Options

Song of the day(Aye Davanita & Immortality

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
The final two songs off of Vitalogy, not counting the weird tune to end it, enjoy and add your own thoughts to these long ago written posts.

Aye Davanita & Immortality

RrVwMirror
2/9/01 09:05 AM
SOTD: AYE DAVANITA & IMMORTALITY

El Conquistador
10/5/99 12:13 PM
2 songs of the day today!!!

I don't know about AYE DAVANITA, but IMMORTALITY is one of my favorites of all time, let me knwo what you think....we need to get some more energy behind this.....so speak your mindly freely!!!

AYE DAVANITA

Awooh...aye davanita...awooh...awooha... (4x)
Jahooh...jahooh... (Repeat)
Awooh...aye davanita...awooh...awooha... (4x)

IMMORTALITY

Vacate is the word...vengeance has no place so near to her
Cannot find the comfort in this world
Artificial tear...vessel stabbed...next up, volunteers
Vulnerable, wisdom can't adhere...

A truant finds home...and a wish to hold on...
But there's a trapdoor in the sun...immortality...

As privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show
Swept out through the cracks beneath the door
Holier than thou, how?
Surrendered...executed anyhow
Scrawl dissolved, cigar box on the floor...

A truant finds home...and a wish to hold on to...
But saw the trapdoor in the sun...

Immortality...
I cannot stop the thought...I'm running in the dark...
Coming up a which way sign...all good truants must decide...
Oh, stripped and sold, mom...auctioned forearm...
And whiskers in the sink...
Truants move on...cannot stay long
Some die just to live...
Ohh...

Ranee
10/5/99 2:59 PM
Re: 2 songs of the day today!!!

I always thought it was about Kurt Cobain with the reference to the cigar box.
Pretty sure it's about suicide though.

"Some die just to live"-ev (and one of my personal favorites)

FoXyMo
10/5/99 4:26 PM

Suicide, giving up hope.... the land of no return, theres nothing left to do but die, "vacate" the world of no comfort. You think youve found something to hold on to but its swept out from under your feet.... A truant finds a home... and a wish to hold on
but theres a trapdoor in the sun...... immortality

CandleOfThought
10/5/99 4:33 PM
Aye Davanita

It's a pity you decided to post both songs today... now I'm going to have to come up with something for Immortality, which deserves serious consideration...

Ãnyway, just to get over with Aye Davanita... I hate it. I hate this song. I only tolerate it because it's short. I don't see the point in it, maybe it's a private joke for PJ members or whatever, but it's silly, monotonous and stressing. If it was longer, I'd skip it, but as it is, I don't trouble myself.

Actually, as I come to think of it, I don't really dislike Vitalogy, now that we've taken the time to look at one song at a time. It's got some all-time greats (nothingman, Corduroy, Betterman and Immortality), some very good ones (Whipping, Tremor Christ) and most of the rest are at least OK. But those damned experiments just make me cringe; and with that I mean Aye Davanita and Stupid Mop, and, to a lesser degree, Bugs (which also "bugs" me a bit for sounding like STP). Oh, and I also don't like Not For You, but that's just because it sounds like Nirvana, and I positively hate Nirvana. And it's incredible the way these 2 or 3 songs actually tainted my feeling on the whole album. People would ask me what I felt about the latest PJ album and it would be *those* songs that would come to my mind and make me answer something like "It's weird... I think they freaked out... a pity, really"; and THEN I might remember the other ones and add "but it still has a few great songs".

So that's it. I'm glad I got it out of my system. Oh but wait - it's coming up on my stereo; where's the damn remote??!! Oh God, there it comes again... ;-)

Awooh...aye HATE davanita...awooh...YAAARGH...
GRRRR...GRRRR...
Awooh...aye HATE davanita...awooh...YAAARGH...

*** CandleOfThought ***
"Shower the people you love with love, show them the way that you feel"

bejesus
10/5/99 5:17 PM
Kurt and Immortality

Well, I know this song was completed before Kurt Cobain killed himself, but it's eerie how much it fits his life, at least to me. Almost every line seems to parallel Kurt's situation (a truant finds home, cigar box on the floor). My favorite line is "there's a trapdoor in the sun." I always relate this to Kurt because fame is supposedly this unbelievably great and shining thing (like the sun), but he found a way out (the trapdoor). Sort of like sometimes you need to make an escape from what seems to be the biggest, brightest most beautiful thing.

This song is the one I prefer on Vitalogy.

moyboy
10/5/99 5:37 PM
Re: Kurt and Immortality

whats the correlation between Kurt and a Cigar Box?

Bastet
10/5/99 5:48 PM
Vitalogy

I agree with you CandleofThought. This is my least favorite record because of those weird songs. But the other songs are wonderful. I read an interview with (I think) Stone where he said that they pretty much let Eddie take over on this record. And I think that's the problem with it. It just proves that the whole band participating is what makes an incredible record.

Having said that, Immortality is one of my favorites, especially live. If it was written before Kurt died, then Eddie must have added the "cigar box on the floor" line because that is so specific.

>^--^<

evenkat
10/5/99 5:51 PM
Re: Kurt and Immortality

One was found by him (rip) containing some drug paraphernalia.

"You know what it's like" EV

Sister Parish
10/5/99 6:17 PM

Well, I guess I am going to have to go against the grain here.

I don't care much for the other "experimentals" on this album (although I listen to "Bugs" once in awhile just for laughs), but I like "Aye Davinita." It gives me a good feeling. It's mellow yet cheerful at the same time. I remember a thread on the old board where people were trying to translate the title . . . can't recall what was decided upon, of course. But this is a pleasant little song.

I have to admit that I sometimes get sick of "Immortality." When I first heard it and didn't know all of the words, I thought it was about prisoners of war. I can see how people think it's about Kurt Cobain's suicide and the dark side of fame, though.

OpenBand4TheSun
10/5/99 6:42 PM
I agree about the 2 songs of the day... a pity!

I would rather just give my view of aye davanita and immortality while in two different trains of thought. So I shall...

First aye davanita... I think most of you know what it means to me. If not, there is a novel back on nothingman that I wrote. (skip to the bottom)

But as far as the accompanying music that goes with this mantra... it is beautiful, in a Pearl Jam kinda way... makes ME smile! I do agree with Candle, drag this out for 5 minutes and we'd all have a head-ache, but that is PJ too, they don't do that...

Well, as with all the songs... I love it!

I LOVE ANITA

RrVwMIRROR
10/5/99 7:13 PM
Re: Aye Davanita

First of all I would like to say that I love Immortality...especially live....and I agree with all the interps....
I only would rather think of this song as in reference to anyone who has struggled with fame....I really like Nirvana's music, but Kurt was not a favorite of mine....I respect his music, but had no respect for him........just my opinion, I hate to visualize this song being strictly about 'his' life....

Anyway....as far as Aye davanita goes....how could anyone HATE this song so strongly as Candle?....It is a pleasant little tune! I will always think of OpenBand4TheSun....how he "loves Anita"....it will always make me smile! :-)

I really feel bad that you don't like this ablum so much Candle....I just love it, and somehow wish I could explain to you what this album does for me....it is such a mood setting album....I love the different moods each song brings out, it is like after listening to the whole complete album....I feel like I have just experienced a ride on an emotional rollercoaster....and feel totally grounded when it is over.....I would love for you to experience this "ride" Candle...I have such a respect for your interps of PJ's music, I guess I feel disappointed that your heart is not there for this album!

I Let My Music Take Me Where My Heart Wants To Go
~Cat Stevens
I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    OpenBand4TheSun
    10/5/99 7:20 PM
    Well said!

RrVwMIRROR said a mouthful... I love this album, and I am glad to see I am not the only one who enjoys this rollercoaster we call Vitalogy!

Thanks sweetheart!

RrVwMIRROR
    10/5/99 7:28 PM
    Re: Well said!

Thanks Open...just so you know, your post beat mine up there ....I really do think of you now when I hear aye davanita....it is a sweet thought!...true love! <3 (that's supposed to be a heart!)

I Let My Music Take Me Where My Heart Wants To Go
    ~Cat Stevens

MFC
    10/5/99 7:29 PM
    Re: Aye Davanita

Aye Davanita *isnt it sopposed to be 'The Song WITHOUT words'* is a very cool lead into what has to be one of the most POWERFUL pearl jam songs ever written. i aways thought thats what aye davanita was.. an intro. i love it myself. it calms me down and its like.. got that cool earthy groove thing goin on and it FITS with whatever theme i think Vitalogy *my fav album* is about.

yall've pretty much said everyhting about immortality.. bt i dont think its about Curt... i think he said it wasnt at one point.. its just about life in general i guess..

'there's alot to be said for Nowhere.'

-robby

brokenarrow
    10/5/99 8:50 PM
    The warm sea air of Aye Davanita...

I like Aye Davanita....! It makes me think of the beach...just lazing back and relaxing. I feel a warm breeze, beautiful sea air....a BZ Pro Flyer right next to me waiting for some perfect stuff.....a beautiful glide, perhaps 50'.......standing up and feeling that ride was perfect.......DAMMIT....I need to live closer to the Ocean again..............
    AAAAooooooooa...Aye Davanita...aaaooooa...aaaooooa

brokenarrow>

Immortality....It speaks volumes for itself....It speaks volumes for me.....This song gives me a giant lump in my throat....I love it.....This album was a life saver for me when it was released.....well, maybe not bugs or stupid mop...but the rest of it.....
    ........aaaaooooooaaa..............>>>>>

hedonist
    10/5/99 9:01 PM
    Aye, immortality...

I was never too fond of Immortality until just recently...I find it haunting, and dark...though I'm not sure what it refers to, Sister Parish's thought about it having to do with prisoners of war makes sense...volunteers, vulnerable, wisdom can't adhere...as if in the madness of battle, these scared young boys fall to panic, their training forgotten...also the reference to the auctioned forearm reminded me of how prisoners' arms were branded during the Holocaust...but then phrases like whiskers in the sink confuse me...

And I love Aye Davanita! It's a funky little song, and Ed's voice grooves so well with the music...and like Rearviewmirror, ever since nothingman, I can't hear this song without thinking about you, Open! What a sweet homage to your love...no offense, but someone oughta shake that woman and show her what she's missing!!! You're one in a million!

OpenBand4TheSun
    10/5/99 9:48 PM
    Time for Immortality...

I don't have favorites, but if I did...

All's I know is that the band plays their heart out everytime this song comes up on their set list. I've got some excellent live versions... OUTSTANDING live versions!

As far as the fallen superstar idea, I totally agree! But... but I don't think we need to use the word superstar. Any name could replace it, not necessiarily "Kurt Cobain", even yours or mine. I take this song as a reminder of how lonely and dark this world can be. And with that knowledge, I do my best to bring light and comfort into it! (and the cigar box with paraphernalia in it... who don't have one?)

I love it! (goosebumps and tears)

If you don't have a live version... go get one!!!!!

Thank you all (too many names to mention, ya'll know who I'm talkin' to), for all of your great words of advice and encouragement! I will forever think of you when I play this incredible album! VITALOGY KICKS ASS!

1 song to go... and it's a doozy!

allareone
    10/5/99 11:59 PM

Immortality is an awesome song & some of the above interps. are legendary... the connection to Kurt is way spooky! Especially if it was recorded before his death, knowledge before circumstance...freaky connections! hmmm

Aye Davanita is a wonderful journey, I use to skip this (nowadays i never do) & a few others off vitalogy..just too weird man! It's a deep kinda' tribal groove and as Open said, it is like a mantra and I always think of Open on this song :) May your dreams come true Open :), Hedonist is right, you are one in a million...trillion...goodness man, maybe even a zillion :) Peace and love to ya!

The whole album of vitalogy is so different and unique, so many aspects of musical exploration with each song holding it's own, so many soundscapes mixed ...yes this is definately a rollercoaster album, like all of them..gets better with each listen.

Ahh the spanking fetish next? Stupid mop!

it's a kinda magic - Queen

JDE-PJ
    10/6/99 01:04 AM
    IMMORTALITY

WELL IF THERE IS ONE SONG LIVE WHERE THE BAND COMES TOGETHER AS ONE THIS IS IT, THE TWO SHOWS I WAS PRIVLEGED TO SEE LAST YEAR WERE MADE ALL THE GREATER BY THE COMBINATION OF THIS SONG'S SOFTNESS AND BRUTALITY AT THE SAME TIME AS EDDIE WAS SINGING THE WORDS AND THEN AS MIKE AND MATT TOOK OVER THE WHOLE BAND LOOKED LIKE A UNITED GROUP OF MEN DOING SOMETHING THAT THEY WERE TRULY HAPPY TO BE DOING TOGETHER OR AS ED SAYS IN BUGS AND THEN THEY BECAME ONE!

I know someday you will have a beautiful life

Jason

Lea
    10/6/99 02:25 AM
    Re: IMMORTALITY

I also happen to love Vitalogy. I think that if every album were to sound like the previous, I would lose my appreciation of the wonderful thing called pearl jam. The diversity and change makes it all that more interesting, yet with every new album there is still that familiarness of pearl jam that ties it all together. And makes for great continuation. Oops, I think I strayed away from the topic of song of the day...sorry. Aye Davanita sits well with me, it gives me that feeling of 'wind in my sails'. Kind of chant-like. Not to mention, Vitalogy is the only vinyl I have signed by Ed...

Peace & Love!!
    "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at stars." -Oscar Wilde

Jason
  • Options
    CandleOfThought
    10/6/99 10:58 AM
    Immortality

I love this song. No, love is not a strong enough word. I positively revere this song. I remember that when PJ came to Portugal, and after I had seen them perform the song the first day, I decide the second day to close my eyes and just let myself be lulled by the song... I felt something like the ebbing of the tide in the music, the rising of a swell, slow and majestic, in Vedder's voice, and then, when the band made silence and the whole crowd echoed "Immortality", it was like the beauty of the wave curling and the foam erupting on the lip. Only Oceans and Low Light can inspire such an inner peace in me, like my soul has been polished and made smooth, only with this song it comes with a feeling of pity for someone I can't identify, for something that I don't know...

It's not my habit to analyze a song word for word, but here I am going to do it in hope to gain clearer understanding as I write, since I have always enjoyed it without
    deciding on its meaning...

Vacate is the word... - empty life, nothingness
    vengeance has no place, so near to her - it is not done to hurt anyone, just to escape
    Cannot find the comfort in this world - no hope in this life, maybe in the next
    Artificial tear... - fake feelings are the norm in his world
    vessel stabbed...next up, volunteers - drugs are a quick fix, but you soon come back to reality
    Vulnerable, wisdom can't adhere... - can't be influenced by reasoning

A truant finds home... - coming to the end of the line
    and a wish to hold on... - conscience restrains you
    But there's a trapdoor in the sun... - but in a moment it is done
    immortality... - ironic, they make me supposedly immortal and it leads me to wish death

As privileged as a whore... - I'm a star, which means I have no life of my own
    victims in demand for public show - no personal life, all for the paparazzi
    Swept out through the cracks beneath the door - once they're done with you, they'll leave you to rot
    Holier than thou, how? - try to take a stand, to impose an attitude
    Surrendered...executed anyhow - it's debased and exploited anyway
    Scrawl dissolved, cigar box on the floor... - drugs again, what else for relief?

A truant finds home...
    and a wish to hold on to...
    But saw the trapdoor in the sun...
    Immortality...

I cannot stop the thought... - suicide is increasingly considered
    I'm running in the dark... - no hope anywhere, only dark despair
    Coming up a which way sign... - the choice is ahead
    all good truants must decide... - I will do it
    Oh, stripped and sold, mom... - now that I'm dead, they'll still exploit whatever I leave behind
    auctioned forearm... - will still squeeze every penny from my image and call it a tribute
    And whiskers in the sink... - anything will do
    Truants move on...cannot stay long - fame is ephemeral, they will soon move on to somebody else
    Some die just to live... - I need to die to give some sense to my life
    Ohh...

So it seems I agree with most of you... this is about being trapped by fame, unable to deal with it, and choosing death as a way to find peace... is it about Kurt himself? I don't care... it's still a moving chronicle of a downfall, maybe it is about Vedder himself imagining himself in different circumstances and considering suicide... so many of us do at one point or another... maybe he is visualizing what could have happened to him, and, coincidentally, it is what happened to Kurt...

I only know it is musical ecstasy, and I can hear it over and over and still be swept by it every time...

*** CandleOfThought ***
    "Shower the people you love with love, show them the way that you feel"

hedonist
    10/6/99 11:13 AM
    Candle, you lit the way...

...what an absolutely beautiful interpretation of this song...you made sense out of words I just didn't get...thank you!

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go....
    ~C.S.

hedonist
    2/9/01 12:16 PM
    Ahhhh, memories........

So many old friends on this thread...and such different times.......

We all walk the long road, eh RrVw? Thanks again :)

JNL
    2/9/01 6:08 PM
    Re: SOTD: AYE DAVANITA & IMMORTALITY

Even though I have been off and on here for a couple of years I just had to post and tell you thank you for mentioning Aye Davanita...it is one of my favorite songs and it is so catchy. You'll be humming it all day if you hear it first thing in the morning.

Thanks,
    Noah

ballsdeep
    2/9/01 6:10 PM

i always thought this was a true dtory about someone
    i dont know where this came from

i'll keep fighting jealousy, untill it's fuckin' gong

ballsdeep
    2/9/01 6:10 PM

i always thought this was a true story about someone
    i dont know where this came from

i'll keep fighting jealousy, untill it's fuckin' gong

curlysuefern1973
    2/9/01 6:20 PM

i love you for this post
    a brother can only offer so many words

music means so much to our being
    it is a gift from heaven above

my heart is with you,and you, and you, and you

lil tttimmy is a signature

Jason
  • Options
    JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    My 2 cents

Vitology remains my favorite album. Friends and husband expect me to change my mind one of these days but it will always remain my favorite because at the time it came out, I was fighting for my life. I'm an old jammer and I've been there since the beginning, but Vitology with all it's loudness, all it's weirdness, all it's beauty and eloquence remains my favorite.

That said, Immortality is one of the greatest songs. I think it sounds like a blues/jazz song myself and hearing it live first at the Crocodile, has moved me beyond words. It's just one of those intangible moments that art takes over and speaks for itself.

Aye...is a non issue.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • Options
    Aye Davanita is a beautiful song, piece whatever you want to call it. So is Immortality , very powerful.