Safeco Open Roof vs Closed Roof

CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
I'd love to have one show open and one show closed. Nothing beats a nice summer night with the open air...but something tells me my ears will be enjoying a typical Rainy Seattle Day with the roof closed a little more
Have there been any Concert goers who have seen shows here who can give us their 2 cents?

Comments

• choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    It’s not going to be raining in August, they won’t close the roof. 
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • choop said:
    While it doesn't usually rain in Seattle, we get so much rain here, anything is possible, the acoustics would be better with the roof closed though, but the ambiance would be better with it open, so not sure which one would ultimately be better
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    I always wanted to see a Mariners game there, always stayed up late when I was younger and Safeco opened watching the 10-11pm East Coast time being a Yankees fan. Hearing the train.... watching those great great M’s teams battle my Yankees. Seattle always being a mythical place due to my musical heroes calling it home.

went in 2013 to my 1st show in Seattle.... had a tremendous time taking it all in... Seafood, having a puff or 2 walking the city.... love the city more than just the music. 

i was in the very last row(end zone near Safeco) of the Seahawks stadium 2 yrs ago vs Cardinals (birthday gift weekend surprise trip) and kept on looking over saying that place must be great (Safeco) to watch a baseball game. Also thought good idea if PJ played there.

See you in August
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    edited January 2018
    choop said:
    It's totally possible that it might rain. It's not super likely, but it wouldn't be all that unusual either. The average August rainfall in Seattle is 8 - 27mm, apparently.

Even if it's not raining (which it probably won't be), I personally want them to do whatever makes them sound best. I don't want to try an open roof just because it's nice if it sounds better closed.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    choop said:
    It's totally possible that it might rain. It's not super likely, but it wouldn't be all that unusual either. The average August rainfall in Seattle is 8 - 27mm, apparently.

Even if it's not raining (which it probably won't be), I personally want them to do whatever makes them sound best. I don't want to try an open roof just because it's nice if it sounds better closed.
    Agreed. I don't think it will rain (less than a 10% chance), but if it isn't raining the open/close decision should be based on acoustics. Ballparks and stadiums are acoustically sub-optimal, so they should do whatever they can to make it sound as clean as possible.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • I'm also from Portland and agree with Choop.  Very unlikely that its raining.  I was curious that someone mentioned they thought acoustics would be better with the roof closed...I was thinking the opposite.  My guess is the roof is open rain or shine.
    Gorge
  • ZeldaZonkZeldaZonk Posts: 614
    I'm local and have been to various outdoor concerts in July and August, and fortunately I haven't dealt with any rain. We had an unusually hot week last year during the first week of August, but no rain. 
    Forever feeling the sting of Raleigh 2016
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    I remember this one time it seemed unlikely that weather would ruin a show in Chicago in July, and then there was a hellish heat wave plus a massive thunder and lightening storm that stopped the show and delayed it for 3 hours and just about ruined the whole damn thing. :lol:;) Never assume anything when it comes to mother nature!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,796
    PJ_Soul said:
    I remember this one time it seemed unlikely that weather would ruin a show in Chicago in July, and then there was a hellish heat wave plus a massive thunder and lightening storm that stopped the show and delayed it for 3 hours and just about ruined the whole damn thing. :lol:;) Never assume anything when it comes to mother nature!

The worst was trying to get a cab home after.... that night went on forever 
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,532
    I live about 80 miles northwest of Seattle, so the climate is fairly similar.  Growing up, if you were a betting person.  The best weather we get all year was the first two weeks of August.  Now the summers have been growing longer/hotter, but those first two weeks of August are still amazing.

I'm hoping for an open roof on a sunny day.  Something about outdoor shows... I love 'em.