Options

Is modern popular music on the decline?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    eddiec said:
    What I find potentially troubling is the future of the album. Have you ever looked at a 20-year old's ipod? It's just songs, no albums.
    Could it happen that in the future artists will just put out singles with no albums?
    Billy Corgan attempted this, and it was a dismal failure. But that was most likely due to the public's apathy towards Smashing Pumpkins. It will most likely be the way things go for pop artists, though. Many rock artists have already declared the album format to be dead. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think EPs are the future. 
  • Options
    I honestly thought iTunes would be the rebirth of the bside. Release a single on iTunes and throw in an outtake. I guess to an extent it has, but they found a way to make more money off them by issuing all the bsides at the end of an album, calling it a "Deluxe" version and charging an extra $10 to own it. I guess I'm an old romantic and likes seeing those issued in singles. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    I honestly thought iTunes would be the rebirth of the bside. Release a single on iTunes and throw in an outtake. I guess to an extent it has, but they found a way to make more money off them by issuing all the bsides at the end of an album, calling it a "Deluxe" version and charging an extra $10 to own it. I guess I'm an old romantic and likes seeing those issued in singles. 
    me too. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    PJ_Soul said:
    You all want to know where the new music scene is?

Country Music.

That's the new "pop" rock and has been for a while now.  That scene is a juggernaut.

What I have been finding with newer younger bands, they are all listening to 90's rock, lol.  They love the stuff.

I was actually under the impression that we've gone through that dark period and are slowly emerging back into the light. I feel like that horrible modern country craze is dwindling a bit now.... I'm just hoping it continues to fade, lol. Not that I begrudge people who enjoy it .... I just hate it enough to wish that it weren't popular enough to be categorized as pop music. It should just stay in soley in the country music genre where it belongs. :lol:  (btw, it modern country a big thing outside of the USA??)
    That guy puking... :lol:

Modern "country music", where I live, is big.  Even C. likes to listen to it though she knows how much I can't stand to listen to it so never she never plays it around me.  Her business partner likes it as well.  I can't for the life of me understand what people like about it.  Almost all of it is sort of this creepy hybrid of country and rock and 90 percent of the lyrics are dumb jokes.

"We'll put a boot up your ass...it's the American way."
    "I'd like to kiss you way back in the sticks, I'd like to walk through a field of wildflowers, And I'd like to check you for ticks"
    "Like the crops need the rain, She's my honeycomb, And I'm her sugar cane, We really fit together, If you know what I'm talking about"
    "They'll promise fancy cars and diamond rings and all sorts of shiny things, but girl, you'll remember what your knees are for."

etc.   Who makes up this shit?

All that said, I am a fan of a lot of more traditional country music- the good stuff by people like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Emmy Lou Harris, Ernest Tubb and a few others.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    eddiec said:
    What I find potentially troubling is the future of the album. Have you ever looked at a 20-year old's ipod? It's just songs, no albums.
    Could it happen that in the future artists will just put out singles with no albums?
    That would be a disaster!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,566
    eddiec said:
    Vinyl has made a big comeback recently, so I'd say that means there is at least a large niche market still interested in full albums. Plus, with streaming services like Spotify, the album is the standard presentation. That said, yeah, a lot of people just listen to one-off songs... the people who are just average casual music listeners, which is the vast majority of people.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata