Options

This consumeristic society and how to cope in it

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
Not sure if this belongs in AMT or AET but anyways,
I'm kind of feeling down tonight about the way our society has become.
I don't know about the USA and elsewhere but here in my city I feel like everyone is overly and only absorbed in the brands they possess.
My two nieces for example, nothing is ever enough for them, they get spoilt rotten, expensive brands yet still unhappy and wanting more. And they have bad attitudes towards their elders.
It's all about the lates iPhone, Gucci this, Armani that.
My niece got a $1,000 AUD pair of Gucci sneakers from her boyfriend as a gift for their anniversary.
How the hell can sneakers be so expensive? Why, because it has the Gucci name on them.
And both nieces and their friends are obsessed about their phones and they too have attitude problems.
I don't know, I am just venting here.
Can't hold a conversation without brands being brought up.
Feeling alone.
How do you cope with this society so infatuated with brands?
This society where people line up outside Apple stores for hours to secure a fucking phone.
This society where people max out their credit cards on bullshit.
All while there are more important things in life like homelessness, poverty, famine, war, violence etc.
I wish I could do a Luke Skywalker and vanish to an island hideaway.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Opt out.
    You don't need an island, you just need to get rural.
    Farmers don't give a shit about Gucci, that's something akin to cecal poop at my place.

That's not exactly true, my wife sells Gucci glasses, and the fools who buy them are a boon lol
    There are brands in life that are known for quality products, and I'm ok with those being popular.  That being said, it's a far cry to get from Patagonia to Gucci or Coach.

Opt-out bro!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Opt out.
    You don't need an island, you just need to get rural.
    Farmers don't give a shit about Gucci, that's something akin to cecal poop at my place.

That's not exactly true, my wife sells Gucci glasses, and the fools who buy them are a boon lol
    There are brands in life that are known for quality products, and I'm ok with those being popular.  That being said, it's a far cry to get from Patagonia to Gucci or Coach.

Opt-out bro!
    I actually thought about country living.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    I’m 57 in three yrs w are planning on moving from here Long Island where you see a lot of what you described all around me , moving to Oregon ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Like some of you, I live in a semi-rural area (although like almost every place in California, it is growing and becoming less rural).  I would like to be even more out in the country one of these years.  But I don't know how much that relates to being consumerist or stuck on fancy brand names.  I think a lot of rural people are just as  consumerist as city folk.  To me, the important thing about consumption is know the difference between "need" and "want"  (I love that line from the R.E.M. song "Finest Work Song" that goes "what we want and what we need has been confused, been confused") and to borrow things responsibly or buy things that can be shared, and especially be aware of what is durable and what is crap.  So much of what is sold today falls under the description "planned obsolescence".  Wendell Berry talks about this sort of thing a lot in his writings. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    How do I cope?  I don't participate or let it get under my skin, simple as that.

Shit my husband and I need or desire (because it IS alright to want stuff), we're sure we can afford to pay for it upfront and do our due diligence on its ultimate value.

I've found that, most times anyway, if something doesn't directly affect me, I let it go.  There are more pressing and stressing things in my life - in this life - about which to worry.  Someone wants to wait hours in line for a product?  Have at it.  People do it for tickets, concert merchandise, you name it.

Has no bearing on my life.  Thank god.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    How do I cope?  I don't participate or let it get under my skin, simple as that.

Shit my husband and I need or desire (because it IS alright to want stuff), we're sure we can afford to pay for it upfront and do our due diligence on its ultimate value.

I've found that, most times anyway, if something doesn't directly affect me, I let it go.  There are more pressing and stressing things in my life - in this life - about which to worry.  Someone wants to wait hours in line for a product?  Have at it.  People do it for tickets, concert merchandise, you name it.

I understand not judging the individual, but doesn't it give you concern for the future of society and  humanity at large?
    There are definitely bigger issues hurting humanity, namely our unending capacity for hurting each other, but that is an issue at the very core of our species that can't be rooted out.
    Consumerism is a new issue that arises from philosophy and ideology, and it's taking a terrible toll on the planet and on those unfortunate souls who bear the cost of our cheap, throw-away goods and values.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    hedonist said:

I understand not judging the individual, but doesn't it give you concern for the future of society and  humanity at large?
    There are definitely bigger issues hurting humanity, namely our unending capacity for hurting each other, but that is an issue at the very core of our species that can't be rooted out.
    Consumerism is a new issue that arises from philosophy and ideology, and it's taking a terrible toll on the planet and on those unfortunate souls who bear the cost of our cheap, throw-away goods and values.
    The strongest evidence I've come across to support what you're saying about our consumer toll of the planet is expressed by the concept  of "Earth Overshoot Day".  No doubt, that exact day is difficult to measure precisely, but I do believe it is calculated fairly closely- at least close enough that it serves well as a wake up call.  Last year, that day fell on August  2nd.  In 2016 that day was August 8th.  It falls earlier each year.  It may well be that at some point in July of this year, we will have consumed all of the natural renewable resources the earth has provided and everything else consumed after that  comes out of future generations.

I too would not judge any individual regarding this issue but at the same time, it certainly looks line one we would all do well to think about and act on to what ever degree we can.  To do otherwise is to accept or even support the notion of a world inhospitable (or at the very least one extremely difficult to live in) for future generations.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    rgambs said:
    hedonist said:

It does, gambs, but if some choose that route - purchasing, not part of the shitshow of producing - then they get what they pay for, and not just monetarily.  I just feel that I can worry to an extent, but if I have no control over that / them, yet do over myself, I have to focus on the latter.
  • Options
    If only people cared about the world as much as they do about their iPhones and designer clothes and accessories.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    hedonist said:

It does, gambs, but if some choose that route - purchasing, not part of the shitshow of producing - then they get what they pay for, and not just monetarily.  I just feel that I can worry to an extent, but if I have no control over that / them, yet do over myself, I have to focus on the latter.

Correct.

I'm not going to apologize for my existence. I try to do my best as I've detailed in previous posts (buy locally, buy ethically, small garden, etc.), but my ecological footprint is too big and will always be too big until the day comes when I cannot enjoy the things I enjoy anymore.

What is the ultimate goal? We are way too late for sustainability with 8 billion people on the planet. If a plague or war wipes out 6 billion... we can look to address previous mistakes and manage ourselves appropriately from there; however, this scenario is unlikely.

What is more likely is a massive climate shift that is going to trim the population. So for now... what do we do? Do we enjoy what we have (this great gift of life afforded to us by a chain of scientific events)... or do we try and squeeze a few extra generations at the tail end of our existence as we know it?
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    jnimhaoileoinjnimhaoileoin Baile Átha Cliath Posts: 2,682
    Doesn't bother me what other people are into, as long as they're not hurting anyone. Can't say I've ever really noticed it anyway, perhaps not much of an issue in Ireland
  • Options
    Doesn't bother me what other people are into, as long as they're not hurting anyone. Can't say I've ever really noticed it anyway, perhaps not much of an issue in Ireland
    I want to go live on Skellig Michael.
  • Options
    Ha, sorry, Sceilig Mhichíl is under enough threat from all the Star Wars nuts!
  • Options
    I am more than willing to protect it from Star Wars nuts whilst living on it. All the Irish government has to do is supply me with food and drinking water.
  • Options
    I am more than willing to protect it from Star Wars nuts whilst living on it. All the Irish government has to do is supply me with food and drinking water.
    Yeah good luck with that :tongue: We can't even sort out our homeless problem so I wouldn't hold your breath!
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664
    Try to surround yourself with people who aren’t as stuck on social status and posessions. It can make for a good balance when you get around people who are into it. It also helps to recognize your own attachment to physical things and consumerism. I own five bicycles and 25 pearl jam t shirts, so in a way there’s elements of this attachment to things in all of us. 
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,664
    I’m 57 in three yrs w are planning on moving from here Long Island where you see a lot of what you described all around me , moving to Oregon ...
    I haven’t been to long island, but people comment that things are different here then compared to the northeast. People are more interested in things you’re involved in and your interests, rather than your work and trying to figure out your income. I’ve hung out with friends off and on for years and some of them I have no idea what they do for work. Now people are very interested in outdoor gear here!
  • Options
    Try to surround yourself with people who aren’t as stuck on social status and posessions. It can make for a good balance when you get around people who are into it. It also helps to recognize your own attachment to physical things and consumerism. I own five bicycles and 25 pearl jam t shirts, so in a way there’s elements of this attachment to things in all of us. 
    Yeah, I covet high tech camping and backpacking gear and clothing, and I wear top shelf eyeglasses/sunglasses because my wife is an Optometrist who owns her own practice.
    I also covet well-made hand and analog tools, but I don't count that toward consumption disease.
  • Options
    The only things I covet are music albums. 
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    The only things I covet are music albums. 
    This is what I was just thinking!  Albums and books.  Maybe it's just because of where I live (particularly true being an American) but there is so much used stuff around that almost all of what I buy are recycled products.  Books, records, clothes, dishes, furniture.  I live like a king and hardly ever buy anything new.  We rewash plastic bags (often salvaged from other who would throw them in the trash) and use them many times over.  We buy from bulk bins when ever possible.  I never buy new boxes to ship the books I sell.  The world is full of cardboard.  My garage in converted into my book business and is lined floor to ceiling with shelves, almost all of them (all the 20,000 or so books and most of the shelves) are recycled.  I do occasionally make a new purchase to replace an electrical component that goes out but often even those are used and if I buy new, I spend a lot of time researching what I buy looking for the most durable.  I fully expect to run my car to at least 300,000 miles.  Why are there so many cars for sale with low mileage? (Simple answer: most are crap and few are properly maintained). It kind of amazes me that businesses that sell new stuff are able to make a go of it.  How do they sell so much new stuff?  Why do people buy so much new stuff?  It boggles my mind!
    Post edited by brianlux on

• Options
    Nice work, Brian.

• Options
    I blame the Kardashians
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    I don’t care for famous brands. I think though that it’s better to buy quality in general. I think the conditions for workers making cheap clothes are worse but (I’m not completely sure but I think so) It’s also better to buy locally produced off course. I think we should try to not have so much of everything to live more simple. :)
  • Options
    I buy my clothes from a budget label. Socially conscious company.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,314
    I haven’t been to long island, but people comment that things are different here then compared to the northeast. People are more interested in things you’re involved in and your interests, rather than your work and trying to figure out your income. I’ve hung out with friends off and on for years and some of them I have no idea what they do for work. Now people are very interested in outdoor gear here!
    Yep that’s what we are looking for a state that offers more of what we wanna do & see def more outdoor fun and milder winters ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,836
    I think when Hedonist is saying is where I'm at. It still bothers me quite a bit when I see videos of children being bowled over by "adults" on black friday for a fucking tv, but I try to believe that's not the norm. And even if it is, all I can do is what I do myself. And teach my girls the evils of out of control consumerism and how it, in the end, doesn't make you happy. they are young, so it's hard to drive the concept home, but they do get it. I have showed them the aforementioned videos and they think it's disgusting what people will do for a "thing". My older daughter has some attachment issues (she hugged the fridge when we had to get a new one), but my younger one is very "ah, I don't use it, let's give it away to someone who can't afford it". Which warms my heart. 

we try to teach them that experiences are much more valuable than stuff. they get it, when they get to go to the cottage and can only bring a few toys (and no electronics) and they are happier there than they are at home with all their possessions. 

now where's my fucking christmas single dammit! 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,881
    I think when Hedonist is saying is where I'm at. It still bothers me quite a bit when I see videos of children being bowled over by "adults" on black friday for a fucking tv, but I try to believe that's not the norm. And even if it is, all I can do is what I do myself. And teach my girls the evils of out of control consumerism and how it, in the end, doesn't make you happy. they are young, so it's hard to drive the concept home, but they do get it. I have showed them the aforementioned videos and they think it's disgusting what people will do for a "thing". My older daughter has some attachment issues (she hugged the fridge when we had to get a new one), but my younger one is very "ah, I don't use it, let's give it away to someone who can't afford it". Which warms my heart. 

we try to teach them that experiences are much more valuable than stuff. they get it, when they get to go to the cottage and can only bring a few toys (and no electronics) and they are happier there than they are at home with all their possessions. 

now where's my fucking christmas single dammit! 
    holiday. Holiday single , with NO distinction of WHICH holiday either!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Holiday Single?   What Holiday Single?  :lol:

• Options
    I blame the Kardashians
    ^This was the beginning of the end along with The Jersey Shore and Paris Hilton...

I do enjoy quality clothes, food and drink.

I also carry my own reusable shopping bags, recycle and grow a garden.

I also do not participate too much on Instagram and twitter, I do though, spend a bit of time on here and FB...

Whomever mentioned "rural living" has got the right idea!  I actually would like to Homestead but can't find a partner that would, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited January 2018
    I will first admit that 1) while I think the price is outrageous and would never pay it, the new Gucci sneakers are fucking fantastic looking, and 2) I recently bought an expensive pair of Gucci eyeglass frames, although got them half off, and that half was actually covered by my extended healthcare insurance, so I'm pretty sure I'm still on the up and up as far as not buying into the branding bullshit goes, haha. :tongue:

Yes, materialism is out of control in our society, and it's not actually the need to pay for a brand that bothers me so much. I mean, it's crazy, but at least you can usually find quality there too. What disturbs me more is how so many people - most people - are living way beyond their means because society has somehow created this kind of baseline for living conditions that is WAAAAAAY higher than it should be. I.e. even those who are barely above the poverty line are "expected" (by themselves and everyone else) to somehow live in a comfortable home that is properly furnished, and have a laptop, flat screen, and car. And their clothes are supposed to be nice. And if they can't do all that, they are LOSERS. Wow, talk about unfair and destructive. I know when my parents were younger, they and everyone they knew were basically using milk crates for furniture and shit. They seriously didn't spend money on anything that wasn't an absolute necessity or second hand (or both) unless they truly could afford it and pay for it up front. That was normal back then. PEOPLE LIVED WITHIN THEIR MEANS, and people understood. It really is too bad that the new "normal" is so fucking misaligned with everyone's finances. Even people with money don't live within their means, and it's all because of what society has become - our expectations for ourselves and others are all out of wack. And credit debt is so fucking out of control because everyone needs all the stuff that they can't actually afford, I don't know how most people aren't having mental breakdowns over it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata