Options

2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,375
so who do we think will get in next year?

well it better be Chris Cornell and soundgarden. It should have been them before nirvana, before Pearl Jam, chris WAS the Seattle sound. 

I really hope the boys insist they indict chris and SG next year. 

Chris should have inducted pj. 

I had no idea how much he meant to me until he was gone. A man I've never met but was my preacher and teacher. 

All things must pass...all things must pass away. 

Comments

• Options
    Come on fellas...does anyone second it? 
  • Options
    I feel like we blew it. We blew it at the hall without chris, we blew it at temple with no ed. We missed a chance for something amazing. 

I feel like the best art comes from that feeling of loss and regret. 
  • Options
    Ok just me, good chat. 
  • Options
    stevedsteved Posts: 651
    edited August 2017
    RS65573 said:
    I feel like we blew it. We blew it at the hall without chris, we blew it at temple with no ed. We missed a chance for something amazing. 

It would have been great if SGN was inducted but they weren't. They are awesome, but there is an argument because they broke up in 97' and blah blah.. I think now it would seem if they are inducted or if CC is inducted right away it would seem like it was because he passed away.

I'm not sure I understand if you were implying that PJ should have had CC induct PJ?. if so, I wouldn't say we blew it to either of these things.. I can feel your deep appreciation for Chris throughout this thread, and I appreciate that. Although some of these things are more complicated then the surface level appearances. Although the choice of Letterman was made I do believe in the late hours by necessity, the choice for Neil made sense as a father figure to the band, (Uncle Neil). 

As for the Temple shows. My thoughts are that these were Chris songs that he wrote about his friend. He brought Andys band mates and friends in to collaborate who contributed a minimal amount comparatively. Mike and Eddie were brought in to play essential roles in the project yes, but Ed was not really friends with Andy, and Hunger Strike is a song that is a social commentary not about Andy. For him to show up and sing on that one song and have it overshadow the night would have been great in some ways, but it would have taken away from the meaning of the night.. Chris stated clearly during the tour it was about bringing the music of Andy Wood and the story of him to the fans. There already were more rabid PJ fans looking at Mike to get him to throw a guitar pic and a point and a smile then following the music then at a PJ show without Ed there.. if Ed would have been there it would have been a clear distraction.. The shows were absolutely "amazing" and in my opinion Ed was not needed there for it to feel "complete"
    Post edited by steved on
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    Your logic and reasoning is 100% right. I just never got to see them all together. I was at soundgardens last show before the first breakup at the Roseland. And I am completely biased. But logic if the face of loss and pain is of little comfort. 

If my barrage of feeling lacks thought it's not always a bad thing I don't think. Art defies logic. I am just longing for less premeditated everything and more music. 

1 year after one of the best nights ever for me fenway 1, I still can't watch the proshot video because I didn't win a ticket. Maybe there is some grand plan. 

Plan fucking less and give us more of your art. Please. 
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    THE FUCKIN CURE ALREADY...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    And you can certainly argue it was the right thing to do...then.  Eddie not doing temple with them, chris not involved with the induction when he helped form them. But I don't think you can argue protection of feeling or the right choice for induction or any of that shit now. 

Yes it would have shown up chris for 1 minute when he came out at temple , but what did we protect chris from? Clearly you can not protect someone and perhaps you should instead of worrying about things you can't control, do what would be the best music and art. Would it be better with ed? Do you think he regrets not going? 

We are all going to be gone some day, they have this magic power we all either love or in my case am in constant awe of because I've tried and it's fucking hard. They are really good. 

I fee like it would be better to stop trying to protect people and guard your music from the masses and plan for years to make a perfect anything. Create and move on in my opinion. 

If i could do what they can, I hope my greatest goal would be to be beholden to leaving it all out there because you have that gift and that responsibility because what u make lives forever. 
  • Options
    RideTheWave93RideTheWave93 UK Posts: 210
    Jethro Tull
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Assuming that they are eligible, Radiohead's a slam dunk.
  • Options
    Soundgarden would be great but I just don't think it's gonna happen any time soon.
  • Options
    rummy said:
    Soundgarden would be great but I just don't think it's gonna happen any time soon.
    Soundgarden should have been in a long time ago. No doubt in the next few years they will get in though
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,243
    I'd absolutely love to see them get inducted, but I disagree that they were more deserving than Nirvana or PJ.   Nirvana and PJ were the biggest most influential bands that came out of Seattle.  Then Soundgarden and AIC round out the big 4.   I love Soundgarden, but I know they don't quite have the wide appeal as the others.  I think Nirvana and PJ were indcuted at the right times, and now it's Soundgarden's turn.

Chris has the possibility of being inducted 4 times.   Soundgarden, Audioslave, Temple of the Dog, and Solo.   I'm sure he'll get in :)  Hopefully a few times.
  • Options
    steved said:
    RS65573 said:

It would have been great if SGN was inducted but they weren't. They are awesome, but there is an argument because they broke up in 97' and blah blah.. I think now it would seem if they are inducted or if CC is inducted right away it would seem like it was because he passed away.

I'm not sure I understand if you were implying that PJ should have had CC induct PJ?. if so, I wouldn't say we blew it to either of these things.. I can feel your deep appreciation for Chris throughout this thread, and I appreciate that. Although some of these things are more complicated then the surface level appearances. Although the choice of Letterman was made I do believe in the late hours by necessity, the choice for Neil made sense as a father figure to the band, (Uncle Neil). 

As for the Temple shows. My thoughts are that these were Chris songs that he wrote about his friend. He brought Andys band mates and friends in to collaborate who contributed a minimal amount comparatively. Mike and Eddie were brought in to play essential roles in the project yes, but Ed was not really friends with Andy, and Hunger Strike is a song that is a social commentary not about Andy. For him to show up and sing on that one song and have it overshadow the night would have been great in some ways, but it would have taken away from the meaning of the night.. Chris stated clearly during the tour it was about bringing the music of Andy Wood and the story of him to the fans. There already were more rabid PJ fans looking at Mike to get him to throw a guitar pic and a point and a smile then following the music then at a PJ show without Ed there.. if Ed would have been there it would have been a clear distraction.. The shows were absolutely "amazing" and in my opinion Ed was not needed there for it to feel "complete"

I thought it was 25 years from the first release, not however long a band has been together adding up the years between hiatuses. The legacy that gets them there. And Soundgarden should.
  • Options
    steved said:
    RS65573 said:

I thought it was 25 years from the first release, not however long a band has been together adding up the years between hiatuses. The legacy that gets them there. And Soundgarden should.
    You are correct.. I was eluding to their impact being less because of the time they spent apart. If they had been together for over 25 years as PJ is and producing music that entire time and touring. If it was up to me they would be in! The impact they have had on my life has been tremendous! I was simply stating that the People who make these decisions may take that into consideration. Nirvana was a band for far less time as many who have been inducted were. I do feel if it was done this next year it might send the message that it may have been done because he passed away. 
    1994 - Pensacola, Miami, Atlanta - 1995 - Milwaukee, Milwaukee, New Orleans (Tickets to Phoenix, Las Cruces, Austin, Shows Canceled) - 1996 - Randalls Island, Randalls Island, Charlotte, N.Charleston, Ft. Lauderdale - 1997 - Oakland -1998 - Alpine Valley, Alpine Valley, Chicago, West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach -  2000 - West Palm Beach, West Palm Beach, Phoenix, Las Vegas (10th Anniversary Show)  - 2003 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Atlanta, Nashville, Camden, Camden, MSG, MSG - 2004 - Kissimmee, Fl  -  2006 - Irving Plaza, Albany, Hartford, Denver, Denver, Las Vegas - 2007 - Ed w/ Jack Irons & Flea in LA  - 2008 - West Palm Beach, Tampa, Columbia, Camden, Camden, Washington D.C. - 2009 - L.A., San Diego, Philly Spectrum Night 3 & 4  - 2010 - New Orleans, Columbus, Indianapolis, Hartford, MSG, MSG - 2011 - Ed - Hartford, Providence, Boston - 2011 - Alpine Valley X2 (PJ20), Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver - 2012 - Ed - Ft. Lauderdale x2, - 2012 / 2014 Beautiful Daughter "Emily" born 11/07/12. On the bench for 3 years! She's really cute though! - 2015 - Mexico City - 2016 - Ft. Laud, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Greenville, Raleigh, Columbia, Philly 1 & 2, Toronto 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley Night 1 & 2 - 2016 - MSG, San Francisco, San Francisco, Seattle, Seattle (TOTD) - 2018 - Seattle 1 & 2, Fenway 1 & 2

• Options
    It was actually good that eddie wasn't at TOTD. Chris and the crowd was awesome.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    As much as I love Temple of the Dog I don't see any chance of the band being inducted into the HOF. 

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    I think Smashing Pumpkins should get in before Soundgarden. Siamese Dream is a damn near perfect album and I love Soundgarden but they have never had an album front to back as impressive as SD. Of course that is only my opinion and I do hope Soundgarden gets in some day.

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    edited August 2017
    The Hip
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I think Smashing Pumpkins should get in before Soundgarden. Siamese Dream is a damn near perfect album and I love Soundgarden but they have never had an album front to back as impressive as SD. Of course that is only my opinion and I do hope Soundgarden gets in some day.

This is obviously just subjective opinion but  "Superunknown" is a masterpiece in my eyes! Over 70 minutes without a single note that is wasted.. 15 songs which was rare to do back then. Siamese Dream is an Amazing album as well, however I will refrain from comparing the two as that is not fair to the artists or in good taste. It is pointless anyway. Some would say Badmotorfinger" although more raw and shorter, the same length as "Ten", is pretty frickin awesome and "Down on the Upside" is pretty damn good as well.

For me the Pumpkins after Gish and SD Billy's voice became somewhat annoying even on Mellon Collie which still has some good tunes. 

Again just my opinion...
    Post edited by steved on

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,934
    Soundgarden has been eligible for few years now and not gone in. I hope they do someday but if it happens this year it will feel like it happened only because Chris died. That would be a shame.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options

SP should definitely be in - probably before SG (love them both). I think they both have one absolutely awesome album each (Siamese Dream and Superunknown) and a few other really good albums between them.

Sadly, neither have been even nominated for the Hall which is a damn shame. Hopefully one day (soon) they'll both be in.

Again, Radiohead for 2018 is a "lock."
  • Options
    I don't give a shit about the hall criteria. Eddie indicts everyone and has a lot of clout. U know why pj 20 didn't come out? Maybe cause chris blew Eddie the fuck away. 

Whatever The rules he's just a better singer imo. 
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    THE FUCKIN CURE ALREADY...
    yup
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    and IRON MAIDEN!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,481
    Nami said:
    The Hip

2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    BLACK35 said:
    Nami said:
    The Hip

Is there a Canadian R&H HoF? If so, they'd be displayed/celebrated in the front entrance.

Too bad the biggest headway they made in the US (in its entirety) was there SNL performance in 1995.

• Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,821
    edited August 2017
    steved said:

This is obviously just subjective opinion but  "Superunknown" is a masterpiece in my eyes! Over 70 minutes without a single note that is wasted.. 15 songs which was rare to do back then. Siamese Dream is an Amazing album as well, however I will refrain from comparing the two as that is not fair to the artists or in good taste. It is pointless anyway. Some would say Badmotorfinger" although more raw and shorter, the same length as "Ten", is pretty frickin awesome and "Down on the Upside" is pretty damn good as well.

For me the Pumpkins after Gish and SD Billy's voice became somewhat annoying even on Mellon Collie which still has some good tunes. 

Again just my opinion...
    I agree Superunknown, Badmotorfinger are excellent albums, and Down on the Upside I love more than most; I listen to it more than Badmotorfinger. But don't forget King Animal. I wish Pearl Jam could release an album that good today. PJ hasn't released an album that strong in over 10 years (and I say that being a way bigger PJ fan than SG)
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • Options
    steved said:

Again just my opinion...
    I agree Superunknown, Badmotorfinger are excellent albums, and Down on the Upside I love more than most; I listen to it more than Badmotorfinger. But don't forget King Animal. I wish Pearl Jam could release an album that good today. PJ hasn't released an album that strong in over 10 years (and I say that being a way bigger PJ fan than SG)
    King Animal was definitely better than Backspacer and Lightning Bolt - imho, of course.

Probably very selfish of me but I hope some of the new material SG was working on sees the light of day in the near future. 

Again, I think it'd be great if SG gets into the Hall but I just don't see it happening very soon.
  • Options
    steved said:
    steved said:
    RS65573 said:

You are correct.. I was eluding to their impact being less because of the time they spent apart. If they had been together for over 25 years as PJ is and producing music that entire time and touring. If it was up to me they would be in! The impact they have had on my life has been tremendous! I was simply stating that the People who make these decisions may take that into consideration. Nirvana was a band for far less time as many who have been inducted were. I do feel if it was done this next year it might send the message that it may have been done because he passed away. 

Totally agree there, some of the most impactful musicians have spent less time as recording artists to when they were honoured. But somehow I thought you'd knew that! It's the panel being awkward, it's simple though, years active is just a number, it's what you achieve in that and the impact it essentially makes. Look at Zeppelin, Nirvana, CCR etc...

I think many of us alike would get that same impression, I don't know but either way it's inevitable that they will and when they do like Zod said Chris can potentially be added from four different inputs.