Options

Wisconsin Company to Implant Microchips in Employees

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I suppose if I had severe dementia and they wanted to chip me in case I went wandering that would be OK.  In other words, I would have to be out of my mind to do this!
    Yes, actually GPS chips are a fantastic idea for children or senile seniors who wander. I would fully support that kind of thing, assuming there was a law about when it had to be removed from the children. I would say that 13 years old would be a good time for removal.
    I wouldn't chip my kid.  I think doing so would destroy any chance of ever developing a sense of trust in them or their own sense of personal responsibility. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I suppose if I had severe dementia and they wanted to chip me in case I went wandering that would be OK.  In other words, I would have to be out of my mind to do this!
    Yes, actually GPS chips are a fantastic idea for children or senile seniors who wander. I would fully support that kind of thing, assuming there was a law about when it had to be removed from the children. I would say that 13 years old would be a good time for removal.
    I wouldn't chip my kid.  I think doing so would destroy any chance of ever developing a sense of trust in them or their own sense of personal responsibility. 
    Just don't tell them. They're not going to know the difference when they're little, and the only reason you would ever use it is because they disappeared. That's why I'm saying they need to be removed at a young age. So that parents don't use them to track their movements. But that is a moot point when they are young, since kids don't go wandering around alone anymore. I'm just saying they would be a good device for when they're little in case of kidnappings or if they get lost. I'm not even suggesting the parents should necessarily be able to track them themselves. Perhaps only the authorities could track it when the kid is reported missing or something. I would never suggest that such a thing be used in a way that restricts freedom.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I won't even put a chip in my dog. I understand why people do, but it's not for me. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I won't even put a chip in my dog. I understand why people do, but it's not for me. 
    Why in the world wouldn't you put a chip in your dog??? That is how vets and the SPCA can easily find the owners of lost dogs. They're fantastic. :confused:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Just don't tell them. They're not going to know the difference when they're little, and the only reason you would ever use it is because they disappeared. That's why I'm saying they need to be removed at a young age. So that parents don't use them to track their movements. But that is a moot point when they are young, since kids don't go wandering around alone anymore. I'm just saying they would be a good device for when they're little in case of kidnappings or if they get lost. I'm not even suggesting the parents should necessarily be able to track them themselves. Perhaps only the authorities could track it when the kid is reported missing or something. I would never suggest that such a thing be used in a way that restricts freedom.
    Don't tell them?  So at 13 or so, just lay it on them that you've kept from them the fact they've had a device in them for years?  That'd blow my parental trust big time.  Probably fatten some therapists' wallets too.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Why in the world wouldn't you put a chip in your dog??? That is how vets and the SPCA can easily find the owners of lost dogs. They're fantastic. :confused:
    I agree. Not having a chip can be a death sentence for a dog. Gods forbid your poor, furry friend ends up in a high kill shelter with no way to identify it or locate you. Chips are cheap insurance for getting your dog back in the event it gets loose and runs away. A collar with identification tags is a good method, but if the dog slips the collar, or if you forget to put the collar on in the morning and the dog bolts, the collar and tags are worthless. But the chip is always there, and every vet and most groomers have scanners that can instantly identify the dog and its owner within seconds. I think it is irresponsible not to chip a dog. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Don't tell them?  So at 13 or so, just lay it on them that you've kept from them the fact they've had a device in them for years?  That'd blow my parental trust big time.  Probably fatten some therapists' wallets too.
    Parents could deal with it any time they like. Tell them, don't, whatever. But I simply don't think that have a GPS chip that can't even be used unless the kid goes missing would destroy trust or put the kid into therapy. That's pretty dramatic.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Parents could deal with it any time they like. Tell them, don't, whatever. But I simply don't think that have a GPS chip that can't even be used unless the kid goes missing would destroy trust or put the kid into therapy. That's pretty dramatic.
    Maybe I'm dramatic then?  All I know is it'd fuck with me at that age.  And who knows what the parameters would be when "used".
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Maybe I'm dramatic then?  All I know is it'd fuck with me at that age.  And who knows what the parameters would be when "used".
    Parameters would be important. That's why I mentioned that laws would have to be applied and that there would indeed be real rules about when it's used.... I dunno, I just figure that any parents whose kid disappeared would probably think this is a great idea. Especially for those whose kid ended up raped, murdered, or just never came back.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Parameters would be important. That's why I mentioned that laws would have to be applied and that there would indeed be real rules about when it's used.... I dunno, I just figure that any parents whose kid disappeared would probably think this is a great idea. Especially for those whose kid ended up raped, murdered, or just never came back.
    Those would be some great uses. I actually can't believe it hasn't happened yet. It doesn't have to be mandatory, but an option for parents of the child if they are a victim of a crime or missing. I think it should be the parent's decision up until they are 18 or if there was an assigned guardian (vulnerable adults, etc.). Think of all the money saved on search and rescue and criminal investigations.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    Just get your kid a watch or something that has gps tracking. Tell him when he's 5 so you're being honest, so if he doesn't get home in time you can see if he's ok. Or she, for that matter. Lying sucks. 
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    For me it really boils down to not living my life in fear that the worst is always going to happen and doing something I'm not cool with because someone wants to sell me something. I have had roughly ten dogs through the course of my life and never chipped any of them and never will. All of the same reasons I wouldn't chip a kid. Don't see much difference. 
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    For me it really boils down to not living my life in fear that the worst is always going to happen and doing something I'm not cool with because someone wants to sell me something. I have had roughly ten dogs through the course of my life and never chipped any of them and never will. All of the same reasons I wouldn't chip a kid. Don't see much difference. 
    One big difference for me, and perhaps it is just where I live, but when a lost child is found, they aren't usually taken to a high kill shelter. The other difference is that kids are typically able to reason to some degree and are being taught to handle increasing amounts of freedom and responsibility as they age. Dogs not so much.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Those would be some great uses. I actually can't believe it hasn't happened yet. It doesn't have to be mandatory, but an option for parents of the child if they are a victim of a crime or missing. I think it should be the parent's decision up until they are 18 or if there was an assigned guardian (vulnerable adults, etc.). Think of all the money saved on search and rescue and criminal investigations.
    For sure (and FTR, it never even occurred to me that such a thing might be mandatory! As soon as anyone suggests that, I will be on the front lines of opposing it!).
  • Options
    riley540 said:
    Just get your kid a watch or something that has gps tracking. Tell him when he's 5 so you're being honest, so if he doesn't get home in time you can see if he's ok. Or she, for that matter. Lying sucks. 
    Those already exist, but they are far from fool proof. Kids can lose those, or they break, and they are unpleasant to wear all the time anyhow. I mean, parents can also track their kid's phones, but that doesn't work if the person who snatches them discards the phone, or if the kid drowns or something. A GPS chip used only for tracking missing children is the only way to be sure you're covered in a such an event.
    I don't like lying either, but come on, parents don't tell their kids shit all the time in order to protect them. However, if what I suggested - only using it when authorities tap into it when kids go missing - would not necessitate lying. I bet plenty of parents lie to their kids about how often they are actually tracking their phone locations though!
  • Options
    The quote feature is garbage on here so @jeffbr

There are a million different bad things that can happen to anyone's animal or kid. I choose to carry a mindset that doesn't always worry about the worst that can happen. I feel that as long as I am a responsible dog owner(and I am despite your opinion), I should always know where my animal is at. The same as if it was a child. I take this shit seriously and my animals are always highly trained and secured and if something were to happen where she was lost, you bet your ass I'd be in contact with every shelter within a hundred miles and they would have her photo. To say someone is irresponsible for not microchipping another living thing that doesn't have a choice is a little silly to me. Like I stated it in my first post I understand why people do it, but it's not for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I think it's quite a mistake to believe that your kid can't disappear just because you're a responsible parent. I am not saying anyone should be paranoid - on the contrary. I think parents are way too paranoid these days, since they won't let their kids out of the sight of adults anymore, and that's a shame. But basic safeguards ... why not?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think it's quite a mistake to believe that your kid can't disappear just because you're a responsible parent. I am not saying anyone should be paranoid - on the contrary. I think parents are way too paranoid these days, since they won't let their kids out of the sight of adults anymore, and that's a shame. But basic safeguards ... why not?
    That isn't what I said. I said I SHOULD always know where my animal is. Same as a child. That minimizes risk. I understand things happen beyond our control. Chips are just not for me. It's interesting that if I said I wasn't going to chip my kid I likely wouldn't be referred to as irresponsible. Are we saying dogs are more important?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    That isn't what I said. I said I SHOULD always know where my animal is. Same as a child. That minimizes risk. I understand things happen beyond our control. Chips are just not for me. It's interesting that if I said I wasn't going to chip my kid I likely wouldn't be referred to as irresponsible. Are we saying dogs are more important?
    Very different dynamics. People don't often worry about the privacy rights of a dog, so it makes little sense to most not to have them chipped. There's already significant concerns about how much we are being watched and monitored and as the superior being among the living, we believe that we should be in control of our own bodies and lives. Which in turn means that we also think we are the experts on what should be done with every other living species.

I can't say I love the idea of chipping kids or all people for that matter, but I think there is going to come a time where it won't matter much anyway because we can already be tracked in numerous ways; phones, cars, watches, cameras, satellites, drones, computers, etc. There is pretty much a database containing most of your activities on a daily basis unless you live off the grid. So does a chip for GPS purposes really make that much of a difference? As we continue to advance technology, the tracking of our movements will only increase. How many times a day right now could someone be abusing their access privilege and accessing information on you? It's innumerable! And if we're really concerned about the government taking advantage of it, then to me it's a matter of if not this way than what other way.

I feel like a GPS chip could also be something that could exonerate you much like DNA if there was a crime. It took us decades to finally make seatbelts and car seats mandatory because of the excess loss of life and costs, so why not do the same with a technology that could do the same thing in the criminal side. At some point, we as a society are going to have to decide how much is too much?

• Options
    edited July 2017
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Very different dynamics. People don't often worry about the privacy rights of a dog, so it makes little sense to most not to have them chipped. There's already significant concerns about how much we are being watched and monitored and as the superior being among the living, we believe that we should be in control of our own bodies and lives. Which in turn means that we also think we are the experts on what should be done with every other living species.

I can't say I love the idea of chipping kids or all people for that matter, but I think there is going to come a time where it won't matter much anyway because we can already be tracked in numerous ways; phones, cars, watches, cameras, satellites, drones, computers, etc. There is pretty much a database containing most of your activities on a daily basis unless you live off the grid. So does a chip for GPS purposes really make that much of a difference? As we continue to advance technology, the tracking of our movements will only increase. How many times a day right now could someone be abusing their access privilege and accessing information on you? It's innumerable! And if we're really concerned about the government taking advantage of it, then to me it's a matter of if not this way than what other way.

I feel like a GPS chip could also be something that could exonerate you much like DNA if there was a crime. It took us decades to finally make seatbelts and car seats mandatory because of the excess loss of life and costs, so why not do the same with a technology that could do the same thing in the criminal side. At some point, we as a society are going to have to decide how much is too much?

Some good points in here. I will say that it's our info attached to the chip in an animal. I will also put on a paranoid hat for a second and say that until there is decades of data that these implants are risk free, I'm not on board. I believe these are being developed by big pharma yeah? I'm more scared of them than the risk of losing my  dog. There have been rare cases of the chips shifting in animals and causing problems or even death, as well as cancer in lab animals at the chip site. As small as the occurrences are, they are only the reported ones linked to the chip. The way things are just pushed through these days and recalled a few years later would make me more nervous than anything. So if I was going to choose to be afraid of one vs the other I would lean in the direction of skepticism toward the chips themselves.
    Post edited by WhatYouTaughtMe on
  • Options
    I don't mean to be smug in saying this but I really and truly and honestly feel lucky to be old enough to have grown up in a way that has been more natural and less run by electronics.  When I was a kid, we sneaked off and played in the creek near my house or broke into the greenhouses at the end of the block to  look for frogs and maybe pick a sunflower or two.  When I was old enough to get out on my own I had a key for my apartment and one for my car (which only ran about half the time anyway), my billfold that had a social security card and a driver's license and what ever few dollars and change I had.  No cell phone, no credit card (what was a credit card?) maybe a checkbook (whcih hardly had any money in it anyway).  If I ran out of smokes, I bummed one.  If I ran out of change for the bus I either hitched a ride, hung on to the back of the street car until I got booted off, jumped on through the rear door or walked.  When I became a bit more mature, I still had no cell phone and didn't need one because pay phones were everywhere.  Those were good times.

Now we have all this shit to keep track of, more expenses for communications than ever, more "need" to know every fucking thing going on all the time (yes, I'm here on the internet too so I'm guilty of that), all this surveillance, all these gadgets, all these microwaves doing god knows what to life on planet earth, and a new gadget every other month. 

When this all breaks down (and it will) we will suffer for a time but eventually will be better off, happier (depression is rampant in the age of electronics) and stronger and more skilled again. It will be good times again!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    I'm not quite as old as you Brian(who is? :lol: ), but I grew up without many of these things. I intentionally left my phone at home for a week earlier this month while on vacation and I have to tell you, it was the least stressful week I can remember in years. Of course I was on vacation, but after a day of reaching for my phone it was incredible how quickly I got used to not having it. Very liberating. I recommend it to anyone.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Speaking as a parent of a teenager who is almost an adult, I would categorically never support putting a tracking chip in my child. The tiny risk of abduction is far outweighed by the loss of privacy and ability to develop and mature without constant adult intervention. The odds that parents would have a chip implanted for which they could not access information seem tiny to me - that's exactly what the bulk of modern parents want, to monitor to a suffocating degree. And the idea that the some other nebulous agency - the government? big business? unknown other parties who hack in? - could also monitor my child is even worse. 

As Hedo says, to do this without telling your child would be incredibly damaging to trust, but even doing it with their knowledge would have a damaging impact on development. Mommy is always watching - always. How does that feel??
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I've considered posting an opinion on this subject but since being in jail while doing so would most definitely get me banned.  
  • Options
    I'm not quite as old as you Brian(who is? :lol: ), but I grew up without many of these things. I intentionally left my phone at home for a week earlier this month while on vacation and I have to tell you, it was the least stressful week I can remember in years. Of course I was on vacation, but after a day of reaching for my phone it was incredible how quickly I got used to not having it. Very liberating. I recommend it to anyone.
    Good one, WYTM!  :lol:

It's a great idea to leave the devices on the dresser once in a while!   My wife says I take that to the extreme because I rarely have one on me.

I think a lot of these modern devices are super handy but it's just too easy to rely on them and not on our own skills.  This is causing us to lose certain abilities- even simple things like doing simple math in one's head or even on paper, hand writing, problem solving, performing basic skills, etc., etc.  We are becoming a very weak species.

• Options
    I've considered posting an opinion on this subject but since being in jail while doing so would most definitely get me banned.  
    Wow!  Where I live, no one is allowed internet access while in jail! You Canadians are quite the liberal bunch!

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Wow!  Where I live, no one is allowed internet access while in jail! You Canadians are quite the liberal bunch!
    Ten Club jail is pretty cushy :wink:
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:
    Ten Club jail is pretty cushy :wink:
    I hear it's got a lounge and everything!  :lol:

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    I guess if I was 007 It could come handy ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    brianlux said:
    I don't mean to be smug in saying this but I really and truly and honestly feel lucky to be old enough to have grown up in a way that has been more natural and less run by electronics.  When I was a kid, we sneaked off and played in the creek near my house or broke into the greenhouses at the end of the block to  look for frogs and maybe pick a sunflower or two.  When I was old enough to get out on my own I had a key for my apartment and one for my car (which only ran about half the time anyway), my billfold that had a social security card and a driver's license and what ever few dollars and change I had.  No cell phone, no credit card (what was a credit card?) maybe a checkbook (whcih hardly had any money in it anyway).  If I ran out of smokes, I bummed one.  If I ran out of change for the bus I either hitched a ride, hung on to the back of the street car until I got booted off, jumped on through the rear door or walked.  When I became a bit more mature, I still had no cell phone and didn't need one because pay phones were everywhere.  Those were good times.

Now we have all this shit to keep track of, more expenses for communications than ever, more "need" to know every fucking thing going on all the time (yes, I'm here on the internet too so I'm guilty of that), all this surveillance, all these gadgets, all these microwaves doing god knows what to life on planet earth, and a new gadget every other month. 

When this all breaks down (and it will) we will suffer for a time but eventually will be better off, happier (depression is rampant in the age of electronics) and stronger and more skilled again. It will be good times again!
    I am glad I won't be around (or will be really old) when technological truly takes over.  The world sucks more and more every day.