Please cover Chris Cornell at the Home/Away shows

I know this may be a sensitive topic for the band still but I think it would be a very touching tribute if they covered a Chris Cornell song during this year’s shows, if they were up for it. Soundgarden or ToTD would be nice as we have some overlapping members but I would love to hear some of the solo work as it is truly more personal.

I was listening to Follow My Way and thought the dramatics of the musical composition would blossom into a beautifully emotional cover.

The Seattle show would be a perfect venue.
DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22

Comments

• I love the sentiment behind this request but I think the band is smart enough to know that Eddie can’t touch Chris’s vocals. 
  • I can imagine at some point in the future they might play Hunger Strike with a guest vocalist.  But it would have to be someone pretty incredible.  For what it's worth, I think Ann Wilson or Brandi Carlile would do a decent job of it.  

On a side note, eight months after his passing, the sadness of his passing still hits me like a tonne of bricks when I dwell on it.  Chris' music was such a constant in my life, and he was maturing so gracefully as an artist, it never occurred to me that it could be taken away just like that.
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,971
    I was kinda picturing something like playing hunger strike with the crowd singing Chris' part and Eddie singing his part. That's the only way I see it happening.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • I can imagine at some point in the future they might play Hunger Strike with a guest vocalist.  But it would have to be someone pretty incredible.  For what it's worth, I think Ann Wilson or Brandi Carlile would do a decent job of it.  

On a side note, eight months after his passing, the sadness of his passing still hits me like a tonne of bricks when I dwell on it.  Chris' music was such a constant in my life, and he was maturing so gracefully as an artist, it never occurred to me that it could be taken away just like that.

Higher Truth is such a gift of an album, huh? Amazing 
  • ehbacon said:
    I was kinda picturing something like playing hunger strike with the crowd singing Chris' part and Eddie singing his part. That's the only way I see it happening.
    I think there will be speculation like this in the days leading up to the shows in particular and I definitely understand the sentiment but for a lot of reasons I don’t think it’s the right way to honour Chris. But if they try it whatever happens happens I guess. 

Eddie not being at any of the Temple shows feels both necessary, like the way it had to happen, and sad.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    I think it will be handled and handled with class, but I don't know how.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."

It's a great record, bittersweet though, obviously.

I don't think the power, or, honestly, truth of the record is diminished in any way by the manner of his passing. But I understand that's hard for people to accept at this point.
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,334
    edited January 2018
    JimmyV said:
    I think it will be handled and handled with class, but I don't know how.

Yes, It's a safe bet that Chris will be honored in some way this summer at some if not all of the shows.  But especially the Seattle shows.

I don't think the power, or, honestly, truth of the record is diminished in any way by the manner of his passing. But I understand that's hard for people to accept at this point.
    I totally know what you're saying.  I find it harder listening to songs like Times Of Trouble where he's singing about holding on - I always found a lot of strength in his words, even when they were really dark.  Suicide is just so hard to reconcile with.  
  • edited January 2018
    I can imagine at some point in the future they might play Hunger Strike with a guest vocalist.  But it would have to be someone pretty incredible.  For what it's worth, I think Ann Wilson or Brandi Carlile would do a decent job of it.  

I totally know what you're saying.  I find it harder listening to songs like Times Of Trouble where he's singing about holding on - I always found a lot of strength in his words, even when they were really dark.  Suicide is just so hard to reconcile with.  
    Yea I think this is an important thing for people to start to work through. It's very difficult right now. The only way I can describe Times of Trouble is as a holy song. I still remember when I first listened to it.

I was actually at the Detroit show, and when I came back a guy I know said to me "The guy who wrote Times of Trouble couldn't hold on!" That hurt a ton at that point, I think especially cuz he said it aggressively as opposed to from shared grief/confusion. But I got to the place where I understand the guy who said that was speaking out of a dark place of his own and in that case might have actually been trying to drag me down with him. It took a while to get to this spot and I've had help, but even when he said it I knew it was a lot more complicated than the way he put it.

I don't know if that helps exactly. I was also at some of the Temple shows, so to go from the triumphant feeling of those shows to the loss of Chris being around so soon afterwards is really hard. I'm not done working it through myself.
    Post edited by dancinacrossthewater on
  • Anyway Chris has always been a strong force for good in the world and continues to be through his music. I'm sure of that :)
  • My biggest regret is not going to one of the Temple shows.  I live in the UK, but seriously looked into traveling to the NYC show, and decided that they'd probably play the UK at some point, so I'd wait it out.

In terms of processing his passing, I'm sure it will eventually become easier, but right now it just fucking sucks. 
  • My biggest regret is not going to one of the Temple shows.  I live in the UK, but seriously looked into traveling to the NYC show, and decided that they'd probably play the UK at some point, so I'd wait it out.

In terms of processing his passing, I'm sure it will eventually become easier, but right now it just fucking sucks. 
    How were you gonna know there would only be one tour. Sometimes on that tour he looked world weary tired but mostly he was happy - I can attest to that. 
  • You know what’s a beautiful track btw? The Times of Trouble instrumental demo from the TOTD 25 year anniversary package. That just came on my speakers.
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    I can imagine at some point in the future they might play Hunger Strike with a guest vocalist.  But it would have to be someone pretty incredible.  For what it's worth, I think Ann Wilson or Brandi Carlile would do a decent job of it.  

Higher Truth is a beautiful, honest album. It’s my favorite album right now. CC was a genius songwriter and lyricist.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    Also I think Hunger Strike should be permanently retired.
  • Going the whole way thru Chris’s catalogue, from Screaming Life right thru Higher Truth, is such an awesome experience. There’s no one else who could go from songs like Heretic and Beyond the Wheel to Zero Chance to Getaway Car to Rowing to Through the Window. 

This was my hope too. I figured they'd have such a good reception that Europe would then get a couple of shows. Not to be. 

This was my hope too. I figured they'd have such a good reception that Europe would then get a couple of shows. Not to be. 
    I think, or at least hope, there will be some kind of official release from the tour eventually.