Sue Grafton dies: A cruel twist of fate.

brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,625
edited December 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/obituaries/sue-grafton-dies-best-selling-mystery-author.html

That's I call it anyway.  I've been shelving her books for ever, watching them progress through the alphabet all the way to y...  and why must she die before "Z"?  A sad and cruel twist of fate.  :frowning:
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Uhhhhh... shot to the gut. My mom got me into these novels years ago. I have regularly inherited her used Grafton paperbacks. Z is for Zinger?

What would her final novel have been named?
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,625
    Uhhhhh... shot to the gut. My mom got me into these novels years ago. I have regularly inherited her used Grafton paperbacks. Z is for Zinger?

She already had named her last novel, "Z for Zero".  Her daughter said there will be no "Z" book/ no ghost writer.  In fact, the daughter said, "For my family, the alphabet ends in Y".

Grafton started out as a screenplay writer though she said few were published and most went into the trash.  When she got "A is for Alibi" published, that was her big breakthrough and she was done with screen writing.  It was also her wish that none of her alphabet books would ever be made into movies.

Quite a lady, quite a legacy. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,759
    brianlux said:
    Uhhhhh... shot to the gut. My mom got me into these novels years ago. I have regularly inherited her used Grafton paperbacks. Z is for Zinger?

She already had named her last novel, "Z for Zero".  Her daughter said there will be no "Z" book/ no ghost writer.  In fact, the daughter said, "For my family, the alphabet ends in Y".

Grafton started out as a screenplay writer though she said few were published and most went into the trash.  When she got "A is for Alibi" published, that was her big breakthrough and she was done with screen writing.  It was also her wish that none of her alphabet books would ever be made into movies.

I'm sure that'll change. 
    I miss igotid88
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,625
    edited December 2017
    igotid88 said:
    brianlux said:

I'm sure that'll change. 
    The part about not making her books into movies?  I'd be surprised.  She stated on her site, "Hollywood can't believe writers aren't panting for the money and the recognition -- the glamor of film -- but I wrote in Hollywood for 15 years and believe me, I'm cured."   Her family is adamant about carrying out her wishes.  My guess is most of her fans will respect that wish as well. Time will tell!

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    I hope her family does respect her wishes. Her books entertained me for hours on end for many years. I can imagine myself in Kinsey's dwelling, smelling Henry baking something in the early morning hours. :(.