Which show should I choose?

CimeCime Posts: 51
I plan to try for the shows in either Chicago or Boston in the lottery. I only have money for one place. I live in Florida and plan to fly, get a hotel, and hopefully take public transport to the shows. Does anyone have an opinion of which should be the best? Chicago because Eddie is from there or Boston because it's the last show this year? Please don't give me advice on which because you are a Cubs or Redsocks fan. I just want to get other fan's opinions on which shows might be momentous. If I could go to both places and see four show I would. Thanks for any help.
Minding my manners

Comments

• LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Have you been to either city before? I'd pick the city I'd want to check out more compared to Ed's hometown or the last shows of the tour. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    I did both cities in 2016 and absolutely loved both of them. I’m a San Diego guy so it was a nice change. I honestly can’t tell you which one is better, because they are both such cool and fun cities. You will have a blast at whichever one you choose. Good luck 
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    The only show from the 2018 US tour that I would think might be a little better or different would be the Missoula show. It has the potential to be the 'Moline' of this tour I guess you could say.

For between Boston and Chicago - neither show(s) should be expected to be better or worse than the other. Pick whichever town you'd rather visit.
  • Boston
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• There's no GA pit in Boston if that helps sway you one way or the other.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Sarava said:
    The only show from the 2018 US tour that I would think might be a little better or different would be the Missoula show. It has the potential to be the 'Moline' of this tour I guess you could say.

For between Boston and Chicago - neither show(s) should be expected to be better or worse than the other. Pick whichever town you'd rather visit.
    it kills me to say it because its my home town and I likely wont be there... but I think those Seattle shows are gonna be mega intense. 
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    Having visited both cities for PJ shows, @jmug23 hit it right on the head with the fact that you cant go wrong with either city. They are both extremely fun and have some of the best energy in terms of the crowd at the show. This is going to come down to the city you want to visit more. I don't see you making any kind of a wrong decision here. Both cities have tons to do as far as tourist attractions as well. You can flip a coin in this situation and come out a winner either way it lands. Good luck.
    edited January 2018
    @SmallestOceans is just biased because he lives out in Boston by the way! :lol: Hey Frank, I might see you in September in your hometown. Working out the details now. Calling out @Hauntingfamiliar
    Post edited by Ray J. T. on
  • Plan out a trip to both cities (flights/hotels/ect) and see which one is cheaper.  It's impossible to predict, but I can't see one set of shows being that much better than the other.  
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,466
    If you have a low 10club number, go to Boston, you'll be close.
    If you have a higher number, go for Chicago GA.
  • jazzbo26jazzbo26 Posts: 684
    edited January 2018
    Chicago. Less competion for me getting Fenway tix.   =)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,844

My two cents and is the same as what others have mentioned.

1) Prioritize the city you would like to visit (if you like US history go to Boston)

2) Factor in GA versus seating up front

3) Chicago is Ed's hometown but Boston has a strong history of great, great shows so I call it a draw

4) Price of flights/hotel

• pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,844
    edited January 2018
    Yeah I would cancel everything out and pick the city you’d want to visit. All 4 shows will be fun regardless. I traveled to Boston in ‘16 and my wife and I loved the city. We would definitely go back. I’ve never been to Chicago
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,222
    I was in the same boat.  Going back and forth between Chicago & Boston.  I'm going with Chicago because I'll be visiting Boston earlier in the summer as part of my vacation.  Plus the hotels in Chicago are cheaper. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    Forrest Hills. Oh, wait!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • I liked Boston as a town more than I liked Chitown.

Both were really fun to see shows at though so you can't go wrong with either one!
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,272
    If you're flying like me I chose Chicago for one main reason.
    Flights and hotels will be double or triple for a holiday weekend. You can get those "getaway" specials for a normal weekend that don't exist on holiday weekends. 
    Maybe it depends on where you are flying from, but I'd definitely look into that.
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,531
    I did both cities in 2016 and had been to each before on short vacations. Like others have said, both are incredible cities and I’m sure the shows will be equally great. The one thing that I’d add is that since you said you’d be traveling on public transport, Boston is slightly more accessible if you’re staying downtown. You can literally walk everywhere. That’s not to say that Chicago isn’t, but if you’re staying near downtown (ie Beacon Hill or Back bay in Boston or the Loop in Chicago) Boston is slightly better. For example, after Fenway we were able to walk back to our hotel in the theatre district in about 20 mins. Saved us from having to hop on a bus or train. If you go with Chicago, you’ll have to take a packed train which take about 20 mins to get to Wrigley. You can’t really walk from the Loop, but the train is iconic and a pretty fun experience when you amongst fellow fans. Chicago’s museums are world class, and the food is incredible. Boston is incredible too for the history, culture, etc You really can’t go wrong either way.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • I would do Chicago having lived in both places for years.  Go for GA, it’s not a holiday weekend so cheaper flights, and getting around both cities is going to be easy no matter where you are.  There’ll be cheaper hotels in Chicago because it’s a much larger city and there’s just plain more hotels.  I’m skipping the tour with a baby but am hoping for a fall tour.  Good luck with the lottery and have fun!!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Ray J. T. said:
    @SmallestOceans is just biased because he lives out in Boston by the way! :lol: Hey Frank, I might see you in September in your hometown. Working out the details now. Calling out @Hauntingfamiliar
    Would be great to see you there Ray! Hope you can make it.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Ray J. T. said:
    Yah mo b there! Flight n hotel booked!!! I'll see you both in Bahston.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,240
    I say it depends what type of stuff your into beyond the show. For example, when I go to a new city the first thing I think of is food, therefor I chose the one that has deep dish pizza, hot dogs and beef sandwiches. 
  • CimeCime Posts: 51
    Wow! Thank you all so much for the comments. I didn't know Fenway didn't have GA. I won't have a lot of time to see the cities anyway and I'm going solo so I think I'll try for Chicago in the lottery. I saw all four shows in Florida and the one in Greenville in 2016. I need this! Every one of these comments helped me a lot, thanks again.
    Minding my manners
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Cime said:
    Wow! Thank you all so much for the comments. I didn't know Fenway didn't have GA. I won't have a lot of time to see the cities anyway and I'm going solo so I think I'll try for Chicago in the lottery. I saw all four shows in Florida and the one in Greenville in 2016. I need this! Every one of these comments helped me a lot, thanks again.
    Those Florida shows were incredible! 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
    LukinFan said:
    Cime said:
    Those Florida shows were incredible! 
    Hell yea they were. Hopefully they will be back a lot sooner than later. 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I am trying to decide between Seattle and Boston......I am from L.A., and have been to both cities before.
    Oddly enough, the total cost of going to Boston is less than Seattle.
    I have a very low 10C number, so I'd benefit from there not being a GA pit for the Fenway shows.

Decisions, decisions!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    I am trying to decide between Seattle and Boston......I am from L.A., and have been to both cities before.
    I have a very low 10C number, so I'd benefit from there not being a GA pit for the Fenway shows.

Decisions, decisions!

as long as your number isn't better than mine, c'mon to the east coast, man!  :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

lolobugg said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Decisions, decisions!

as long as your number isn't better than mine, c'mon to the east coast, man!  :lol:
    I am 722XX

OK to come to the east coast, punk???? B)

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    lolobugg said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Decisions, decisions!

I am 722XX

Yep. we will hopefully be sitting pretty close together!!

I would say A5 first 4 rows hopefully!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

lolobugg said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    lolobugg said:
    JOEJOEJOE said:

Decisions, decisions!

I am 722XX

Yep. we will hopefully be sitting pretty close together!!

I would say A5 first 4 rows hopefully!!!

Sounds like a plan!