NAACP issues first-ever travel advisory for a state: Missouri

BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
edited August 2017 in A Moving Train

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/naacp-issues-first-ever-travel-advisory-for-a-state-missouri/ar-AApjKh4?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=

KANSAS CITY, Mo. _ NAACP officials say their recent travel advisory for Missouri is the first that the civil rights group has issued for any state.

But the warning follows a recent trend of similar alerts issued by other groups for vulnerable people around the United States.

The travel advisory, circulated in June by the Missouri NAACP and recently taken up by the national organization, comes after travel alerts began appearing in recent years in light of police shootings in the U.S. and ahead of immigration legislation in Texas and Arizona.

The Missouri travel advisory is the first time an NAACP conference has ever made one state the subject of a warning about discrimination and racist attacks, a spokesman for the national organization said Tuesday.

Missouri became the first because of recent legislation making discrimination lawsuits harder to win, and in response to longtime racial disparities in traffic enforcement and a spate of incidents cited as examples of harm coming to minority residents and visitors, say state NAACP leaders.

Those incidents included racial slurs against black students at the University of Missouri and the death earlier this year of 28-year-old Tory Sanders, a black man from Tennessee who took a wrong turn while traveling and died in a southeast Missouri jail even though he hadn't been accused of a crime.

"How do you come to Missouri, run out of gas and find yourself dead in a jail cell when you haven't broken any laws?" asked Rod Chapel, the president of the Missouri NAACP.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Bummer.  I enjoyed traveling though MO the few times I've been through there.  No need to go back,  I suppose.  Sucks for some of the people living there. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    brianlux said:
    Bummer.  I enjoyed traveling though MO the few times I've been through there.  No need to go back,  I suppose.  Sucks for some of the people living there. 
    Sucks for people living there and those that are just passing through.
    No one should be afraid to go through or to any state in the union because of their skin color.
    brianlux said:
    No one should be afraid to go through or to any state in the union because of their skin color.
    Absolutely.  And it's not just one or two states!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Anybody been through Fresno lately?  Avoid it.  Drive through it and do not stop.

Pure shithole...
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Anybody been through Fresno lately?  Avoid it.  Drive through it and do not stop.

Pure shithole...
    Fresno was a decent little farm town years ago.  It was called "The Raisin Capitol".  Now it s become a total dump and has horrible air pollution.  Even just passing by it on Hwy 99 is a drag.  Sad!

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    gotta love living in the state that is doing a lot of firsts. first state to get a travel warning. winning!!!

in all actuality, around st louis and KC is not bad, but there are a lot of hillbillies to the north and south in the outlying areas that don't care much for african americans.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    gotta love living in the state that is doing a lot of firsts. first state to get a travel warning. winning!!!

in all actuality, around st louis and KC is not bad, but there are a lot of hillbillies to the north and south in the outlying areas that don't care much for african americans.
    It's been several years but I remember both KC and St. Fuckin Louis as  pretty cool towns.  Too bad about much of the rest of the state.

• but there are a lot of hillbillies to the north and south in the outlying areas that don't care much for african americans.
    I agree %100 and it's a shame.  I have driven through and stayed in many states (almost all of them) and there is no doubt that the south is completely racist against the African Americans even from a tourist perspective.  Mobile Alabama is something else.
    I've posted on here many of times the experiences I've seen and felt from certain states towards some.  It really is mind boggling how some states act like that in this day and age.  Trump aside.

• My first experience in St. Louis was at the Fox Theatre to see Pearl Jam.  Many front desk staff told me to stick within the arches and don't stray outside of downtown.  It was odd because I was staying downtown and to me that boundary was huge compared to some downtowns I am used to.  Nevertheless I enjoyed my stay in St. Louis