Song of the day(Corduroy)

JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
Time for one of the staples off of Vitalogy, both live and on this album, a fun one for everyone!

Corduroy

RrVwMirror
2/1/01 09:19 AM
SOTD: ....CORDUROY!!

El Conquistador
9/29/99 10:31 AM
I don't want to take what you can't give..CORDUROY

okay guys, let's get some energy back behind the songs of the day....everyone tell what you think of this song. It is truely one of pj's best and I would like to know what it means to you... Also ponder the meaning og the name.

CORDUROY

The waiting drove me mad...you're finally here and I'm a mess
I take your entrance back...can't let you roam inside my head
I don't want to take what you can give...
I would rather starve than eat your bread...
I would rather run but I can't walk...
Guess I'll lie alone just like before...

I'll take the firmest path...oh, and I must refuse your test
A-push me and I will resist...this behavior's not unique
I don't want to hear from those who know...
They can buy, but can't put on my clothes...
I don't want to limp for them to walk...
Never would have known of me before...
I don't want to be held in your debt...
And I'll pay it off in blood, let I be wed...
And I'm already cut up and half dead...
I'll end up alone like I began...

Everything has changed, absolutely nothing's changed
Take my hand, not my picture, spilled my tincture

I don't want to take what you can give...
I would rather starve than eat your breast...
All the things that others want for me...
Can't buy what I want because it's free... (2x)
Can't be what you want because I'm...

I ain't s'posed to be just fun
Oh, to live and die, let it be done
I figure I'll be damned, all alone like I began...

It's your move now...
I thought you were a friend, but I guess I, I guess I hate you...

hedonist
9/29/99 12:05 PM
Re: I don't want to take what you can't give..CORDUROY

I love listening to this song, especially the LO2L version...but I wasn't really sure what it was about...reading the lyrics, I think Ed is talking to those who elevated him to the level of demi-god, who would crowd in too close around him, drown him with requests for autographs, pictures, favors...I read something about Ed saying that he used to read all the letters that were sent to him, but it was just too much to take on, that it was difficult not to take each of those people to heart and not let it affect him..."I take your entrance back, can't let you roam inside my head"...and I love the line "everything has changed, absolutely nothing's changed"...still the same person but now seen differently because of this new, almost overwhelming, environment of huge success and connection to so many...

As far as how the title relates to this song...I checked my dictionary, and besides the fabric thing, corduroy also means a road made of logs laid down crosswise...sturdy...as in "I'll take the firmest path", so maybe that's it...I really don't know...I'm curious to hear your takes on this...

And what does the line "I would rather starve than eat your breast" mean? Hmmmm...

PJMom
9/29/99 12:57 PM

I would rather starve than eat your BREAD not breast! Sheesh. I know it sounds like that but it's not. And what I take that to mean is that he is not going to swollow any more propaganda/lies. I think in terms of religion here too in that I will not believe just because I am supposed to. I know that is probably not what is referred to but you know sometimes a line fits your life. If I am not mistaken, Corduroy was supposed to refer to his brown jacket--you can buy but can't put on my clothes--and how the designers were copying his fashion styles.
AND, one more thing, is the changed vs. chains lyric. I have listened to several versions of this and have concluded that if you want to hear chains you will hear chains and if you want to hear changed you will hear that. Either way it sounds good and I too love this song.

leatherman
9/29/99 2:06 PM

this is personally one of my favorite songs...and probably the one that best personifies pearl jam. i personally thought that "i take your entrance back, can let you roam inside my head" refers to FAME. he doesn't want to be famous and he doesn't want to think about all the extra attention the fame brings. this song gives insight as to what EV was feeling at this point, probably the most difficult time for the band. i love everything about this damn song.

p.s. he say "bread" in the 1st verse and "breast" in the last
breast referring to the groupies, he doesn't want them since he has his own relationship

eballad
9/29/99 3:53 PM

This and Black are far and away my favorite songs....
for me the song is great all around but what I love the best is the decline and rise of the music at the end.....
I absolutely get in a trance(spelling) when I hear the last 2 minutes or so
I love how it builds from just jeff and dave then the rythm picks up then the 2nd guitar and then the third later on....ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENOL!!!!!!!!

OpenBand4TheSun
9/29/99 6:52 PM
I want a cool corduroy jacket like ed's...

Bravo! That was an excellent interp hedonist! I'm gonna have to go with that summation.

Not much to add, but maybe a question for ya'll.... When you hear the begining of Corduroy, does it not (automatically) give ya goosebumps, too!

allareone
9/29/99 6:54 PM

AGREED!!!
I'm gonna have to really think on this one, I could repost the nothingman *reality* and it would be similar. L02L, yes, this one changed my direction :)
Get back on this

RrVwMIRROR
9/29/99 10:01 PM

I shared this once before I think....but Corduroy is one of my most favorite songs....and since I was fortunate enough to FINALLY see PJ last year, it took on a whole new meaning to me!

As Pearl Jam took the stage last August in Barrie Ontario...it was a dream finally come true! I was standing there 4 hours waiting for them to take the stage....thought I was a safe distance from the mosh pit....that scene is just not for me!....Finally, Pearl Jam came out.....I got a great look at Ed, started to freak out, couldn't believe they were actually in front of me!...Then the opening song.....Courduroy....how appropriate, "The waiting drove me mad".....I couldn't believe what happened next....total chaos...we were closer than we thought to the mosh pit.....I started to panic....in a split second, my emotions went from total elation to total fear...I remember my husband grabbing my arm in an attempt not to be seperated, and to help get me out of there....couldn't control where you were going....started to panic because there was such a crush of people around me....."You're finally here and I'm a mess"....I couldn't believe it, this is not how I wanted to see Pearl Jam, I actually wanted to see them....can't do that in or around the pit, can't appreciate the music there.....I don't know how you young ones do it, more power to you, but I am too old for that shit! Anyway, I missed the rest of the song, only heard those 2 lines....by the time we fought our way out, I think we missed 3 songs....it was all a total blur....

When I hear the beginning of Corduroy now, it takes me right back to that concert...all my emotions come flooding back to me....I would have it no other way, it's kind of like having that first PJ experience preserved in my soul!

I Let My Music Take Me Where My Heart Wants To Go
~Cat Stevens

JamFan
9/29/99 10:43 PM

Just a great song about devotion. One of my faves.

I don't want to take what you can give. I would rather starve that eat your bread.-EV
I know someday you will have a beautiful Life

Jason
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    OpenBand4TheSun
    9/29/99 11:40 PM
    RrVwMIRROR.... Been there, Done that!

I remeber when they came on stage in Greenville... One second I'm 4 feet from the stage the next, I'm 40 feet away. An experience in itself!!

Beautiful memeory, thanks for sharing!

allareone
    9/30/99 00:13 AM

AS Hedonist wrote, the trappings of fame, I love this song - it ROCKS so hard! The music, the emotion, the frustration 'take my hand not my picture, spilled my tinture' -maybe having a few drinks alone, flashing back to mobbings and stuff, getting the shakes at the thought, & damn! spilling the drink. Everything has changed, absolutly nothings changed - still the same guy he was before, peoples' reactions to the stardom thing might have fucked him up for a time.
    Can't let you roam inside my head ... didn't RK mention they were using telepathy on the new album... have a choof peoples, concerntrate & see if you can hear them :), hee hee, never know your luck! Give it to 'em Jamily - positive vibes! Maybe Eds'a shaman or an alien..any one notice that photo on Lo2L where he has six fingers? :)

wendi
    9/30/99 01:29 AM

Leatherman - you took the words out of my mouth...F*A*M*E and all it's trappings....The first time I heard that song I had bought the record early, desperate for new PJ. That song, for some reason, had me shaking by the end of it. It was just so powerful.

CandleOfThought
    9/30/99 05:51 AM
    Thank you!!!

Light has just dawned on me with this one. I always loved "Corduroy, but I never could understand waht it was about, only feel the frustration in the song...

I love this feeling of revelation when you read an interpretation and the song just echoes and flows out of it, the sudden depth added to the music...

Everybody has been very thorough in analyzing it, so I'll just challenge you to ponder the meaning of the illustration in the album: Vedder's dental records. What do you make of it? What comes to my mind is the fact that these are used as last form of identification when someone dies and is disfigured, so they can only make an ID from the teeth. I take it to mean he's grasping to his identity, in the midst of this flurry of change imposed by stardom...

*** CandleOfThought ***
    "Shower the people you love with love, show them the way that you feel"

9/30/99 08:00 AM

this is just a beautiful song, and i do get goosebumps in those few first bars

unfortunately i can't hear the song without thinking about the book (it's one of those mental imagery
    things - the little teddy, the buttons) but everytime i hear that one line (i don't know if it is chains or changed,
    but it works either way) i have one of those quiet reflective moments about my life (notice how many
    of ed's lyrics make us take a good look at ourselves??) and sometimes it almost makes me feel
    bad about being a fan (silly - but really ed - i'm not trying to give anything) so i guess i do interpret
    the song as having something to do with the trappings of fame

ok, my little train just derailed

Sister Parish
    9/30/99 3:12 PM

Ah, this is my absolute favorite PJ "Fuck You" song, even more so than anything on "Vs."

"I would rather starve than eat your bread." "Can't be what you want because I'm . . . (free)" When I hear this song, my frustration and anger are transformed into empowerment. This song is like taking a deep breath so you can dive through all the shit and end up coming out raging on top. It's an amazing thing. Testament to the power of PJ's music.

I think everyone's doing a great job with the interpretations, I agree with most of what's been said, especially in regard to the negative, consuming aspects of fame, from overzealous fans to the idiot press.

And an extra round of applause for Mr. Vedder, please, for the skillful use of "tincture" as a song lyric!

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go....
    ~C.S.

hedonist
    2/1/01 09:33 AM
    Re: SOTD: ....CORDUROY!!

I hear "chains"........

And I love this thread! Hope others will add to it.........

souvenir
    2/1/01 09:43 AM

Whenever the song plays for me it is changed because I relate to it more with that lyric.

eCio
    2/1/01 09:47 AM

This song is so powerful and full of anger, it is sometime making me feeling guilty...
    all of PJ songs are so strong that after a listen to them I feel somewhat cleaner and I have better prespective of life...

but whta i think Ed is doing is that he tries to teach us about life, i take his words more than many else... i think they saw how other bands and their fans react and they tried to avoid it, and it is true that PJ populrity became smaller, but the quality of the fans has risen... for example, take a look at (the horrible excuse for money making) Limp Bizkit and thier fans...
    one more band had succeded in conveying their message and this band is rage against the machine, but i didnt realy liked them

rennyjenny
    2/1/01 09:50 AM

this is one of my favorite songs..i made my dj play this song at my wedding!!!! i agree with you about what the song means it is truly one of the greatest pj songs

kevino
    2/1/01 10:28 AM

I think thats its about being made to do things on your own and when someone tries to help you don't want help.

MDSkinner
    2/1/01 10:37 AM

I relate to changed more as well, but that is the beauty of PJ songs. Both lyrics are very meaningful and none of us has a clue as to which one it really is.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." ~Steven Coallier~

kcycledelic
    2/1/01 2:57 PM

It's one of my favorites of all time ... but I thought it was "everything has chains ..." etc.

can't buy what i want because it's free ...

shedmyskinatlast
    2/1/01 3:32 PM

It's one of my favorite all around PJ songs.
    I think the only interpretation that is correct would be Eddie's. The reason I like it so much is that I can interpret the lyrics to my own life and it makes me feel that somebody out there understands me.

"I don't want to limp for you to walk"

Jason
  • JDE-PJJDE-PJ Posts: 721
    goin' to lukins
    2/1/01 3:58 PM

Wow I had never thought of Corduroy in that mannor but it does make sense especially in the context of when it was written. My interpretation had always been that is was about loveing someone who doesn't love you. But after hearing the interpretation about fame that maks more sense.

My old interpretation:
    The waiting drove me mad...you're finally here and I'm a mess - a guy waiting for the right time to talk o her and she talks to him when he's not ready has is all a mess

I take your entrance back...can't let you roam inside my head - I wish I hadn't ever met you because you're all I can think of and you don't want me.

I don't want to take what you can give... - doesn't want to take her love he wants her to give him her love

I would rather starve than eat your bread... - I don't want to what she doesn't want to give me

I would rather run but I can't walk... - you got to take small steps before you can jump into anything

Guess I'll lie alone just like before... - If you don't love me and you're the I love then I'll be alone

I'll take the firmest path...oh, and I must refuse your test - I don't want to play games this better not be a test

A-push me and I will resist...this behavior's not unique - don't fuck with me be straight forward

I don't want to hear from those who know... -i don't feel like hearing other people tell me what to do, this situations unique and I don't want your advice

They can buy, but can't put on my clothes... - This is my ordeal let me deal with it. You're not in my shoes

I don't want to limp for them to walk... - I'm not sacrificing myself for anyone else

Never would have known of me before... - She didn't even pay attention to him before he went up toher and talked to her.

I don't want to be held in your debt... - I don't want you to love me and feel like you're doing a service to me

And I'll pay it off in blood, let I be wed... - If you were to love me I'd give my life for you

And I'm already cut up and half dead... - This has already been so painful she's already hurt him dearly

I'll end up alone like I began... - Well if she doesn't love me I'll be alone like I began

All the things that others want for me... - Your friends want you to be happy and in love

Can't buy what I want because it's free... (2x) - someone's love is free

Can't be what you want because I'm... - I can't change who I am and you don't want me so I can't be what you want

I ain't s'posed to be just fun - There's more to me than just having a good time and apparently thats all she wants

Oh, to live and die, let it be done - Living and dying are things we don't have much control over and so is another persons love.

I figure I'll be damned, all alone like I began... - I'm damned be by myself since she doesn't want me and she's the only person I want

It's your move now... - I've told you that I want you so now it's up to you

I thought you were a friend, but I guess I, I guess I hate you... - rejection brings hatred. No we can't be friends.

Well that was what my interpretation has always been. I still kinda of like that one because I can really relate to it. But I think the song was really inteded to be about fame. But I think this is why Eddie doesn't want to give his intepretation of his songs away. Each song means something different to each and every person and if it hits me a completely different way than what Eddie intended then so what, does that decrease from it's validity or it's greatness? Not in my opinion. The song probably is about fame but those lessons can always be related to other aspects of life.

One thing that I know though I'm younger than you
    Even Jesus would never forgive what you do

dim22
    2/1/01 4:09 PM

Something about tracks that linger around the number eight position on PJ albums: Porch, Rearviewmirror, the aforementioned, Red Mosquito, MFC(discounting the colour red, soz jack), Binaural didn't give me a song worthy of 'Track 8'-although damned good Of A Girl is not a track 8. It's one of those things I look for on new PJ releases. Cool

"Why can't I walk down a street free of suggestion?"

2/1/01 4:50 PM

brings me right back to barrie rearview!! - the nutty panic when the band
    came on, my "i ain't movin'" mentality - geesh

still gives me goosebumps!

and guess what - the waiting is still driving me mad!!!!

"well i hate to ask, but are friends electric?"

evluver
    2/1/01 5:00 PM

i LOVE how it begins........

"...the love he receives is the love that is saved..."

Sea Biscuit
    2/1/01 5:02 PM

Corduroy... still the only song I can play on guitar...heh heh... what a great song.

Sir Monkey
    2/1/01 5:32 PM

I've always figured the changed/chains line is - "Everything has chains, absolutely nothing's changed." That just seems to make the most sense to me.

"Lay back and groove on a rainy day"

James Marshall Hendrix

RrVwMirror
    2/1/01 6:43 PM

WOW!!! THIS IS SO AWESOME GUYS!!! I LOVE THE RESPONSES TO THIS ONE!!!

:-)

nice interp 'goin to lukins'....the beautiful part about PJ's music is just as you stated.....it can mean so many different things to so many different people....thank god they do not do videos! That would truly kill it for us to know "their" intent of the song...anyway, I don't think there is any right or wrong....which is why we started these threads, to discuss what the music means to us!

I let my music take me where my heart wants to go....
    ~C.S.

spanna161
    4/17/01 08:01 AM

firstly, i've always thought of it as the 'fame' thing (i thought i was sooo good when i thought i had it figured out.. hehe) but i really like goin' to lukins too.. :o)
    secondly... i hear it has "everything has chains, absolutely nothing's changed" which i interpreted as 'life is still screwed up, people still have problems but i'm not the spokesperson for this generation and what i do makes no diference to the issues and problems found in daily life'.. or something to that affect anyway..
    and last but not least... what i love about these songs is that there are so many interpretations for so many people and none of them can be 'wrong'

vegetable rights and peace

hedonist
    6/26/01 09:44 AM
    bumping this baby up..........

.......for those who were talking about the lyrics to this song......thought it might add to the discussion..........

juicehead
    6/26/01 10:12 AM

I used to love this song until last year's tour.

"speaking as a pro-choice rebel-flag flyin' bleeding heart conservative Communist" Jhead 9-12-99

ballsdeep
    6/26/01 10:41 AM

just a comment about the lyric...everything has chains/everything has changed...i think it is everything has changed, absolutly nothings changed. maybe im wrong but if that is it, those lines make a lot of sence to me right now....so even if im wrong, i like to think its everything has changed, absolutly nothing changed

i'd rather be dead than cool
    -kurt Cobain

t_norris
    6/26/01 10:50 AM

i just listened to "slow corduroy" from the 96 Bridge School gig and i Still think he's saying "I'll take the Varmint's path" instead of "firmest path. maybe my ears are just trained to hear it that way though:-)

Ted
    exponentiallyservingperpetuallyunnervingvehicle swervingtheadjectivestheyareallablurring

Raptorsfan
    6/26/01 10:54 AM

I hear the same words as you Ted.

anne

how I wish for you today

hailwhale
    6/26/01 11:07 AM

I think that when Ed puts his cords on and roam the streets like an ordinary man he truly feels free.....:) Seriously I have no guess better than anybody else´s but the song is a masterpiece and they always nail it live.

Jason
  • heard this song today :D
    great tune
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    Don't let me know we're invisible
    We could dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
    Dance, dance, dance thru' the fire
  • claytonclayton Posts: 11
    the name came from an old corduroy jacket that stone gave eddie that came from a thrift store and he wore it all the time
  • Ahhhhhh.... some sweet memories of teenage days come flooding back when I think of this song... it got me thru some rough times, even if it's main purpose was for me to stand in my room playing it as loud as my poor little stereo would allow it to go and me singing along as if I was the one who wrote it and my life depended on me belting this song out! Some very effective release of tensions and whatnot.

It was the song that really and truly sealed my PJ fandom. Go started it, RVM got me excited about them, Corduroy sealed the deal! Vitalogy was the 1st album I ever bought on vinyl too and I just loved the way Corduroy sounded thru my record player. It was raw and it gave it added feeling to me.

And even tho PJ play it live a whole lot, it still gets me excited when I hear it live on a boot or in person... there's just something about it.
    "...to love some silly piece of music... or some band so much that it hurts"