Options

Pilate...Interpretations?

electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
I am sure this has been mentioned numerous times before however, I have never seen anyone's interpretations about this song and ever since I first heard Pilate I have wondered about it...

Do you think this is about Jeff's dog? or maybe a tiny bit both something to do with Pontius (Ponce) Pilate the Roman procurator of Judea (26-circa 36); presided at the trial of Jesus and responsible for the order for death by crucifixation....and Jeff's dog?
or something else?
"Forgive every being,
the bad feelings 
it's just me"

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    All of their lyrics are so specifically unspecific, that I have no clue in hell what eddie Jeff stone mike mike or jack were thinking about when they wrote them, but they always apply to my specific way of thinking, which is what I like about them. To me pilate is about a guy who is unhappy and doesn't really know what to do, or what is making him unhappy "Falling up, then south, marking ground. Talking out of turn, drawing circles down." like a downword spiral almost. But when he comes to it and is honest with himself what is making him unhappy is the way in wich he lives his own life, and he cannot escape his unhappiness without confronting his fears about himself. "Stunned by my own reflection, it's looking back, sees me to clearly and i swore id never go there again, not unlike a friend who politely drags you down." So "like pilate I have a dog" is like a fighter pilate with a dog on his tail that he can't shake, kinda like his conscience. But heck, that just me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by given2fly5
    All of their lyrics are so specifically unspecific, that I have no clue in hell what eddie Jeff stone mike mike or jack were thinking about when they wrote them, but they always apply to my specific way of thinking, which is what I like about them. To me pilate is about a guy who is unhappy and doesn't really know what to do, or what is making him unhappy "Falling up, then south, marking ground. Talking out of turn, drawing circles down." like a downword spiral almost. But when he comes to it and is honest with himself what is making him unhappy is the way in wich he lives his own life, and he cannot escape his unhappiness without confronting his fears about himself. "Stunned by my own reflection, it's looking back, sees me to clearly and i swore id never go there again, not unlike a friend who politely drags you down." So "like pilate I have a dog" is like a fighter pilate with a dog on his tail that he can't shake, kinda like his conscience. But heck, that just me.

WOW!...so cOoL an AWESOME INTERPRETATION! now that opens me up to another realm of possibility...Thanks!... :)

thinking... i was going to get beat down with a stick for some reason on this one ...
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    I think I read somewhere a long while ago that Pilate was about a book that Jeff was reading that had a guy who was on top of a hill with a dog, or something close to that. If you look in the liner of the Yield album there is a picutre of Jeff on top of a mountain, so I guess it is plausible, but I can't remember the name of the book.
    Yes, and thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes. I thought it was there for good so I never tried.
  • Options
    jamitjamit Posts: 49
    i was thinkin on the same lines that it had something to do with the bible and pilate ordering jesus, and i also thought that only because of the passion. But who really knows i'm thinkin that even jeff doesnt even know what this song means but it sure sounds good.
    YOU ARE..FAITHFULL, but no TREMOR CHRIST, and there's a DEAD MAN..GIVEN TO FLY

"I feel the same way about disco as I do herpes" -Hunter S. Thompson
  • Options
    Originally posted by Raven
    i've read that too. the book i believe is The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. It's a pretty great book. I read it a few months ago for my high school term paper.

interestingly enough, the book has also been cited by Mick Jagger as his inspiration for Sympathy For The Devil.

not to spoil much of the book in case anyone intends on reading it....

Pilate is stranded in another dimension for his unwilingness to stand up for what he believes. It's one of the main themes of the book (cowardice is the greatest sin of all). In the end, he is set free by the Master and his significant other with help from the Devil. When they finally get to him, he has been stranded without anyone except for his dog for thousands of years.

Whoa!... now, that that sounds like my kind of book... :)

I will definetly put that one on my checklist... thanks, :)
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"