where to stay in Berlin

Hey there,
just want to ask, where will you stay, if you attend the show in Berlin? ok, it´s a long time till then, but I´m en route solo and it would be nice, meeting some fine peaople:-)

Comments

• larisalarisa Posts: 11
    people...of course I meant people...

• I think I might get an airbnb, haven' booked anything yet 
  • There are a lot of Airbnb options.  Berlin is obviously a very big city, and I've seen several different recommended neighborhoods, depending on what you're looking for.  The venue is on the western side of the city, so keep that in mind if you prefer to stay somewhat close to the venue.
    5/28/06 - Camden, NJ
    5/30/06 - Washington, DC
    6/22/08 - Washington, DC
    10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA
    8/5/16 - Fenway Park
    Temple of the Dog - 11/5/2016 - Philadelphia, PA
    7/1/2018 - Prague
    7/3/2018 - Kraków
    7/5/2018 - Berlin
  • close to alexanderplatz
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • alesekalesek Posts: 809
    Yeah, Berlin is huge so we ve booked us closer to the venue - Kaiserdamm area. 
    14/6/00 Prague 22/9/06 Prague 12/6/07 Munich 15/8/09 Berlin 22/06/10 Dublin 23/06/10 Belfast 30/06/10 Berlin 26/06/12 Amsterdam 02/07/12 Prague 04/07/12 Berlin 05/07/12 Berlin 07/07/12 Stockholm 09/07/12 Oslo 10/07/12 Copenhagen 25/6/14 Vienna 26/6/14 Berlin 1/7/18 Prague 3/7/18 Krakow 5/7/18 Berlin
  • Leonardo Hotel Berlin. Was pretty good Price a few days back and i think ist not that far from the venue.
    96 Hamburg, 00 Hamburg, 06 Berlin, 07 Hurricane Festival
    10 London, 12 Amsterdam I & II, Copenhagen,  13 London & Chicago
    14 Amsterdam, Mailand, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    15 Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte, Rio
    18 Amsterdam, London², Prag, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Posts: 192
    edited December 2017
    I hope this helps a little. I am by no means a local, but I have been to Berlin a few times. 

If you look at a map of Berlin, you'll see a big fat green space in the middle, called "Tiergarten". Most of the "touristy" things are happening just to the East of that. There is plenty of accommodation around there. 

Further East you find the more alternative areas like Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain (F-Hain). Esp in F-Hain there are still many cool bars and other alternative places even though there is a lot of gentrification everywhere these days. If you are new to Berlin, want a little sight seeing and some of that old school alternative Berlin-feeling, I recommend staying somewhere around "Boxhagener Platz".

The venue where PJ are playing is in the West though, North West to be exact, next to the Olympia Stadium. The closest underground stop is also called Olympia Stadion and you can take line number 2 to get there. 
    There is also a S-Bahn (Schnell Bahn "Fast Tram/Train") stop close by called Pichelsberg. You can take the S5 to get there. 
    Both stop at Alexander Platz and Bahnhof Zoo/Zoologischer Garten which are major stops and you will be able to catch other lines there to where ever you are going. 

Public transport in Berlin is very good, even at night when the underground and S-Bahn stop running there are night buses. But it can take a while to get where you want to go, especially when there is construction going on. So, if you are staying in the East plan plenty of time to get to the venue. Last time we arrived a little late because there were diversions and the non 10Cs were already in the venue. 

Post edited by Miss.Snowdrop on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,430
    I hope this helps a little. I am by no means a local, but I have been to Berlin a few times. 

If you look at a map of Berlin, you'll see a big fat green space in the middle, called "Tiergarten". Most of the "touristy" things are happening just to the East of that. There is plenty of accommodation around there. 

Further East you find the more alternative areas like Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain (F-Hain). Esp in F-Hain there are still many cool bars and other alternative places even though there is a lot of gentrification everywhere these days. If you are new to Berlin, want a little sight seeing and some of that old school alternative Berlin-feeling, I recommend staying somewhere around "Boxhagener Platz".

The venue where PJ are playing is in the West though, North West to be exact, next to the Olympia Stadium. The closest underground stop is also called Olympia Stadion and you can take line number 2 to get there. 
    There is also a S-Bahn (Schnell Bahn "Fast Tram/Train") stop close by called Pichelsberg. You can take the S5 to get there. 
    Both stop at Alexander Platz and Bahnhof Zoo which are major stops and you will be able to catch other lines there to where ever you are going. 

Public transport in Berlin is very good, even at night when the underground and S-Bahn stop running there are night buses. But it can take a while to get where you want to go, especially when there is construction going on. So, if you are staying in the East plan plenty of time to get to the venue. Last time we arrived a little late because there were diversions and the non 10Cs were already in the venue. 
    Great info thanks. I am just south of the Zoo so I should be able to get to all of the tourist attractions east of me no problem by transit by the sounds of it as well as get to and from the concert fairly easy. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    I always stay in Mitte. Great bars and restaurants. The Friedrichstraße station is close by and takes you anywhere you need to go.
  • PJNB said:

Great info thanks. I am just south of the Zoo so I should be able to get to all of the tourist attractions east of me no problem by transit by the sounds of it as well as get to and from the concert fairly easy. 
    Yeah, Zoo is pretty much halfway between the Venue and Anlexanderplatz, which is here a lot f things like museums, monuments and other tourist attractions are. The area around Zoo used to have a bit of bad rep(don't know, if that is still the case) but for public transport, it's ideal

• I hope this helps a little. I am by no means a local, but I have been to Berlin a few times. 

Both stop at Alexander Platz and Bahnhof Zoo/Zoologischer Garten which are major stops and you will be able to catch other lines there to where ever you are going. 

Hey. Larisa......I am from Berlin.

agree with the above...just one small correction about the public transport :D  
    S-BAHN doesn't mean fast train- it means Stadtbahn = City TRAIN, then there are the Trams which mainly run in East-Berlin and then
    you´ve got the UBAHN which is is Untergrund= Underground/ Subway.
    If you stay anywhere near Alexanderplatz- Hauptbahnhof- Zoologischer Garten-Charlottenburg you will easily get to the venue by S-Bahn. (S3 and S9 usually run every 10 min)
    (The S 5 doesn't go to Pichelsberg station!)
    Berlin´s Public Transport:     http://www.bvg.de/en

I am a little biased about Friedrichshain because I live in Kreuzberg and I think its way better ;o)  
    but thats a question of age and preference. 

Neighborhood Guide: https://www.visitberlin.de/en/neighbourhoods-berlin

Take care 

• kermie13 said:

Hey. Larisa......I am from Berlin.

agree with the above...just one small correction about the public transport :D  
    S-BAHN doesn't mean fast train- it means Stadtbahn = City TRAIN, then there are the Trams which mainly run in East-Berlin and then
    you´ve got the UBAHN which is is Untergrund= Underground/ Subway.
    If you stay anywhere near Alexanderplatz- Hauptbahnhof- Zoologischer Garten-Charlottenburg you will easily get to the venue by S-Bahn. (S3 and S9 usually run every 10 min)
    (The S 5 doesn't go to Pichelsberg station!)
    Berlin´s Public Transport:     http://www.bvg.de/en

I am a little biased about Friedrichshain because I live in Kreuzberg and I think its way better ;o)  
    but thats a question of age and preference. 

Neighborhood Guide: https://www.visitberlin.de/en/neighbourhoods-berlin

Take care 

Someone from Berlin - even better :-)
    Sorry, if I gave the wrong information about the S5 came but it from the website of the "Waldbuehne" maybe theirs outdated... :s 
    http://www.waldbuehne-berlin.de/service_anfahrt___parken.html
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,659
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• larisalarisa Posts: 11
    Thanks fo all the informations :)
  • Cosimo82Cosimo82 Posts: 325
    I booked an airbnb in cauerstrasse, Charlotteburg, 10587 berlin for 60€ x 1 night. Has at least 3 beds. If someone is interested in sharing just pm me
  • eddiec said:
    I always stay in Mitte. Great bars and restaurants. The Friedrichstraße station is close by and takes you anywhere you need to go.
    This neighborhood looks awesome. It's easy to get to and from the Venue?
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 480
    Looking for a nice hotel convenient to the venue... 
  • I'm taying in Mitte area, has good connections for venue, airports and main sights apparently!
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Posts: 2,938
    edited January 2018
    If you'd like some culture, can't recommend Friedrichshain anymore for getting away from the bustle of the main part of the city, but still having a cool mix of bars, nightlife, etc. Reminded me of Brooklyn, almost: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrichshain

AND it's close to the Berlin Wall.....
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,131
    I'm taying in Mitte area, has good connections for venue, airports and main sights apparently!
    We booked there..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..