Options

Song of the day(Pry To)

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
The seventh song off of this album, this is one of the bands weird little songs, enjoy it.

Pry To

RrVwMirror
1/31/01 09:36 AM
SOTD: ....PRY TO

Bastet
9/28/99 1:43 PM
PRY, TO

Ok, this is a tough one.

PRY, TO

P-r-i-v-a-c-y is priceless to me (4X)
P-r-i-v-a-c-y (4X)

(Are we really sure that's what he's saying - hehe)

>^--^<

RrVwMIRROR
9/28/99 2:00 PM
Re: PRY, TO

I guess I'll be the first to comment on this song.....

In other posts people have asked about Pearl Jam dreams....well, the only PJ dream I ever had was about Pry To. I had the WORST night sleep because what seemed like ALL NIGHT LONG all I heard was Eddie singing out P-R-I-V-A-C-Y over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over...etc....you get my drift.

Anyway, after each time he spelled it, he said something real fast which I couldn't make out.....in my dream I remember it was CRUCIAL that I figured out what he was saying, it was a REVELATION of some sort......

When I first woke up I remember thinking...WOW, I finally figured out the real meaning behind that song!.....I am the only one who knows it!.....then I remembered what the revealing sentence was....ready for this.....

"P-R-I-V-A-C-Y spells privacy"!

That was it....the crucial message in my dream.....the one I worked all night trying to decifer......I almost gave up Pearl Jam music after that night!

I Let My Music Take Me Where My Heart Wants To Go
~Cat Stevens

moyboy
9/28/99 2:36 PM

hmmm. that's a tough one. I have this weird feeling that this song may be about privacy.
Of course, I'm not very good at this kind of thing... ;o)

CandleOfThought
9/28/99 4:26 PM

Actually, I always thought it was "P-R-I-V-A-C-Y, it drives us mad"...

Anyway, I believe everyone knows this song played backwards (something you can only do on VINYL - unless you play the CD on a computer, record the PCM file and reverse it, that is), actually says "Oh, Pete Townsend, how you saved my life"...

So that's it... just an experiment... actually a nice one, I could never figure out how you'd make something make sense played both backwards and forward... plus it's short, unlike other experiments in this album, so I don't have to skip it...

*** CandleOfThought ***
"Shower the people you love with love, show them the way that you feel"

evenkat
9/28/99 6:04 PM
Re: RrVwMIRROR LOL. R o l a i d s spells relief.

Sorry that just made me think of that.

Anyway I agree with Candleofthought lyrics.

"You know what it's like" EV

Yield
9/28/99 6:14 PM

Ok, can some explain how a song can say something forwards and backwards and still make sense?? i mean, when you hear something backwards, its are garbage, but you dont hear that way on pry to....please someone aid me

Bastet
9/28/99 6:35 PM

Wow - there IS controversy over the lyrics! LOL I haven't heard this in a long time so I have no idea what the lyrics are. I do know that I sometimes disagree with the songbook. I don't know who transcribed those songs but unless Ed did, they aren't the final word. And RrVwMIRROR - that is SO DEEP! ;-)

>^--^<

OpenBand4TheSun
9/28/99 8:58 PM
P r i v a c y

it's dear to me. I'll come back and respond after I listen to it forward and backward, but I believe that privacy is something that is important to us all, and as we head into the future, our privacy becomes less and less!

Oh... and it makes a good intro to the next song..... (Goosebumps again)

hedonist
9/28/99 10:02 PM
Re: P r i v a c y

This is a huge issue to me too...and gives me a good opportunity to vent about something...

What's with the goddamn hidden cameras everywhere? In bathrooms, dressing rooms, hotel rooms, at work, at streetlights, spying on your wife, your child, your nanny...and these new little gems of video taken by secretly filming up a woman's skirt...sheer genius, right...even the government has cameras capable of watching YOU from space...this little sanctuary I call home is the only place I have the freedom to do just about whatever I want, without the worry of it coming back to haunt me down the road in some way...

hedonist
9/29/99 00:29 AM
Just wanted say about that camera post of mine...

...I COME IN PEACE!! ;o)

allareone
9/29/99 03:41 AM

I have no idea about the mumble, so as per usual, I make up my own :)

It's priceless seem like very cool lyrics though - think about it, how much have PJ had their lives invaded. Comes with the territory of their career, but imagine if that was YOU losing it, would be hard to take I imagine,in a way, that's a good thing about this board being 'watched'...P R I V A C Y, it's priceless :)

JeromeTurner
9/29/99 08:05 AM

gee, i wonder. i think this one speaks for it self. unless it really is ROLAIDS, like the guy said......

brokenarrow
9/29/99 10:00 AM
You're gonna think I'm stupid, but.....

...OK...You're all going to think I'm a wing-nut.....(Ok, alot of you already do, but that's an entirely different subject...!)
I have always heard....
P.R.I.V.A.C.Y. it's rise is coming........
I know, I know......It's extremely stupid.....but Mr. Ed is so gosh darned hard to understand sometimes.......heh, heh....ahem.......
So there you have it......Faulty I know, I can take it...You can let me have it for non-understanding........

Rearviewmirror...that sounds like a nightmare to me.......It's like running in your dream and never making any progress!
brokenarrow>

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go....
~C.S.

RrVwMirror
1/31/01 09:40 AM
Re: SOTD: ....PRY TO

HEY HEDONIST....YOU ARE UNDER OPEN AGAIN!!! ;-)

BA..."it's rise is coming..."hehe...I must have missed that one first time around!

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go....
~C.S.

brokenarrow
1/31/01 09:42 AM

heh.....heh.....................

DUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it's rise is coming........sheesh!

;-)

hedo is under open again? well well well................look who fell in the well..............

hedonist
1/31/01 09:44 AM
Love being under my man........

...or above him...hehe........

Morning, my friends!

ILUVCATS
1/31/01 10:37 AM

I sent you a pm

littleas
1/31/01 10:37 AM

my only pj dream was that i was in new orleans (my first show) and eddie was fuckin' running along this bus i was in w/ my baseball team, and then he goes under this huge tree (just like those awesome trees in nola). this has nothing to do w/ the song of the day, but any other nice pj dreams out there?

"I've never played as good as today except for the days I played better" - fc

1/31/01 12:48 PM

i missed that too

missed the whole thread - maybe it was posted on a weekend so i missed it

BA - giggle (i was going to put snigger - but that sounded evil!)

priceless post!!!

(groan)

"inside your ugly, ugly like me"

evenkat
2/1/01 06:41 AM

:)

"You know what it's like?" EV
I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    DoTheEvolution11
    2/1/01 07:25 AM

I don't know if there is really controversy about the lyrics, I thought they were "P-R-I-V-A-C-Y is priceless to me"

I did the whole thing where I played it backwards. I don't have it on vinyl, but I used to work at a news station. So, I recorded the song onto a Beta tape (like a VCR tape) then I used one of the editing machines to play it backwards and recorded it on another tape. I thought it was rather ingenious of me, but anyway. I can't make out "Pete Townshend" all I can make out is "mumble mumble you saved my life" so maybe it's supposed to be Pete's name... I don't know but the "you saved my life" part sounds suprisingly clear. Anyway... it's pretty interesting either way.

*slipping away*
    2/1/01 07:28 AM

i always thought the lyric was P-R-I-V-A-C-Y, it's priceless to me.

this song just totally fits on the album... an album i believe to be about just that... privacy, the media, and ultimately, how pete saved eddie's life.

i remember the first time playing that song backwards and getting the most outrageous case of goosebupms. if you haven't done it yet guys... do it... it's so damn cool.

-she's lost in coma where it's beautiful-

hedonist
    5/1/01 1:25 PM
    well lookie here........

This little gem was just screaming to be brought back up top........

onlyaword
    5/1/01 1:30 PM
    Re: well lookie here........

Yes, very appropriate today considering some of the posts coming through... (doing my part to keep it bumped up to the top!)

EdHead99
    5/1/01 2:16 PM
    You're opeeeeeeen, hed..........:):):)

we know you just wanted to re-visit the moment when Open was...ahem...above you...heh;) But I'm hoping that since we're now in the 'enlightened' age, you'll engage in some role reversal!

And I missed this one the first time around, so I'm getting a second chance to respond.

It took me more than a few listens to decipher this one...'what is he saying?'!!! And then, when I finally figured it out...well, it does remind me of my place in this world and my place as a PJ fan. It's just human nature to be curious about the people we so admire...just witness the incredible sales that the tabloids enjoy, as sad as it may be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Crap kills.

evenkat
    5/1/01 2:18 PM
    Re: well lookie here........

"You know what it's like?" EV

hedonist
    5/1/01 2:20 PM
    role (roll?) playing

Oh EdHead...over, under, backward, sideways...hehe...enlightened indeed!

(btw, re privacy...if I had a dollar for every time I've read "I know it's none of my business, but.....")

EdHead99
    5/1/01 2:35 PM
    spin me round..roll me over....

Hey hed, how's those contortionist lessons coming along?;) Hope you're enjoying it around the bend:):):)

Oh and that's a great point you made there...the dreaded..."buuuuuuut, I'm gonna invade someone's privacy anyway even though I know it's not my business".

And you'd surely be raking in the dough on that one...enough to snag the DVD AND buy a player, too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Crap kills.

JDE-PJ
    5/2/01 10:29 PM

THE BANDS PERSONAL LIVES ARE JUST THAT PEOPLE THEIR PERSONAL LIVES, DEAL WITH IT, YOU WANT GOSSIP THERE ARE PLENTY OF PLACES TO FIND IT ON THE NET!!

Now back to the music for your listening pleasure!

I know someday you will have a beautiful life

Jason

G_Money
    5/2/01 10:36 PM

Does this song actually say something when u play it backwards???

G-Money
    "I'm So Happy With My Righteous Self"
    I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
  • Options
    Yes privacy is important