Eddie - Long Road on ukulele at Ohana?

i've been inspired to take uke lessons because of you, but I am drawn to the more "non ukulele" songs to learn.... I'm trying long Road and my teacher and I have tried a few versions, but would like you to teach us how it's done, please.

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,402
    D
    D
    D
    D
    all the friends and family G
    D
    i have wait for so long      em
    A
    D
    and the wind keeps rolling.....C
    and the sun is set......G
    D
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • That's pretty much how we've been playing it, but experimenting with different strumming patterns... for instance, I've tried strumming to the drum beat after the intro and also tried strumming the way he plays it solo, but making it a bit more "uke-like".  Thank you!
  • I don't know. If there's one song that might not translate well to a uke, I'd guess it to be Long Road. I say that because I've thought exactly like you. It's so tough because you gotta hit that D note and let it ring...and that's so hard to do with a uke. It's too sort. Here's what I suggest if you want to stay in the same key...but it's not historically a method on a uke- put a capo on the second fret and play as if you're playing it in C, but the capo makes it D. So strum your new D chord and hit the C string open for the open D note that you hear Ed play on guitar. The rest is easy to transpose, so maybe give that a shot. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    Man if he plays long road at pilgrimage it would be incredible. Has he ever played it solo? 
  • bbiggs said:
    Man if he plays long road at pilgrimage it would be incredible. Has he ever played it solo? 
    Yes, but only in very recent shows. I can't recall at the moment if he had played it solo before this last tour overseas, but it was certainly dusted off for those shows after the world lost Chris. 
    Wow. I'll have to look for it on YouTube. One of my favorites that I'd love to hear live. 
  • I'm not sure if you'll find any YouTube videos. Ed shows are run on a tight ship, and any video or audio recordings are quickly deleted. 
    For my money, the standard bearer for Ed doing Long Road is from Tribute to Heroes after 9/11 with Mike also on guitar and Neil Young on pump organ. If you've never seen that, you should look it up on YouTube.  
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    I'm not sure if you'll find any YouTube videos. Ed shows are run on a tight ship, and any video or audio recordings are quickly deleted. 
    For my money, the standard bearer for Ed doing Long Road is from Tribute to Heroes after 9/11 with Mike also on guitar and Neil Young on pump organ. If you've never seen that, you should look it up on YouTube.  
    Agreed
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Good call
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I'm not sure if you'll find any YouTube videos. Ed shows are run on a tight ship, and any video or audio recordings are quickly deleted. 
    Yes I have seen that version and agree it's amazing. I was just curious if any of the recent solo versions from this tour were out there to see. 
  • bbiggs said:
    Yes I have seen that version and agree it's amazing. I was just curious if any of the recent solo versions from this tour were out there to see. 
    I only have audio of the solo stuff.