Options

Song of the day (Blood)

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
The seventh song off of VS, this tune is as hard as this band gets, and just like with some other songs from this album, it came back to their live show this year.

Blood

RrVwMirror
1/15/01 10:20 AM
SOTD: ....BLOOD

El Conquistador
9/8/99 10:16 AM
it's my BLOOD

for anyone who doesn't know, this is the sonG of the day. Please post about the meaninG/interpretation of this sonG.

BLOOD

Spin me round, roll me over, fuckin' circus
Stab it down, one way needle, pulled so slowly
Drains and spills, soaks the paGes, fills their sponGes
It's my blood (2x)

Paint Ed biG...Turn Ed into...One of his enemies...
It's my blood (3x)

Stab it down, fill the paGes, suck my life out
Maker of my enemies...
Take...my...
Fuck...fuck...fuck...fuck...fuck...fuck...

dan_alive
9/8/99 10:32 AM
Re: it's my BLOOD

ed and media... pearl jam and media... ed and PJ pissed off at media..
paint ed biG≫ rock star! turn him into a tarGet... their blood fills the sponGes of the crazed press... or somethinG like that

dan.

"Escape is never the safest path"

evenkat
9/8/99 10:45 AM

I love the intense emotional strenGth of Blood. I think Matt Cameron said it best when he said somethinG like Ed's Vocals are like an instrument. To me unlike a Great lead Guitarist, who makes sounds that send you thouGht waves of emotions.

"You know what it's like" EV

moyboy
9/8/99 12:38 PM

Exactly. This sonG is about Ed and PJ's feelinGs towards the media and how it portrays, uses, and bleeds them. The media is out for blood to fill their "paGes".
Also, the line, "Spin me round, roll me over, fuckin' circus" refers to the maGazines SPIN, ROLLinG Stone, and CIRCUS.....

Lea
9/8/99 12:43 PM

In my opinion..I've always thouGht it was about Ed and the whole music industry, media, and all the bullshit that Goes alonG with beinG a 'rock star'.
BeinG told what to do and how...in the beGinninG of course.

Be careful what you wish for. But some are just destined for Greatness!

Peace & Love!!

CandleOfThought
9/8/99 3:45 PM

This one is very simple. Pearl Jam and the media. The media circus, destroyinG privacy, destroyinG lives, spreadinG rumor and diffamation, anythinG that will make their edition outsell their competitors and raise the advertisinG rates. They're not even vampires, more like leaches or mosquitos, cominG in swarms, all tryinG to Get that "inside stuff", even if they have to forGe it.

So it's also basic. But unlike "Glorified G", it's not an easy sonG. It's hard, probably the hardest PJ sonG, so *raw*, un-commercial. It's pure numb raGe, like a huGe "Get off me" scream. I'm not a rock star, I can't relate too much with all their problems with fame, so it's not one of those "personal" sonGs, one of those that you feel were written expressly for you ;). But it's still very intense, and I can appreciate it.

To me, however, the main interest of this sonG is to relate it with the scribblinGs in the liner notes (the ones around the Gun drawinG). Lines like "I will never trust anyone aGain" or "You want a chunk of the biG bands..." (or somethinG like that, I don't have it here) are very interestinG to analyze in conjunction with this.

Another thinG: notice the similarities between this sonG and "Bullet With Butterfly WinGs" from the SmashinG Pumpkins (another of my favorite bands). Similar in all, even to the blood theme: "the world is a vampire, sent to drain, secret destroyers hold you up the flames, and what do you Get for your pain? Betrayed desires and a piece of the Game" and so on... makes you wonder, another brilliant sonGwriter expressinG the same anGuish...

*** CandleOfThouGht ***
"Shower the people you love with love, show them the way you feel"

Elegant-Waste
9/8/99 3:59 PM

This sonG is about Pearl Jam and the media, but I have a different take on the blood thinG. That whole thinG about Eddie sayinG his Grandfather was a native indian and i think it was RollinG Stone MaGazine who wanted to find out if it's true. So some of Eddie's nearest relatives took blood test for the maGazine. That really ticked Eddie. He never took any of these tests. Anyways, the tests showed no native indian blood in the family. The whole thinG can be linked toGether because Ed is such a celebrity now - these maGazines will track down his family and try make them take these senseless tests to find out where Ed's family comes from. Look at the liner notes on the 'blood' paGe. You have an arm with a sleeve rolled up ready to Give blood and on top of the paGe is needle. Also, thinkinG about it now: The picture on the paGe, the blood mixinG with the ink could mean how his blood is beinG spilled into these maGazines.

-My My Hey Hey Pearl Jam Is Here To Stay-

evenkat
9/8/99 4:14 PM
Re: I don't believe it...EW

Hi, EleGant-Waste. Do you really believe that story. I never heard such a thinG, except from you before on this board, I believe. And the reason, I don't believe it, is because I don't think Mr. Vedder's family have been cooperative with the media, maybe most recently his step-father has, but he wouldn't have his same blood. Where did you ever hear this story. And more importantly why do you believe it?
'

Elegant-Waste
9/8/99 6:56 PM
Re: I don't believe it...EW

I heard this thinG about a year aGo on this radio show that talked about all these myths, rumours, not known facts about the band. I don't know where they Got this, but that's what I heard. You don't have to believe it, but to it kinda does link with this sonG. But doesn't Ed have two bioloGical brothers? Or it may have been step-brothers - I'm not sure. If they are 1/2 brothers, it would be different blood. Fine, I won't mention this entire thinG aGain if OWN intrepretations lead to this...

-My My Hey Hey Pearl Jam Is Here To Stay-

brokenarrow
9/9/99 09:41 AM
Blood....

...This sonG rips my heart out....That simple.
When it came out, it was so apparent that the band and Ed were havinG such a friGGen hard time with the media blitz.
When I heard this sonG on the Atlanta tape...'94 I believe(probably wronG on the date)...it was the radio GiG they did, They kicked into Blood, and he is in so much pain sinGinG it, I Got chills up my arms, my hair stood on end, and I Got this stranGe emotional tuG...I realized I had tears runninG down my face while I was listeninG......His screams, especially at the end, were like someone beinG tortured.
I was numb.
I had heard the tune a million times before that on the CD, but that just made me so sad.
brokenarrow≫

Bastet
9/9/99 11:54 AM
Re: Blood....

I don't even hear the words. This one has a personal connection for me and it's all about a feelinG. Several years aGo I worked for a man who hated women and treated them like shit. I wouldn't put up with it and every day it was a battle of the wills between us. The last few months I worked there I listened to this sonG every morninG on my way to work, usually screaminG riGht alonG. It Gave me just the edGe I needed to Get throuGh one more fuckinG day with that asshole. But I don't feel that anGer anymore when I hear it because I have my revenGe - I'm livinG well and happy and he is still a sad, miserable man. Anyway, I love this sonG.

&Gt;^--^<

evenkat
9/9/99 5:47 PM
Re: EW

It does make quite an interestinG story, thouGh. I did read in Mick Wall's half-ass book that someone did look into county or city hall records of births and marriaGes in Eddie's family tryinG to find some Indian relation. That's pretty pathetic, also.

I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    hedonist
    1/15/01 10:35 AM
    Re: SOTD: ....BLOOD

Great interps, all........

No matter how many times I hear Blood, the ferocity of this song always startles me...I can see the veins popping out in Ed's neck...practically hear his vocal cords straining and tearing...no wonder this didn't show up on this last tour......

Thinking out loud here, as this thought just occurred to me...how this theme was carried over into Not For You...Bugs...Pry, To...it's interesting to me how the anger of Vs. was coralled into a (somewhat) calmer rage in Vitalogy......

Gotta thank you again, RrVw, for preserving these old threads.......

RrVwMirror
    1/15/01 10:43 AM
    Mornin' hedonist.....

It is nice to see you here today....and I am glad you feel compelled to add to these posts....it really is all about the music.....

Have a good day my friend!

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go....
    ~C.S.

amok
    1/15/01 11:46 AM

the seems alive today..i dont know why this is the first real time after the "shit " well i hope we see more posts like this :)

heartoclay5a1
    2/27/01 3:09 PM

it's pressure from the media for the band to create art- pearl jam's music. it's just like "suck the fucking life out of me go ahead suck the blood from me that makes up my body, you'll end up taking my life with all of this pressure,"
    this all due to the wanting of money. money can destroy the greatest artists. along with this comes fear. pearl jam is not afraid, they are stronger then the media.
    i think that every artist may go through this. this feeling of being eaten up, or the blood being sucked out of you do to others wanting you to make money.
    i sometimes do this to myself.
    It sucks!!

"just because no one understands you doesn't mean your an artist"

loyalest Pear Jam fan,
    heartoclay5a1.
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • Options
    i heard this song today on Vs :D

i went nuts... almost jumping like i was at a show... screaming ...

great song :D
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    We could dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
    Dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Ooooh YEAH! Such a brutal ass beating. I love everything about it though. Ed at one of his most intense moments. The song is just relentless. Pumps me the fuck up!!! And first thing in the morning?! Wow!

BLOOD KICK ASS!!!
    (literally)

Can this be the SOTD more often??:D

Loooove it.

\m/
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    i love the live version from State College. So much energy and it's always freakin' heavy!

FUCKIN' CIRCUS
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV