Options

Scalpers - is there nothing that can done!

2»

Comments

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    falcon wrote:
    That would never happen. PJ's fans are more into the band now than ever.
    Quick sidebar, did you get your name from the Latex factory?

Exactly and for the same reason you are never going to get everyone to stop buying tickets from ticketmaster/scalpers.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    Get_Right wrote:
    this is a big part of the problem.
    requiring TM or LN to make 100% of its tickets available to the PUBLIC would hurt the scalpers ability to score prime tickets-I know for a fact that many of the best seats do not get released to the public EVER.

there is no way to compel TM or LN to sell every ticket to the public...the bands and promoters place their holds on seats before the on-sales, and since we are dealing with private (non-monopalistic) companies here, you can't require them to do anything in terms of how they sell tickets.
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    I think ticket scalping in the old sense of someone selling tickets on the street for a huge mark up is kind of a cool example of supply and demand, willingness to pay, preferences, etc (ok, I'm an econ dork). and it would be cool except that they take almost ALL the tickets. so it becomes less about demand and more about supply. it's like when apple purposely doesn't release iphones, same deal.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,445
    If everyone refrained from buying tickets from scalpers/ticketmaster how long do you think it would be before the band stopped touring?

It would be a domino effect....bands may threaten to stop touring, so, to prevent a huge loss of business, TM would hopefully be forced to lower their fees.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    It would be a domino effect....bands may threaten to stop touring, so, to prevent a huge loss of business, TM would hopefully be forced to lower their fees.

I think it would be less of a domino effect and more of a standoff situation. People stop going to shows because of fees and/or scalping, the band says with no one showing up they can't afford to tour. Then is it is just a matter of who blinks first the band or ticketmaster. I think the band would stand to lose much more in a situation like this because Ticketmaster sells tickets to so many other events that losing one act wouldn't really be a deathblow I don't think.