Options

Song of the day (Animal)

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
The second song off of VS, and if you think Go is a great song to hear live, you ain't heard nothing yet, when it comes to this tune.

Animal

RrVwMirror
1/12/01 8:19 PM
SOTD: .....ANIMAL

El Conquistador
8/31/99 09:35 AM
I'd rather be with an ANIMAL

animal

One, two, three, four, five against one
Five, five, against one
Said one, two, three, four, five against one
Five, five...five, five...five against one

Torture from you to me
Abducted from the street

I'd rather be...
I'd rather be with...
I'd rather be with an animal

Why would you wanna hurt me, oh
Oh, so frightened of your pain...yeah...ooh...

I'd rather be...
I'd rather be with...
I'd rather be... (2x)

I'd rather be...
I'd rather be with...
I'd rather be...
I'd rather be with...

Said one, two, three, four, five against one
One, two, three, four, five against one

RrVwMirror
8/31/99 10:04 AM
Re: I'd rather be with an ANIMAL

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!....it totally rocks!!!

This song takes me right back to my first and unfortuantely only Pearl Jam concert...it was a beautiful night outside, and the crowd around me was just going crazy when this song came on....everyone was dancing...I remember one guy in particular...his face is forever etched in my memory....he was a biker type of guy, with long hair, and he had the BIGGEST SMILE I ever saw in my life as he danced and played air guitar...I thought that was so cool...I remember thinking how incredible it is that Pearl jam's music can bring so many different people together, all standing side by side...dancing together....smiling....I guess I just needed to post this, I smile and turn up this song every time I hear it!...

It's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind...

believeyoume
8/31/99 10:10 AM

i'd say this has to do with the whole ticketbastard thing, the first line of the song 5 against one which also goes along with the picture behind the cd case the hand with a one in the middle,

pearlgirl
8/31/99 10:21 AM

i love this song! it is just so, hard and it just rocks. but anyways, i've always seen this as a person's battle against the rest of the world. i mean, you could take it as pj's battle (five) against tm or the world or whatever (one), but i always take it to a more personal level. as for the animal...i always think about that line when i'm dealing with some kind of asshole in my life. it's like, people can be so horrible and can cause so much pain and harm...so i always think "i'd rather be with an animal..." as though they wouldn't do nearly as much harm as a person would.

-jen

"knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens"
-jimi hendrix

RrVwMirror
8/31/99 3:12 PM

Just thought I'd bring this back up to the top since yesterday's song got buried twice...

It's funny when things change so much, it's all state of mind...

JDE-PJ
8/31/99 3:38 PM
so frightened of your pain...

love that line and the whole song just like with Go this really put vs into perspective and said get out of my fucking way we are going to rock here, one of my friends favorite songs and this was certainly a highlight at the two MSG'S shows especially the way the crowd was screaming along as Eddie said 12345 against one !

I know someday you will have a beautiful life

Jason

Bastet
8/31/99 3:43 PM

I didn't like this song much until I saw them do it on the MTV awards. (Isn't it funny how sometimes it takes a live version to really grab you?) Anyway, then I couldn't stop listening to it. And then when the words hit me - why do you want to hurt me, so frightened of your pain - I would picture a little puppy and just start crying. I think this is about people and *animals* who are tortured by assholes and the writer knows that most animals are more *human* than these assholes ever could be. And frankly I would rather be with an animal than some of the people I come in contact with.

>^--^<

Sister Parish
8/31/99 3:50 PM

My interpretation of this song was always a lot like what pearlgirl said - about dealing with assholes and how animals are often less dangerous than people. Then, a little while ago, someone suggested (or maybe I read) that this song is about a gang rape situation, which also fits. I wouldn't go so far as to say that that "ruined" this song for me, but I certainly have never been able to listen to it the same way since.

JamFan
8/31/99 4:47 PM

I remember this one from the MTV awards and just wished that it was longer, a good song to dance to. Love doing the 12345 against 1 just like Eddie.

I don't want to take what you can give. I would rather starve that eat your bread.-EV

evenkat
8/31/99 5:07 PM

I don't think this song needs an interpretation. But this is the song that put me over the edge with Pearl Jam. This song floored me when I first heard it. The lyrics from Pearl Jam songs, there is nothing like them, they go places never gone before, and make you think that they got inside your head and read your thoughts, all to this incredible music.

"You know what it's like" EV

brokenarrow
8/31/99 10:30 PM
Whoa...

...I'd never heard that Sister, the gang rape thing. It would make sense, but whoa.....that gave me icky chills....so sad.....

I've always pictured the Media as the badguy in this song....the five of them against the Media Frenzy that happened during the Ten days...
I'm SURE I'm way off track, but that has always been the image that my mind saw.
I don't know why really, but when they performed this on MTV, Eddie looked so frazzled, he was exhausted mentally and you could see it.
....My husband and I watched and quite frankly we both got a little nervous watching him...I thought, Oh my God.....He's wiped out, I hope they stick around 'cause their so friggen good....I was upset after seeing that performance, and upset seeing him accept the award and the interview afterwards, he deffinately seemed like he had been drinking too much.
His face was even swollen....I didn't know if they would make it through all of the HYPE surrounding the whole Seattle thing....One band didn't...RIP Kurt.
........brokenarrow>

wicca
8/31/99 11:40 PM
Re: animals

I think it is supposed to work on both levels - the 5 of them against the 1 abusive media and the 5 abusers against the 1 innocent.

redmosquito
9/1/99 01:51 AM
Confused!

OK, I have to first say that this song TOTALLY ROCKS!!!!!

It's one of my favorites

OK, all this time I have thought that animal and five against one referred to the whole anti-establishment idea of five individuals in the band confronting the media, and everything that represented "us vs. them" when they made the album.

BUT, then I read the Kim Neely book, and it said something about Eddie using that phrase to mean the conflict he felt at the time, and how cornered he felt by everyone, including his band members, Kim Neely said that it's supposed to mean the four other band members with Kelly Curtis against Eddie!????????????

Can someone please shed some light on this? Am I interpreting the book wrong or what is going on? I'm totally confused, maybe because I can never ever imagine eddie feeling such animosity with Stone, Jeff, Mike, Dave, and Kelly Curtis. I use to agree with everyone with the idea that it's the five of the band members against the media or ticketmaster or just "them". But now I am totally confused!!!!!!!!! I know it's impossible but I wish I knew what Eddie really meant by this song!

-redmosquito

"I wonder about his insides, it's like his thoughts are too big for his size"

evenkat
9/1/99 07:49 AM
Re: Confused!

Not, that I know more than the next guy. But Kim Neely put her own interpretations into things in the book and disguised them as facts.

I believe the most widely reported meaning of the lyrics is the band against the world. And I think Stone said something to that effect in an interview once. He said they felt like everyone was against them.

"You know what it's like" EV
I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ANIMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    We could dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
    Dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I just made a playlist with every version of Animal that I have. This is YOUR day Animal. :D

THOSE DRUMS?!?!

:o:D

You know this is one of the PJ songs I have heard sooooo many times (and one of the few that actually gets airplay) and I still have yet to tire of it. It will always be one of my classic favs. I looove Ed's voice and all the agression he adds to this song. It really is just SOOO hard and gets any crowd pumped up!!! That solo too?!?! :eek: Loove it.

I also love the PJ songs that come in hard and come in ROCKIN with no fuckin delay. Animal knows much about this.

Good call...ANIMAL rocks! :D

(I loove Ed's little "grrr"'s too. hehe.)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    SAN DIEGO version rocks extra hard!

(just had to make this known to those who don't know;))

Ed adds a weird little "oh we oh we oh...." at the end. haha. It's awesome! :D

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    I'd rather be with an ANIMAL
    "I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks."