The Cult

I've recently "rediscovered" The Cult and have immersed myself in their music. I got into them back in 1989 when Sonic Temple came out and also had Electric, but forgot about them for a long time. I heard "Sun King" on the radio a few years back and it reminded me of their music, so I got Sonic Temple and didn't decide to listen to it until recently. I went ahead and got all of their records. Needless to say, I've been pretty happy with them! Their newer stuff is really good, too. I was able to find the 2 box sets full of demos and b-sides, etc. that came out in 2000 and 2002. Amazing!

One demo album that I haven't been able to find is Weapon of Choice. It was available on ITunes in the US for 2 months back in 2012, but now is only available in Europe. If anyone here has this, could you please get me a copy? I'll pay or I have lots of stuff to trade. Thanks!

Any other fans, feel free to talk about other records, tours, etc. I just wanted to put this request out to see if anyone has this, as it is the only piece of studio music I've not been able to locate. The Choice of Weapon record (with the Capsule 1& 2 eps included) is probably my favorite of their newer material, but I do love their latest, Hidden City as well. Born Into This is decent, too. I love all of their records. I haven't started collecting live music by them, yet. Their studio records have been really fun to jam out on the past few weeks. Their vibe kind of reminds me of Mother Love Bone...

"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 

Comments

• erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    edited October 2017
    I found this on iTunes UK, but live in the US, so I can't purchase it. If anyone living in the UK with ITunes would buy this and email it to me, I'd gladly reimburse them. Thanks. I don't get why we still have to deal with borders when it comes to music nowadays.

Edit: This is also available in Canada, if anyone from there is feeling charitable? lol.. trying to buy this album is driving me crazy..:s
    Post edited by erocshifty on
  • Calling all Northerners:

@demetrios @PJ_Soul @Hugh Freaking Dillon

Can anybody help him out?
    Calling all Northerners:

@demetrios @PJ_Soul @Hugh Freaking Dillon

Can anybody help him out?

Thanks, man! I need all the help I can get.. I've all of their other albums/boxsets. I'd gladly throw in something extra to entice the offer and make it worth the trouble. Live PJ/RHCP or Metallica bootlegs? They have locked this record down. I've never run into an issue like this with any other release.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    Sorry, what are you looking for erocshifty? A digital version of Weapon of Choice? Or an LP?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Electric was my favourite album. From start to finish... just awesome.

Peace Dog used to be played very loudly by us whenever it came on.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    PJ_Soul said:
    Sorry, what are you looking for erocshifty? A digital version of Weapon of Choice? Or an LP?

It's the Weapon of Choice demo record to Choice of Weapon. I got in touch with a friend from the UK and am getting it sent to me now! Woo hoo!!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    PJ_Soul said:

It's the Weapon of Choice demo record to Choice of Weapon. I got in touch with a friend from the UK and am getting it sent to me now! Woo hoo!!
    :plus_one:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

It was only released digitally. Listening now and sounds like a good mix of Love/Electric/Sonic Temple and Self Titled. This and C.O.W. are my favorite of their recent albums.. W.O.C. is the album before Bob Rock came in and made it a little more concise and sound bigger. Their boxed sets have a wealth of demos/outtakes between 1984-1994, with the Peace (original Electric) record.
    Electric was my favourite album. From start to finish... just awesome.

Peace Dog used to be played very loudly by us whenever it came on.

Yes, Electric still sounds amazing. Rocking record! The Peace record is basically Electric- Love style. Amazing band.. 2 principal members/writers throughout their career. They were able to change their styles and fit in with what was current. The Sonic Temple and Ceremony records are a lot of fans least favorite, but I love the "big rock" sound on them. There's not a record or era that I haven't loved.
    edited October 2017
    Image result for andrew wood ian astbury and chris cornell

Love this picture!! Chris, Andy and Ian Astbury.

Here's another one with some more familiar faces...
    Related image
    Post edited by erocshifty on
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Listening to them now as I type. Been listening to them, on and off, since 1986. They were over here some years ago, it was brilliant, I hope they come back soon.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Revolution- another awesome song.

Wonderland (from Ceremony) was a great tune as well that nobody seemed to really dig that much.

The self titled album was solid too... again... not as much love for it.
    Revolution- another awesome song.

Wonderland (from Ceremony) was a great tune as well that nobody seemed to really dig that much.

Both of those albums are excellent to me. The b-sides from Ceremony and S/T are outstanding as well. Red Jesus is probably my favorite song of theirs. Their boxed sets have tons of unreleased demos and b-sides. Most underrated band ever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHoZ_qxZh48
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    edited October 2017
    Just bought dream something. 
    Post edited by Shyner on
  • Revolution- another awesome song.

Both of those albums are excellent to me. The b-sides from Ceremony and S/T are outstanding as well. Red Jesus is probably my favorite song of theirs. Their boxed sets have tons of unreleased demos and b-sides. Most underrated band ever.

I'm going to start sniffing around the box set you speak of.

Thanks for the info.
    Revolution- another awesome song.

I'm going to start sniffing around the box set you speak of.

Thanks for the info.
    Rare Cult has 102 songs/7 discs and Rare Cult: The Demo Sessions has 77 songs/5 discs. I think only 22 songs are repeated between the two. They're unavailable as original purchases, unless you're prepared to spend some serious cheddar on used copies. They were released in limited copies. 3000, I believe? The files are pretty easy to find on a couple of mp3 sites, however.  
    @Thirty Bills Unpaid , The Best of Rare Cult is a good starting point for the boxed sets. There's 5 songs on it that didn't make either one. I think a couple of them are different versions of songs. The River is different on that than it is on the box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Cult
  • @Thirty Bills Unpaid , The Best of Rare Cult is a good starting point for the boxed sets. There's 5 songs on it that didn't make either one. I think a couple of them are different versions of songs. The River is different on that than it is on the box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_Cult
    Lots of useful info here.

Thanks!

When I get back home from Roger Waters... I'm going to start snooping around.