be spiking the pot with 'extra' 6XX,XXX member numbers.  If tickets were still distributed the day of the show it would be a great surprise to get GA, and people wouldn't have to queue in the arms race which has spanned multiple days now. They can queue when they receive tickets and the 10c can set a randomized line system (or even print order of entry on the GA tickets).  It would also restore a normal bell curve of member #s in reserved seating.
    You and I always agree on this
    seems like an easy fix
    Perfect. They should have fixed GA lineup years ago
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,506
    jdopj said:
    Also no camping out for GA spaces
    you get assigned number to line up to go in

I agree with this.   The last Springsteen GA i went to was awesome.   Anyone with GA tickets got a wristband with a  number on it.   (For arguments sake, lets say it was 1-1000)

Once 7pm hit, they stopped giving out wristbands.   Then they picked a random number.   Lets say 543.   So, 543 would be the first in line, then 544 would be second, and so on....once it got to 1000, then 1 was next, then 2, etc.   There was no fighting, no running.  (they let people in 10 at at time, also, instead of a mass crowd at once.)
    People didnt have to camp out in sketchy neighborhoods, nobody got sunstroke or froze to death, etc.   it worked great. 

Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,344
    'Lottery is much prefered to the pride swallowing F5 nonsense. 
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    If i win and get my shows that i entered for it's a great system if i don't score and get shutout the system sucks :)
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    LL624LL624 Posts: 43
    Hate it....got tickets every time with the old way of doing things.  Since the lottery system, I'm lucky to get one show on a tour...a few times none. :( 
    "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." --Henry David Thoreau
    "Compassion is the basis of all morality." --Arthur Schopenhauer
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited February 2018
    LL624 said:
    Hate it....got tickets every time with the old way of doing things.  Since the lottery system, I'm lucky to get one show on a tour...a few times none. :( 
    Yeah but.... either that says they had way longer tours so the demand was lower (or just says that demand was lower in general during that time), or that highlights exactly what was wrong with the old system in terms of fairness.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,081
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah I prefer the Bruce lottery GA way. As example:

http://brucespringsteen.net/news/2016/general-admission-lottery-at-gillette-stadium-nrg-plazapatriot-place-gate

YES! Every band needs to adopt this system. The politics of GA line-ups incentivizes truly nutty behavior. Removes so much stress from the equation.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    I like it. It's an improvement over the F5 madness. If a better system comes along down the road I would be open to that, too.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,984
    Love it. Prefer it to F5ing.

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    edited February 2018
    I loved close seats...but the lottery is the fairest way.  Why should I get better seats because I am older?  I have gone through all the emotions, they spoiled us soooo much early on, it has made some of the changes hard on us old timers.  We, dare I say, got a little feeling of entitlement, so evening out the odds, but still taking care of us old farts ( I am an astounding 44 ) is all we can really ask.  I would love to have front row center again, but I wouldn't ever want to deny someone else that amazing opportunity just because I was lucky my parents fucked sooner!

Spread the Jam
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,243
    I don't mind the lotto.  I liked F5, but I'd have to book the day off work to make sure I could have interrupted hours to get my order through.

The last time though.  The 2011 Canada tour.   The F5 that broke the website.  It was obvious something had to change.  I didn't really expect 10c to invest in server capacity and technology when they only sell PJ tickets, and only once and a while.    It's a lot to spend on something you only need 1 day a year.    I think the lottery was a decent choice.

For a while there I did question taking in more membership dues (new members), when it seemed like there wasn't enough to tickets to go around for everyone.  They seemed to be addressing that this year with bigger venues and more tickets.

I quite like GA.  My 20 year old 10c membership kept getting worse and worse tickets.  GA is a lot better than where my seats were going.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    "Longtime members" I thought you were referring to the time you mailed in a check and got tickets in the mail.
    That was great.
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    GA works fine. I love the camp out! 
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,777
    Had much better luck before the lottery (90% success before, 20% after). That includes getting tickets at The Vic in '07.

I like the concept of the lottery and random seat upgrades in reserved seat shows. The only downside being hometown shows in Chicago shows are tough to get, especially GA. Hoping this time around I'm more successful, because there's no "easy" strategy to get your picks.
  • Options
    Windermere11Windermere11 Earth Posts: 133
    I do miss the old days of sending a post card and check. Then getting tickets with your name printed on them....

Thank you Mike!!!

1990 12/22
    1991 2/1,26; 3/1; 5/25; 8/23,29
    1992 1/3,17; 7/22; 9/20
    1993 9/5; 10/25; 12/7,8,9
    1995 6/24; 11/4
    1998 7/10,11,13,14
    2000 10/22,25,28,30
    2003 6/2,3,5,6; 10/28
    2006 7/6,7,9,10,12,13; 11/30; 12/2,9
    2009 9/30; 10/1,6,7,9
    2010 5/1
    2013 11/21,23,24
    2014 10/25
    2016 11/14
    2018 8/8,10
    2021 9/26; 10/1,2
    2022 5/3,6,7
  • Options
    55 MA Posts: 157
    I sadly have never won any of the drawings (and I have entered many times) since the lottery system started.
    I had almost always been able to get fan club tickets with all of the past systems and since my nuumber is #4,712 (yes 4 digits been in 10 club since the beginning) it has been depressing not to ever win in any drawing.   I am however a faithful member and still believe and hope the system will work out for me someday.  Have not seen my band now since 2010 so I am hoping these 2018 drawings will put an end to my PJ drought.  My 2 cents on the GA policy is that
    after reading how Bruce Springsteen  fan club handles GA ( http://brucespringsteen.net/news/2016/general-admission-lottery-at-gillette-stadium-nrg-plazapatriot-place-gate )
    I think 10 club should do the same for fairness.  

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,561
    mcgruff10 said:
    lolobugg said:
    jdopj said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    +1
    There are the same people standing in front for stretches of shows

i thought this was the reason they went to GA in the first place but now it seems the rail freaks just go GA.
    yup.  The first time I noticed how crazy people were for rail was at brooklyn 1 , 2013.  Toward the end of the show maybe with 2 or 3 songs left I saw some people who were up front leave early.  I was like, what the heck?  How could you leave early?  As I walked out of the show I saw these same people already lined up for night 2.  
    This was the reason Springsteen came up with their lottery system for G.A. and has has been a huge problem on all of the recent U2 tours in the U.S. and U2 does the same basic show every night.
    As an old fart low digit member I like my seniority.  It's just that now I always end up on Stone's side with the reserved shows. Love Stone but would like to be on Mike's side more often.