Song of the day(Sometimes)

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
Time for the beginning of the fourth album to be displayed on this here new board. The first song off of this record titled No Code is a slower tune than the first three first songs of albums, but certainly no less impressive of a start. I hope some of you newer board people, will check these posts out, both this new album worth of memories from the old old board, and the three previous albums I have posted on here.

Here we go

Sometimes

JDE-PJ
4/19/01 12:20 PM
Song of the day(Sometimes)

Okay, I am starting this now, anyone wants to write go ahead if you dont want too, skip this post, or just read hopefully the nice respnses we get on it.

Beginning where RrVw left off the end of Vitology, so that takes us to the first song off of No Code!

SOMETIMES

large fingers pushing paint
you're god and you've got big hands
the colors blend... the challenges you give man
seek my part... devote myself
my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
sometimes i know, sometimes i rise
sometimes i fall, sometimes i don't
sometimes i cringe, sometimes i live
sometimes i walk, sometimes i kneel
sometimes i speak of nothing at all
sometimes i reach to myself, dear god

I know someday you will have a beautiful life

Jason

Nico Blue
4/19/01 12:25 PM
Re: Song of the day(Sometimes)

very true...

All over a bowl of bitter beans-SH

Ger
4/19/01 12:45 PM
Mr. dork

hmm.....no code today -- good plan
good morning, darling...........more coffee?

Love,
yer dorkette

"i refer to those in love...."

4/19/01 12:49 PM

hey jason! - great way to look at a beautiful sunny day

i love this song

what does it mean to me?? - sometimes i try to figure out
who,what,where,why - sometimes i'm not sure who i'm supposed to be -
sometimes i just take a breath and go
with the flow

but only sometimes!! (hehe)

"you are the sun, i am the moon, you are the words, i am the tune - play me"

brokenarrow
4/19/01 12:55 PM

mmmmmmm......nice idea jde-pj....

I'm trying to recall what I originally wrote about this one on the old posts, I know some of what I say here will be a repeat for you older posters', so bear with me. These are new and fresh....I hope people will contribute. There are so many new folks here now, it'll be great to read everyone's words.

This song has always been very special to me. It's very theraputic when I'm in a certain mood. If things are just getting to tough to deal with, I'll put this on and give it a few listens in a row. It's almost like a prayer, quiet reflection......

I love the Rolling Thunder in the middle of the music...it just comes ebbing in gently, taking me to the next level of thought.

JDE-PJ
4/19/01 1:00 PM

Hi Share, not a bad way to look at real estate either!!!hehe

Sometimes, or shall I say most times I fall, and I pick myself and dont start again, opps I think your supposed to start again, will have to work on that one.

A perfect song to start this album nice and mellow going into some rocking tunes!

Also a very good beginning to a show as I witnessed first hand!

Jason

Bird Man
4/19/01 1:25 PM

I really love this song....It speaks to me....this is what is says to me

Life....boiled down....stripped....seems simple.....like a finger painting....a child creation....

When you step back.....thats all you see...a swirling vision of colour...mixed...one....

But the closer you get the more you see.....and if you get so close.....so close that your looking for yourself....thing become a blur...complicated....

I'm a young guy...20...and I'm trying to figure out myself....where I fit in the painting....but the more I think about it....the more I worry.....the more I search...the more I get lost.....I'm beginning to realise that I may never figure it out....humans are so complicated....I'm beginning to just live.....I don't have to be one thing....sometimes I should just be the painting....

"Sorry is the fool who trades his soul for a corvette"

JDE-PJ
4/19/01 4:34 PM

Not to many many old posters Broken, that is the idea here, any of your comments are not old, since most of the people here have never seen them, so I hope people will do what you say and contribute!

Bump this to the top for anyone interested.

3 down 13 to go!

Jason

Plaidsurfshorts
4/19/01 4:57 PM

I don't know if I have ever done one of these before... Do we just write personal interpretations or how is this done? Sorry, newbie to the SOTD threads...

Until I saw PJ open with it at my first show in Toronto this past October, I was never heavily into "Sometimes". I definitely loved what it was about lyrically and identified with it, but in my mind, it always lacked something musically. In a way, it seemed a bit too "formless", and I just found I never really gravitated towards it. However, I remember listening to it on a two-hour bus trip up to my friend's dorm in late September, and as I traveled alone in the dark, I found the song rather appropriate, and I guess just hearing it through headphones in that state of mind brought more out of it than I had originally been picking up on. Now, whenever I hear it, I associate it with the band stepping onto the stage in Toronto, and how right then, it really struck me and my love of the song and the events in my life all really came together.

Was that okay?

"I was alone and far away / When I heard the band start playin'..."

wicca
4/19/01 9:45 PM

It would be nice to see these threads become popular again. Especially with so many newer people here now.

I can't listen to this one without it's companion song (my all-time favorite) Hail Hail. Those two are forever linked in my mind. I love the contrast between the softness of Sometimes and the full-on rocking out of Hail Hail. I keep hoping that someday they may actually play the two of them together.

dawnie

JDE-PJ
4/19/01 10:24 PM

Yes Plaid, that was more than okay, please you and anyone else, just write what you feel, you dont have to describe each and every lyric, what you wrote was perfect for you, and that is what it is all about for anyone.

If someone wants to get into the words, go right ahead, but it does not make it anybetter then just writing what the song means to you.

Jason

AustralianSmile
4/19/01 10:45 PM

A beautiful song, taken to another level for me when i heard it live opening the Jones Beach III show for the first time last night. The opening chords are a gentle and subtle start - combining with that first line 'large fingers pushing paint' to push open the curtain if you like - to a song of understated beauty. Calm, rythmic, yet somehow deeper - trading rawness for an intensity that derives from a different place to most PJ songs. It's sitting on a rocking chair in a room cloaked in the shadows of a setting sun. It's sitting at the top of a large hill, flushed cheeks from the exertion of the walk. It's quietly waking the morning after a tumultuous day. I love it.

hedonist
4/19/01 11:07 PM
wicca

I'm the same way with this song...feel it's sort of a prelude to Hail Hail...the distinction between the two songs, to my ears, is similar to that of Lukin/Present Tense...except reversed....

In a nutshell, I see this as a reflective, soulsearching piece..."seek my part"...recognizing the (perceived) insignificance of himself...his strengths, his faults...maybe that's why so many of us relate to this song.......

Jason, I'm so glad you started this up again...though I'm hard-pressed to repeat my interps of the past, I'll contribute when I can...and as always, I love reading (and learning from) the different perspectives and experiences of everyone else.......

*my small self*
4/19/01 11:34 PM

check out my username :)

Makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    pj2010
    4/19/01 11:47 PM

for me it will ever be embedded in my mind as the opener in salzburg, austria. . .
    21 years old, backpacking across europe and basically enjoying life to the fullest extent that i ever have. . .
    open-air concert in the city square, a huge historic gothic cathedral on one side, a beautiful statue w/ fountain lit up in blue right in the middle of the crowd next to the sound booth. summer night, about 70 degrees, the full moon just starting to show behind the stage. . .
    it was my first pj show in over seven years, and only my second ever. i was on the second row. . .
    ed had already performed "throw your arms around me" alone, and had remarked while staring into the clear summer sky "this is going to be a good night. . ."
    after the set by the dismemberment plan, the band took the stage. . .
    those first simple notes rang off of ed's telecaster and to say my body shot up with goosebumps is an understatement. i will always remember this night, i could truly gush on about the show forever. . . it was the closest thing to perfect that i have ever experienced. . .

JDE-PJ
    4/20/01 2:00 PM
    no problem, bump up to the top

Hi Hedonist just post what you want, I am sure for alot of people different songs change to them as they grow as people, so even if you have posted something in the past, your intrepertation may be totally different today.

Again everyone just post what you want, especially the newer people here, chime in would like to continue this, but only if it gets everyone thoughts of music flowing.

Have a good day everyone!

3 down 13 to go

Jason

waves goodbye...
    4/20/01 2:48 PM

A painting in progress. The colors blend with a stroke of the brush. Overcome to live. Many small selves rising and falling like a boat in rough water. It's awash in the mélange of covetous and love. The thunder whispers from high above… Soon the eclectic mix of color's will become one. Devote yourself to the will of the artist and rise with the sun.

pearlygirl
    4/20/01 3:08 PM

This was the show opener in LA of last year, my first ever PJ show. Couldn't have been a more perfect choice for me. I was a little overwhelmed at the time, but now when I go back and listen to the boot, it just blows me away. Ed was so sick that day (he says during the show that he woke up "sick as a dog") so you know it was harder than usual for him to get up there and sing. And the first few lines... he whispers them... and it's perfect. The fact that he wasn't up to his usual self just adds to the frailty of the song...

Such a simple song, and yet it says so much.

seek my part... devote myself
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf

I love that line.

Mod x 2
    4/20/01 4:53 PM

ballsdeep
    4/20/01 4:56 PM

this song means a lot to me!
    it was the FIRST pearl jam song i ever seen them play live! toronto 2000! what a great moment

it's all been said, been said and done
    i'll never suck, satan's dick

JDE-PJ
    4/21/01 03:54 AM

Sometimes I sleep sometime I dont
    Sometimes I stay up all night long,
    on this stupid machine when I am already working on 3 hours of sleep
    dear g-d!!!

this song is in my head at almost 4 in the f-ing morning, so I know it is a good one!!!!!!!!

Jason

Beta
    4/23/01 12:37 PM

Well, when I think of this song, I usually see it divided in two parts. The beginning of the song gives me a feeling that we are so small compared to the world, universe or whatever. As if we have no control over ourselves. God does (‘big hands’). He created us as an artist creates his painting. We are the paint, he pushes us. He puts us together to form his ‘painting.’
    ‘colors blend’ might be a metaphor for human interactions, but god is the one who does it, so he kinda has the power over us (that is not necessarily my religion view, but that’s what *I* get from reading this part.)

So when he says, ‘seek my part, devote myself,’ it looks like the song switches, and instead of focusing on god, he focuses on human beings, especially himself. He tunes in. But then again, he’s conscious he’s not the center of the universe, ‘cause he compares himself to a book amongst many. And that’s such a great analogy, ‘cause books have a story (as we do) and books are supposed to pass on knowledge of some kind (as we all do). Books are remembered, they influence other books… well, we can find many connections between a book and a person. What also makes it a great analogy is that he says, ‘amongst the many on the shelf.’ There are so many books, but each one of them is special and meaningful. It again gives us a feeling of how small, but also how important we all are.

Then there’s the repetition of ‘sometimes’ till the end of the song and I think that it also deals with god. Like it refutes the first part of the song. How? Well, the first part says that god (large fingers) pushes (has control over) paint (us). So if it’s true, then we would have no free will and do nothing but what He wishes… like, we would have no options, or choices… Everything would be predestined by him… like fate. Now if you put a whole bunch of sometimes in the middle of it, it gives you the feeling that we are able to deliberate and make or own choices, that we have free will, and no one ‘pushes’ us. *We* have control over ourselves, we make our own decisions… Sometimes I fall, sometimes I don’t. simple. *I* have this power.

And that’s pretty different from the first part. We live our own lives; we make our own path, unlike what it had said earlier, that we follow a path that is already there for us (fate).

Don’t know if it’s just me, but I like to sing and think of the last 2 words as being ‘Hear God’ and that way, it kinda relates to what I think of the song. That god is nowhere else but within ourselves. Anyway, when it comes to god, it’s pretty hard to discuss or analyze it, ‘cause every one has a different view. But to me, the song kinda evolves -- first the guy thinks that god is all-powerful, then he questions it. Not really questions, but thinks about the way he lives and how he’s the one who decides what to do with himself instead of having a fate… so in the end, he finds god ('seek my part' --> 'hear god') within himself.

And the water running sounds (that’s what it sounds like) at the end of the song are cool, ‘cause it connects the song to nature. Like what really matters is the natural and not the supernatural world.

Beta ;-)

vitolochica
    4/23/01 12:40 PM

sometimes I'm human....that's what this song says to me...sometimes I'm human and believe it or not, I do all these things that you do....I'm no better, I'm no different....I'm Eddie Vedder, I'm a human being....and this is what humans do, and this is what *I* do....

te amo como se aman ciertas cosas oscuras, secretamente, entre la sombra y el alma...

hedonist
    4/23/01 12:44 PM
    whoa, Beta.......

Kickass interp!

vitolochica
    4/23/01 12:51 PM

just gorgeous....don't it make you (me) smile... :)

te amo como se aman ciertas cosas oscuras, secretamente, entre la sombra y el alma...

Jason
  • JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    Beta
    4/23/01 1:13 PM

thank you girls :)

Beta ;-)

ofthegirl49
    4/23/01 1:17 PM

Lucky me and Plaidsurfshorts--to be at Toronto (by the way my pic of the best) and have PJ open with Sometimes.

One of those songs that you have to listen to more than once, for it to just just smack you in the face. Almost a bland song--but the lyrics are all incompassing about life. First heard this when I was at a point in my life when I was questioning everything I did, said, didn't get to do and still want to do. Just seems to sum up that you fall, pck your self up and move on or you can stay on the floor and spend the rest of your life cringing in fear of everything.

Sometimes I cringe--sometiime I live use to be my sig line, but I changed it for a new friend.

Ranks up there as one of my fav's.

"Os amigos novas sao como uma viagem"

EdHead99
    4/23/01 1:50 PM
    ditto hedo:)

Wowza, Beta...you made me examine the song in a whole new way. Thanks for your insightful viewpoint, girlie:)

This song contains one of my many fave PJ lines:

"my small self...like a book amongst the many on a shelf"

A reminder that we're all Insignificant...and human....looking for our spot on the bookshelf, where we won't be judged by cover or content.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    and so it goes...

JDE-PJ
    4/23/01 3:21 PM

Hum are you and Candleofthought related Beta? I swear Guga, that is one hell of a post you just did!

Jason

Jason
  • {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    great song... :D
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • took me a while to warm up to No Code, but now i truly love the album! 'sometimes' is a great opener, short & sweet, full of emotion.
    i'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • SoLATisASoLATisA Posts: 215
    for such a mellow song, it sure does get intense

i've always wanted to make a video for this songs....

i picture the band playing outside, with an overcast sky

at seek my part thunder cracks, lightning strikes, and the skys pour,,,

during the sometimes i.... part the clouds give way, and when the words are done it gets sunny and birds come out.....

and no, i haven't done acid in a long time
  • {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    best opener ever!!
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • Was the opener at the only PJ concert I had the chance to see, so it most definitely is the best f'n opner ever!:D
    Drunken Butterfly