Options

Sonic Reducer/guitar drops out?

thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQUKpa9DwCU
This is one of my favorite covers, but I've always been curious that at :13-:15 seconds the guitars seems to "glitch out" or the sound drops out entirely. I can't tell if it's Mike's guitar or Stone?

Maybe this was intentional or an equipment malfunction that was left in to make the recording sound more raw? To me it always seemed maybe like a mastering error, which probably could have been fixed. I have never heard a recording of this song that doesn't seem to "skip" at this point. Any insight?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Nick NamenoneNick Namenone Posts: 67
    edited December 2017
    what is the source for this?  Is it an official release or a bootleg?  It sounds to me like someone is panning the chugging guitar left and right and the source cuts out.  You can still one guitar feeding back and you can hear the guitar that cuts out in the room ambience.  That makes me think the channel on the mixer stopped working briefly or the mixer may have accidentally muted the guitar while doing the panning.  Not a mastering error.  Mastering only works with the left and right mix.  They can't mute individual instruments.  If it was a mastering error either the left or right would go away or the both would.  That is either a mixing error or a technical glitch in the mix/recording.  (edited to add)  Since you the guitar in the room it could have been anything from the mic on stage to the fader/pan/mute switch on the console.  The guitar is playing but the what it was getting to the mix failed briefly.
    Post edited by Nick Namenone on
  • Options
    what is the source for this?  Is it an official release or a bootleg?  It sounds to me like someone is panning the chugging guitar left and right and the source cuts out.  You can still one guitar feeding back and you can hear the guitar that cuts out in the room ambience.  That makes me think the channel on the mixer stopped working briefly or the mixer may have accidentally muted the guitar while doing the panning.  Not a mastering error.  Mastering only works with the left and right mix.  They can't mute individual instruments.  If it was a mastering error either the left or right would go away or the both would.  That is either a mixing error or a technical glitch in the mix/recording.  (edited to add)  Since you the guitar in the room it could have been anything from the mic on stage to the fader/pan/mute switch on the console.  The guitar is playing but the what it was getting to the mix failed briefly.
    Thanks Nick. I believe this is an official PJ release, that's why I was always surprise by the guitars dropping out.
  • Options
    yeah.  weird.  maybe from a FOH tape  
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited December 2017
    Sounds like the guitar starts to feedback, then gets muted real quick, then it swells into feedback again. Doesn’t sound like any mixing mistake or production flub imo.

EDIT: realized I was talking a different part...I’ve got it now and it still doesn’t sound like a production error. I think it’s something before the sound board...something in the guitar chain or maybe a mic cable.
    Post edited by DewieCox on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    good pick up op! no pun intended.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    Sounds like the guitar starts to feedback, then gets muted real quick, then it swells into feedback again. Doesn’t sound like any mixing mistake or production flub imo.

EDIT: realized I was talking a different part...I’ve got it now and it still doesn’t sound like a production error. I think it’s something before the sound board...something in the guitar chain or maybe a mic cable.
    Also, I can't tell if this recording is live in studio or live in concert (minus crowd noise). It sounds like it could be recorded at sound check or soundboard mix with crowd noise taken out. If it was live in studio, I'm guessing they would've noticed the guitar glitch and tried to fix it or done another take of the song.
  • Options
    live recording in a room.  maybe no audience mics maybe a sound check.  Guitar is still working because you can hear it in the room.  The crazy panning makes me think it was mixed later but they couldn't or didn't repair the guitar that drops out.