Did You Swallow The Red Pill? Are you part of the incel community?

BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
edited April 2018 in A Moving Train
If you did....man up......and tell us......

Swallowing the Red Pill: a journey to the heart of modern misogyny
The online community hosted on Reddit is where men go to air their toxic views about women.           
Post edited by Bentleyspop on

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Kind of an interesting article, so thanks for posting. On a technical level, I found his writing style a bit disjointed; he didn't seem to bring all his threads together. 

I've heard of that "community", for lack of a better word, but haven't ever bothered to read it specifically. I doubt it has more in it than you can find in the comments section of almost any other news or social media site you care to look at; it's just gathered in one place. 

The interesting question, indeed, is how close or how far apart are our anonymous online selves and our in person selves. I wonder about that often when I read this forum. 

As an aside, I have found it somewhat amusing how surprised many men seem to be by the recent explosion of reports and allegations of sexual harassment and sexual assault. Women, in general, aren't surprised at all. Maybe about the odd guy, who we all thought was one of the good guys, but in general, no. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Misogynists are some might creepy dudes.  I would rather visit a cave full of rats on amphetamines than to visit that Red Pill site. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small.....

Guessing they took the latter.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    Misogynists are some might creepy dudes.  I would rather visit a cave full of rats on amphetamines than to visit that Red Pill site. 
    The people ( I hesitate to use the word men) on that site also tend to be white supremacists, homophobes, and anti-Semitic in addition to  being anti woman.
    On a related note, I remember reading an article recently in which a self-identied alt-right woman was complaining about how the alt-right men don't respect her opinions. She wanted to be free to make her own choices about her body and her life, to speak for herself.......

i shook my head at her stupidity, but it also made me a little angry. She expects rights and freedoms that other have fought and even died for, by denigrates the very ethos that won those freedoms. 
    brianlux said:
    The people ( I hesitate to use the word men) on that site also tend to be white supremacists, homophobes, and anti-Semitic in addition to  being anti woman.
    No doubt!  I'd rather hang with rattlesnakes on amphetamines than those creeps.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Rattlesnakes on speed would be fun
    Mysoginistic racists not so much
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Rattlesnakes on speed would be fun
    Mysoginistic racists not so much
    What made me think of the analogy was Truman Capote's story "Hand Carved Coffins".   The images evoked in that story... yeow!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Kind of an interesting article, so thanks for posting. On a technical level, I found his writing style a bit disjointed; he didn't seem to bring all his threads together. 

I've heard of that "community", for lack of a better word, but haven't ever bothered to read it specifically. I doubt it has more in it than you can find in the comments section of almost any other news or social media site you care to look at; it's just gathered in one place. 

The interesting question, indeed, is how close or how far apart are our anonymous online selves and our in person selves. I wonder about that often when I read this forum. 

As an aside, I have found it somewhat amusing how surprised many men seem to be by the recent explosion of reports and allegations of sexual harassment and sexual assault. Women, in general, aren't surprised at all. Maybe about the odd guy, who we all thought was one of the good guys, but in general, no. 
    Absolutely... and TBH, I feel a little irked about this. I mean, women have been regularly telling everyone about this for ever... nobody gave a shit until they realized famous people were doing it too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    https://medium.com/@swayze/7-signs-you-are-being-emotionally-swayed-for-political-and-financial-gain-1c34cf495803

Interesting read! The author gets into more detail, I copied the 7 points.

7 Signs You are being Emotionally Manipulated for Political and Financial Gain

And what I’m seeing, as someone who doesn’t identify with any of the political parties, is that you are being manipulated like a puppet.

To prove it, I’ll give you 7 signs that you’re being manipulated. Remember folks, politics is marketing. The sooner you figure this out, the better equipped you’ll be to disengage from this process and resist those who want to do our country harm. (Whatever that actually means…)

Sign №1: Your opinions align with others of your ideological alignment more often than not.

Sign №2: You react to headlines predictably.

Sign №3: You have the same “enemies” as your group.

Sign №4: In arguments, you resort to ad hominem attacks more frequently than you notice.

Sign №5: You feel wounded when a member of your group deviates in thought and respect the individual less as a result

Sign №6: You seek to silence dissenting speech and openly advocate for action (anywhere from shaming and assaults on Twitter to physical violence).

Sign №7: You share this post with friends of similar political ideology, perfectly sure that none of these apply to “your side”.

edited December 2017
    Hmm. You are being manipulated if your opinions tend to match the opinions of those who tend to have the same opinions as you. Golly. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    JC29856 said:
    https://medium.com/@swayze/7-signs-you-are-being-emotionally-swayed-for-political-and-financial-gain-1c34cf495803

Interesting read! The author gets into more detail, I copied the 7 points.

7 Signs You are being Emotionally Manipulated for Political and Financial Gain

And what I’m seeing, as someone who doesn’t identify with any of the political parties, is that you are being manipulated like a puppet.

To prove it, I’ll give you 7 signs that you’re being manipulated. Remember folks, politics is marketing. The sooner you figure this out, the better equipped you’ll be to disengage from this process and resist those who want to do our country harm. (Whatever that actually means…)

Sign №1: Your opinions align with others of your ideological alignment more often than not.

Sign №2: You react to headlines predictably.

Sign №3: You have the same “enemies” as your group.

Sign №4: In arguments, you resort to ad hominem attacks more frequently than you notice.

Sign №5: You feel wounded when a member of your group deviates in thought and respect the individual less as a result

Sign №6: You seek to silence dissenting speech and openly advocate for action (anywhere from shaming and assaults on Twitter to physical violence).

Sign №7: You share this post with friends of similar political ideology, perfectly sure that none of these apply to “your side”.

I don't know who this Lynn Swayze is, but here's Psychology TodayRecognize anything?

1.  Home Court Advantage  
    2.  Let You Speak First to Establish Your Baseline and Look for Weaknesses
    3.  Manipulation of Facts
    4.  Overwhelm You with Facts and Statistics
    5.  Overwhelm You with Procedures and Red Tape
    6.  Raising Their Voice and Displaying Negative Emotions
    7.  Negative Surprises
    8.  Giving You Little or No Time to Decide
    9.  Negative Humor Designed to Poke at Your Weaknesses and Disempower You
    10.  Consistently Judge and Criticize You to Make You Feel Inadequate
    11.  The Silent Treatment
    12.  Pretend Ignorance 
    13.  Guilt-Baiting 
    14.  Victimhood 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    What’s interesting is that often people who claim to not identify with being a liberal or conservative can be more rigid in their adherenceto being an ‘independent’ or whatever they self identify as. They can be as quick to judge, reject, and feel superior to both groups as anyone else. 
    The red pill guys are woman hating white supremacists
  • No.
    Move along.
    edited April 2018
    Are you part of the "incel revolution"?

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
    PJ_Soul said:

Absolutely... and TBH, I feel a little irked about this. I mean, women have been regularly telling everyone about this for ever... nobody gave a shit until they realized famous people were doing it too.
    how do you take this tact here yet you find a .gif of a convicted rapist grabbing a woman on the street to be funny in another thread? not trying to be a dick just honestly curious.
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

how do you take this tact here yet you find a .gif of a convicted rapist grabbing a woman on the street to be funny in another thread? not trying to be a dick just honestly curious.
    I never saw a gif of a convicted rapist grabbing a woman. I saw a really hilarious gif of a wacky waving arm inflatable tube man with a cartoon face of Cosby photoshopped onto it collapsing on a woman. Very funny!! 
    (seriously man, your failure to grasp the difference here, or to separate the joke from the reality, makes me unable to even come close to knowing how to explain it to you so that you'll understand)
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I never saw a gif of a convicted rapist grabbing a woman. I saw a really hilarious gif of a wacky waving arm inflatable tube man with a cartoon face of Cosby photoshopped onto it collapsing on a woman. Very funny!! 
    (seriously man, your failure to grasp the difference here, or to separate the joke from the reality, makes me unable to even come close to knowing how to explain it to you so that you'll understand)
    unfortunately for at least 60 or so women (reportedly and probably many more) reality was not much separate from the joke.  that's why it's not funny to me.  obviously your sense of humor is different than mine.

edited April 2018
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

unfortunately for at least 60 or so women (reportedly and probably many more) reality was not much separate from the joke.  that's why it's not funny to me.  obviously your sense of humor is different than mine.

I'm pretty sure Bill Cosby drugging and raping them feels VERY separate from a gif actually. I know for a fact that I would feel very different about my own sexual assaults compared to a joke gif about them too.
    Anyway, I couldn't care less if you think it's funny or if you think I shouldn't.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    edited April 2018
    "incel revolution"?  Weird. 

Post edited by brianlux on

brianlux said:
    "incel revolution"?  Weird. 

Apparently this idiot in Toronto was trying to start the "incel rebellion" not "revolution". Whoops!!

Still beyond weird , sad, and desperate 
    Japanese man arrested after stabbing 10 people on a train because he became incensed when he saw women who "looked happy" and wanted to kill them. The article doesn't use the term incel but the guy seems to have some problems with misogyny at the least. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/knife-attacker-tokyo-commuter-train-wanted-kill-happy-women-nhk-2021-08-07/