Stubhub not allowing Seattle, but allowing other shows for resale

What does everyone think about Stubhub not allowing the Seattle PJ shows to be listed because they are charity shows.  On the surface, this looks like a noble position to take.  BUT, Pearl Jam is who is committing to donating $10.00 from each ticket sold.  This is obviously primary ticket sales.  So buying and selling on Stubhub has no bearing on the donation Pearl Jam is committed to.  Furthermore, we all know other scalper sites will be selling these tickets charity event or not.  Stubhub could actually donate 1% or 2% of its proceeds from the Seattle shows and actually raise more money for homelessness.  It would seem like a good business position to take from a charity standpoint as well as I think most people who are going to buy off of a scalper site would prefer to buy from a site helping the cause.  
Gorge

Comments

• What does everyone think about Stubhub not allowing the Seattle PJ shows to be listed because they are charity shows.  On the surface, this looks like a noble position to take.  BUT, Pearl Jam is who is committing to donating $10.00 from each ticket sold.  This is obviously primary ticket sales.  So buying and selling on Stubhub has no bearing on the donation Pearl Jam is committed to.  Furthermore, we all know other scalper sites will be selling these tickets charity event or not.  Stubhub could actually donate 1% or 2% of its proceeds from the Seattle shows and actually raise more money for homelessness.  It would seem like a good business position to take from a charity standpoint as well as I think most people who are going to buy off of a scalper site would prefer to buy from a site helping the cause.  
    I wish they would ban ANY ticket resale over face value.

Take that market out of the equation and fans would be the only one with the tickets to the shows!
  • vivid seats had the Seattle shows listed a few days ago. Looks like they pulled them now.

https://www.vividseats.com/concerts/pearl-jam-tickets.html
  • What does everyone think about Stubhub not allowing the Seattle PJ shows to be listed because they are charity shows.  On the surface, this looks like a noble position to take.  BUT, Pearl Jam is who is committing to donating $10.00 from each ticket sold.  This is obviously primary ticket sales.  So buying and selling on Stubhub has no bearing on the donation Pearl Jam is committed to.  Furthermore, we all know other scalper sites will be selling these tickets charity event or not.  Stubhub could actually donate 1% or 2% of its proceeds from the Seattle shows and actually raise more money for homelessness.  It would seem like a good business position to take from a charity standpoint as well as I think most people who are going to buy off of a scalper site would prefer to buy from a site helping the cause.  

Take that market out of the equation and fans would be the only one with the tickets to the shows!
    Couldn't agree more. The problem is that they are all in bed with each other. Tickemaster makes their fees, and then they make their reseller fees on their resale site. You are asking them to cut their own revenue. 

Same with promoters and venues. Not being able to re-sell their share cuts into their revenues. Its all greed.

Couldn't agree more. The problem is that they are all in bed with each other. Tickemaster makes their fees, and then they make their reseller fees on their resale site. You are asking them to cut their own revenue. 

Same with promoters and venues. Not being able to re-sell their share cuts into their revenues. Its all greed.
    Artists also funnel tickets directly to secondary sites and scalp them themselves.  I'm sure PJ wouldn't do that sort of thing, but it happens all the time.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-pociask/concert-tickets-secondary-market_b_5659944.html

"

For example, in January of last year, a Justin Bieber concert in Bridgestone Arena (Tennessee) sold only 1,001 of its 13,783 seats to the general public. That’s only 7 percent. Local investigative reports also discovered that some of those tickets were allocated to Bieber’s management and ended up for sale on the secondary market for well above face value.

In fairness, other well-known artists have been known to do the same. Following the news of Bieber scalping his own tickets, Pollstar, a concert industry publication, said “That may not come as a surprise to anyone in the concert industry.” In addition, Katy Perry’s tour rider was leaked in 2011 in which her management reserved the right to sell as many tickets as she chose directly on the secondary market."

The artists do a lot of the scalping..

Gorge
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,222
    What does everyone think about Stubhub not allowing the Seattle PJ shows to be listed because they are charity shows.  On the surface, this looks like a noble position to take.  BUT, Pearl Jam is who is committing to donating $10.00 from each ticket sold.  This is obviously primary ticket sales.  So buying and selling on Stubhub has no bearing on the donation Pearl Jam is committed to.  Furthermore, we all know other scalper sites will be selling these tickets charity event or not.  Stubhub could actually donate 1% or 2% of its proceeds from the Seattle shows and actually raise more money for homelessness.  It would seem like a good business position to take from a charity standpoint as well as I think most people who are going to buy off of a scalper site would prefer to buy from a site helping the cause.  

Artists also funnel tickets directly to secondary sites and scalp them themselves.  I'm sure PJ wouldn't do that sort of thing, but it happens all the time.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-pociask/concert-tickets-secondary-market_b_5659944.html

"

For example, in January of last year, a Justin Bieber concert in Bridgestone Arena (Tennessee) sold only 1,001 of its 13,783 seats to the general public. That’s only 7 percent. Local investigative reports also discovered that some of those tickets were allocated to Bieber’s management and ended up for sale on the secondary market for well above face value.

In fairness, other well-known artists have been known to do the same. Following the news of Bieber scalping his own tickets, Pollstar, a concert industry publication, said “That may not come as a surprise to anyone in the concert industry.” In addition, Katy Perry’s tour rider was leaked in 2011 in which her management reserved the right to sell as many tickets as she chose directly on the secondary market."

The artists do a lot of the scalping..

WOW!  That's rediculous!!  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 740
    edited January 2018
    Yes. Some artists do this as well. Its shady all around. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    edited January 2018
    I think StubHub sucks. This just seems like a marketing ploy. Most people will think StubHub is socially responsible, but obviously it's not.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216

Take down secondary sites and people will sell them on eBay or Craigslist. Impossible to fight demand.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,430
    I wish Pearl Jam donated10.00$ for all of its concerts to charity. I would gladly pay the extra price if it meant these sites would back off on listing them for resale. Scalpers will still find away but it will at least make it harder and will hopefully stop the average Joe from getting greedy too. There is an outside shot of me making the Friday show in Seattle and this makes me think that I will be ok getting tickets for a decent price a couple of months after the sale. 
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    Doesn't affect me since I'm only going to the Wrigley shows. But yeah, I don't see how this being for homeless should affect whether tickets get resold or not. Ultimately, what it will do is drive buyers to less secure places like Craig's list...where their chances of getting scammed go up tenfold.