Options

Wrigley Field: August 18th and 20th Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    JvollmanJvollman Posts: 129
    wbutler29 said:
    Olds44272 said:
    I have reserve seats for both shows. At least I am in the door. Possibly booking a room at the Hilton garden inn. I need to sort out the train system for the area. If we drive or fly in and rent a car, it is $68 per night for parking at the hotel.

No need for a car.  L train, Uber, cabs are your friends.  Parking is painful.  ($$$ and time).
    100% agree.  No need to rent a car, just familiarize yourself with the L before you come or use cab/uber.  Will be same price if not cheaper then car rental and parking $$.  CTA Red Line stop (Grand/state) is literally right in front of the Hilton Garden Inn and will drop you off at Wrigley...  $2.25 a ride.  All you need.
    First - Chicago, Illinois (March 10, 1994) *
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
    Last - Wrigley (August 20, 2016)
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    $2.25 per person?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    8/18 only. I wasn't going to try for tickets this year but my sister really wanted to go. She hasn't seen them since 2003. So she talked me into it!
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:
    $2.25 per person?
    Yes. 
    In Between - Chicago (9), East Troy (4) Champaign (1), Noblesville (1), Moline (1)
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Thanks! Bring cash. Check!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347
    FoxyRedLa said:
    there's also cta passes, there's a 3 day unlimited pass for $20
    http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/unlimitedridecards.aspx

"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    FoxyRedLa said:
    there's also cta passes, there's a 3 day unlimited pass for $20
    http://www.transitchicago.com/travel_information/fares/unlimitedridecards.aspx

Can't recall whether it was for the 2013 or 2016 shows but I seem to remember someone posted a Groupon for a 3 day pass for a significantly reduced amount. Possible it will be available this summer as well.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    IgotshitIDIgotshitID St.john's Newfoundland Posts: 894
    Still have a night 2 GA too trade for a night 1 GA. If your interested DM me!
    St.John's 9/24/2005
    St.John's 9/25/2005
    Toronto 9/11/2011
    Toronto 9/12/2011
    Quebec City 5/5/2016
    Ottawa 5/8/2016
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Just some various things to do in Chicago for those looking to kill time around the Wrigley shows:

Entertainment :

• Willis (Sears) Tower Skydeck (go early or late, but looks awesome with "the Ledge")
    • Shedd Aquarium (be there by open for smaller crowd...Sunday is their slowest day)
    • Field Museum 
    • Museum of Science and Industry
    • Adler Planetarium 
    • Lincoln Park Zoo (free admission so it may get busy)
    • Navy Pier (Ferris Wheel, botanical garden, etc...)
    • Architecture Tour (in a boat through Chicago)
    • Theater (there are plenty of them around if you want to watch a play)
    • white sox game (cheap and could cross a ballpark of the list - with their weak ass fanbase, a good ticket will be easy to come by)

Food:

• 
    Portillo's (lots of locations - Chicago Dog, Combo sandwich and chocolate cake are all fire!)
    • 
    Garrett Popcorn (lots of locations and worth a visit by all out of towners, trust me)
    • 
    Lou Malnattai's (if you feel the urge to try that Chicago style deep dish)
    • 
    Giordanno's (see above)
    • 
    Kumas Corner (it's like the 3 Floyd's of the burger world)
    • 
    Harry Caray's (downtown, it's kind of like a mini Cubs museum)
    • 
    Smoque BBQ
    • 
    Au Cheval
    • 
    Owen and Engine
    • 
    Gibsons Steakhouse 

Beer:

• Pipeworks (beer to go only, but it's good AF)
    • Revolution
    • Haymarket
    • Half Acre
    • Lagunitas
    • Goose Island 
    • 3 Floyd's (if you're a beer nerd with a car and willing to drive about 30 minutes south east of the city)

Hope some of this helps some people plan a little bit of extra stuff to do during your trips. I tried to keep everything within close proximity to where many out of towners will be staying. Ig you're going to be driving through NW Indiana and want some ideas for things to see/do there or SW Michigan, let me know.

Chris 

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    Good list. There are more and more good breweries all the time.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    I'm there!
  • Options
    How was it getting the red line post the shows in 2016?  If you waited it out a bit and not in a rush is it still crazy to head back to downtown area?  
    How hard to grab an Uber again if you wait it out a bit?  
    Was as there is ‘13 and it was late and crazy (but fun!)

"words and music...keep me floating along" - Jeff Ament
    Tor 93 - Tor 96 - Barrie 98 - Tor 00 - Buffalo 03 - Tor 03 - Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Tor - 05 - Tor 06 - EV Massey Hall I & II Tor 09, Chicago 09, Cleveland 10, Buffalo 10, Tor I & II 2011 - Hamilton 2011 - Vancouver 2011 - Wrigley 13 - Buffalo 13 - Ottawa 16 - Toronto I & II 2016 Fenway 2016 Night 2 - Wrigley 18 I & II - Hamilton & Toronto 2022
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    How was it getting the red line post the shows in 2016?  If you waited it out a bit and not in a rush is it still crazy to head back to downtown area?  
    If you try for the red line after the show, it will be a wait to get on a train.  Uber's will have a surge in pricing if you try to leave since the streets around Wrigley will be closed for the shows.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    Just some various things to do in Chicago for those looking to kill time around the Wrigley shows:

Entertainment :

• Willis (Sears) Tower Skydeck (go early or late, but looks awesome with "the Ledge")
    • Shedd Aquarium (be there by open for smaller crowd...Sunday is their slowest day)
    • Field Museum 
    • Adler Planetarium 
    • white sox game (cheap and could cross a ballpark of the list - with their weak ass fanbase, a good ticket will be easy to come by)

Food:

• 
    Portillo's (lots of locations - Chicago Dog, Combo sandwich and chocolate cake are all fire!)
    • 
    Garrett Popcorn (lots of locations and worth a visit by all out of towners, trust me)
    • 
    • 
    Giordanno's (see above)
    • 
    • 
    • 
    Smoque BBQ
    • 
    Au Cheval
    • 
    Owen and Engine
    • 
    Gibsons Steakhouse 

Beer:

• Revolution
    • Haymarket
    • Half Acre
    • Lagunitas
    • Goose Island 
    • 3 Floyd's (if you're a beer nerd with a car and willing to drive about 30 minutes south east of the city)

Hope some of this helps some people plan a little bit of extra stuff to do during your trips. I tried to keep everything within close proximity to where many out of towners will be staying. Ig you're going to be driving through NW Indiana and want some ideas for things to see/do there or SW Michigan, let me know.

Chris 

Thanks!!! Not privy to the beer scene in ChiTown- very helpful!
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    We were able to get on the train back to downtown with absolutely no problems. Of course we never left directly after any of the shows either. After every show we hit up the bars for some drinks and some late night food. Uber was really easy to obtain as well. Never had any issues staying in Downtown and getting to any of the shows via train or uber. We will be staying in Downtown again this year. 
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Ray J. T. said:
    We were able to get on the train back to downtown with absolutely no problems. Of course we never left directly after any of the shows either. After every show we hit up the bars for some drinks and some late night food. Uber was really easy to obtain as well. Never had any issues staying in Downtown and getting to any of the shows via train or uber. We will be staying in Downtown again this year. 
    Thanks for the info!  I was a little concerned about this as well.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Question for the Chicago peeps.  I was thinking about going to Ditka's for dinner Sunday night.  As a Bears fan I've always wanted to go there.  Is it worth it or would you recommend we go somewhere else?
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    whoyouare72whoyouare72 Chicago IL Posts: 2,070
    KC138045 said:
    Question for the Chicago peeps.  I was thinking about going to Ditka's for dinner Sunday night.  As a Bears fan I've always wanted to go there.  Is it worth it or would you recommend we go somewhere else?
    Go to RPM Steak downtown
  • Options
    KC138045 said:
    Go to RPM Steak downtown
    Signed.  Or Gene and Georgeti's which is a historical, signature Chicago steak joint for a lesser price than Morton's or Gibson's.

Ditka's is pretty good grub too.  It wouldn't be a foolish decision, however there are better steaks, with a better ambience.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744

Entertainment :

• Field Museum 
    • Adler Planetarium 
    white sox game (cheap and could cross a ballpark of the list - with their weak ass fanbase, a good ticket will be easy to come by)

Food:

• 
    • 
    • 
    • 
    Giordanno's (see above)
    • 
    • 
    • 
    Smoque BBQ
    • 
    Au Cheval
    • 
    Owen and Engine
    • 
    Gibsons Steakhouse 

Beer:

• Revolution
    • Haymarket
    • Half Acre
    • Lagunitas
    • Goose Island 

Chris 

Typical Cubs fan talking about attendance.  SMH.  Have fun paying $100 to sit on those metal benches in the bleachers as they continue to price out the average fans.  Being a Sox fan is great...can walk up the day of game and sit in the lower bowl for a reasonable price.  Although that may not last for much longer with the rebuild looking ahead of schedule here.

For beer, I'd add On Tour Brewing and Great Central Brewing to your list.  2 new spots that are right by Goose Island Fulton location.  Really good places.

• Options
    KC138045 said:
    Go to RPM Steak downtown
    Signed.  Or Gene and Georgeti's which is a historical, signature Chicago steak joint for a lesser price than Morton's or Gibson's.

Ditka's is pretty good grub too.  It wouldn't be a foolish decision, however there are better steaks, with a better ambience.
    thanks for the insight
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    KC138045 said:

It's good, but there are so many other better places downtown.  RPM Steak that was mentioned above is awesome.  Bavette's is another really good steakhouse type.  There are so many downtown that it's hard to keep track of.
  • Options

Entertainment :

• Field Museum 
    • Adler Planetarium 

Food:

• 
    • 
    • 
    • 
    Giordanno's (see above)
    • 
    • 
    • 
    Smoque BBQ
    • 
    Au Cheval
    • 
    Owen and Engine
    • 
    Gibsons Steakhouse 

Beer:

• Revolution
    • Haymarket
    • Half Acre
    • Lagunitas
    • Goose Island 

Chris 

No need to be so cold to us White Sox fans!!!!
  • Options

Entertainment :

• Field Museum 
    • Adler Planetarium 
    white sox game (cheap and could cross a ballpark of the list - with their weak ass fanbase, a good ticket will be easy to come by)

Food:

• 
    • 
    • 
    • 
    Giordanno's (see above)
    • 
    • 
    • 
    Smoque BBQ
    • 
    Au Cheval
    • 
    Owen and Engine
    • 
    Gibsons Steakhouse 

Beer:

• Revolution
    • Haymarket
    • Half Acre
    • Lagunitas
    • Goose Island 

Chris 

Typical Cubs fan talking about attendance.  SMH.  Have fun paying $100 to sit on those metal benches in the bleachers as they continue to price out the average fans.  Being a Sox fan is great...can walk up the day of game and sit in the lower bowl for a reasonable price.  Although that may not last for much longer with the rebuild looking ahead of schedule here.

For beer, I'd add On Tour Brewing and Great Central Brewing to your list.  2 new spots that are right by Goose Island Fulton location.  Really good places.

+1 on Sox
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,763
    Jvollman said:
    No need to be so cold to us White Sox fans!!!!
    :lol:

Hey, the shoe was on the other foot from 2005-2016 and I took it on the chin like a champ. I try to be fair about it. I despise the Sox, but I really enjoy when both teams are really good, just like at the start of 2016. We all got to bust each others chops and it was fun. Telling someone their team sucks, when their team in fact does suck, is kind of boring after the 1st time. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    KC138045 said:
    Go to RPM Steak downtown

We love hitting up Gibsons but will also usually hit up Ditka's another night as it's next door to the hotel and I definitely agree that the ambiance isn't top notch but having said that it's actually far better than I expected and we were there with little ones and the staff was fantastic and the food we ordered was well-prepared and enjoyable. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    stateofloveandpjstateofloveandpj Posts: 460
    edited February 2018
    Ray J. T. said:

Thanks for the info. Plan is to take our time leaving the show and grabbing a beer before we head back to the hotel. 
    Post edited by stateofloveandpj on

"words and music...keep me floating along" - Jeff Ament
    Tor 93 - Tor 96 - Barrie 98 - Tor 00 - Buffalo 03 - Tor 03 - Kitchener 05 - London 05 - Hamilton 05 - Tor - 05 - Tor 06 - EV Massey Hall I & II Tor 09, Chicago 09, Cleveland 10, Buffalo 10, Tor I & II 2011 - Hamilton 2011 - Vancouver 2011 - Wrigley 13 - Buffalo 13 - Ottawa 16 - Toronto I & II 2016 Fenway 2016 Night 2 - Wrigley 18 I & II - Hamilton & Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,861
    Ray J. T. said:

Thanks for the info. Plan is to take our time leaving the show and grabbing a beer before we head back to the hotel. 
    That's the way to do it. We will be doing the same. Maybe we will catch each other at one of the bars before or after the shows. 
  • Options
    When I saw PJ in Wrigley 2016 I got a room at the Hilton Ohare and took the train to the show. Planning on doing the same again.

• Options
    I may have an extra ticket though cause I just broke up with the gf.......