The Pizza Thread

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    No favorite big chains, but I liked a local chain in my hometown area called Rico's. I think they had about four or five locations.

And I have nice memories of my little league team going out to Pizza Hut after games. I don't, however, have fond memories of the products that establishment serves.

I've never been drunk enough to willingly order anything from Domino's. You're better off just eating the damn box.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    So what are some people opinion of pizza chains?  Any favourites?
    Rosatis. I think this is more local to Chicago but still a pretty big chain around here. It’s damn good for a chain! 

mcgruff10 said:
    Dominos with bacon when I m drunk is fantastic!!
    I had dominos a few weeks ago at a party for my daughters gymnastics team. I have to say they’ve stepped up their game a bit. The crust was really f’n good.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like Domino’s as well, I think I like that no matter where you are, if your hungry for a pizza, Domino’s is usually nearby...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    bbiggs said:
    Rosatis. I think this is more local to Chicago but still a pretty big chain around here. It’s damn good for a chain! 
    I’ll be sure to check out the next time I’m in Chicago.  Thanks.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    I haven’t had it in a long time but I remember Pizza Hut being really good.  Actually the last time I had was in Great falls, Montana in 2007.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    I like Domino’s as well, I think I like that no matter where you are, if your hungry for a pizza, Domino’s is usually nearby...
    I remember the ads about Domino's improving their product, but I still wouldn't try it. I have scruples.

We have Bertucci's here in the Boston area. The one near my apartment in grad school would add an entire bag of rolls to our order gratis. The pizza was passable, but the people working at that location were sweethearts and really took care of me and all of my roomates (anywhere from five to eight dudes in a four-bedroom apartment).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I remember the ads about Domino's improving their product, but I still wouldn't try it. I have scruples.

We have Bertucci's here in the Boston area. The one near my apartment in grad school would add an entire bag of rolls to our order gratis. The pizza was passable, but the people working at that location were sweethearts and really took care of me and all of my roomates (anywhere from five to eight dudes in a four-bedroom apartment).
    Does Boston have a cheap local beer like natty bo in Baltimore?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Ain't nothing cheap in Boston. Way more expensive than NYC. Keeps out the undesirables, you know.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Pizza Hut is terrible now.  The crust on the pan pizza is never done and always just results in a droopy slice of pizza where the cheese and toppings fall off the end.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Rubbing Alcohol
    Oh wait, that is Lowell
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    Pizza Hut is terrible now.  The crust on the pan pizza is never done and always just results in a droopy slice of pizza where the cheese and toppings fall off the end.
    Pan pizza from Pizza Hut is by far my favorite of the chain pizzas. I get various results in quality depending on which one I go to, but the one about 20 minutes from my house, which only offers carry out/delivery is significantly and consistently better than the other 2 places near me that have seating areas. Perhaps it has something to do with that?
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    If I had to pick a chain, it would definitely be Jet's Pizza.  The burn cheese crust is pretty damn good.

Used to eat Papa John's all the time in college when we were wasted, but that shit is just gross now.
    RiotZact said:
    Pan pizza from Pizza Hut is by far my favorite of the chain pizzas. I get various results in quality depending on which one I go to, but the one about 20 minutes from my house, which only offers carry out/delivery is significantly and consistently better than the other 2 places near me that have seating areas. Perhaps it has something to do with that?
    We only have ones with seating in my area and they all have sucky, unfinished, droopy pizza. Consistently.

But I agree, a properly cooked Pizza Hut pan pizza is tough to beat.  I used to love going there as a kid, dining in, and they'd actually bring the cast iron pan to your table and cut slices and serve you.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Only time in the last 15 years I have had any pizza from a chain was a delivery made to our hotel after my buddy was married a handful of years ago in NorCal.  They brought 15 pies from Dominos and that stuff was incredible.  Some of the most enjoyable pizza I ate over that time.  He had rented out the bar in the hotel until 2 AM and it was probably 1 when the pizza got there.

Suffice it to say that we were drunk as hell and devoured that pizza very quickly.  I think I had 3 pieces and they were gone.

Was it actually any good?

Who knows -- I loved it at the time.  Didn't care.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • I'm with many of the others vouching for Pizza Hut as the tastiest of the chain variety pizza joints.

I'm a big fan of the pan crust Supreme (and dining in seems to taste much better than delivery for some reason?).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    RiotZact said:
    We only have ones with seating in my area and they all have sucky, unfinished, droopy pizza. Consistently.

But I agree, a properly cooked Pizza Hut pan pizza is tough to beat.  I used to love going there as a kid, dining in, and they'd actually bring the cast iron pan to your table and cut slices and serve you.
    Same here. We used to go for something called “Book It” I think, which was a program through the school district that tracked the number of books kids were reading. When you got enough gold stars to fill up the Book It tracker, you got a free pan pizza at Pizza Hut. Good memories and I remember loving the pepperoni pan pizza. 
    Not really a fan of any of the major chains.  I'll order Papa Johns occasionally ONLY because I almost daily have a 50% off code and I can order and have it delivered to my house without speaking to another human.

Pizza Hut - used to be my favorite until they started baking all their pizzas at 275F/135C for 8 minutes.
    Papa Johns - only buy it bc it's cheap and convenient.  Papa John can go fuck himself otherwise.
    Dominos - why the hell does the bottom of the crust look and feel like an english muffin?
    Little Caesars - if you have $5 and you're drunk, go for it.
    CiCi's - wtf?
    California Pizza Kitchen - decent but overpriced
    Sbarro - Please don't judge all New York style pizza based on us!
    Uno - Please don't judge all Chicago style pizza based on us!

^Sbarro is some good shit! Or at least it was in the food court at the mall in the 90’s lol 
    I really don’t have anything against pizza chains, but honestly, with the exception of Pizza Hut pan (if done right) I think I’d rather have a Red Barron frozen pizza over all of them. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    RiotZact said:
    I really don’t have anything against pizza chains, but honestly, with the exception of Pizza Hut pan (if done right) I think I’d rather have a Red Barron frozen pizza over all of them. 
    I've got Megabite Pizza here, it's a chain, and it is GREAT (I don't like Pizza Hut btw - weird greasy crust and the toppings are all chopped weird and the cheese is never quite right). However, only some of the franchises are good. I tried a new one not long ago, and it was garbage. I'll just stick to the ones who do it right.
    But there are a few good frozen pizzas out there. I like to keep a few in my freezer at all times for drunken late night snacks, lol. Dr. Oetker is always great. Ultrathin crust by McCains are really good too (I think Dr. Oetker might have actually bought that out recently). Amy's frozen pizza is also not bad, kind of marketed towards healthier people though, lol. Like gluten free and all that shit.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    RiotZact said:
    I've got Megabite Pizza here, it's a chain, and it is GREAT (I don't like Pizza Hut btw - weird greasy crust and the toppings are all chopped weird and the cheese is never quite right). However, only some of the franchises are good. I tried a new one not long ago, and it was garbage. I'll just stick to the ones who do it right.
    But there are a few good frozen pizzas out there. I like to keep a few in my freezer at all times for drunken late night snacks, lol. Dr. Oetker is always great. Ultrathin crust by McCains are really good too (I think Dr. Oetker might have actually bought that out recently). Amy's frozen pizza is also not bad, kind of marketed towards healthier people though, lol. Like gluten free and all that shit.
    Don’t think I’ve tried any of those you mentioned, might have to keep an eye out next time I’m at the grocery store. 
    Jacks for frozen. It’s cardboard but it’s good cardboard. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    dankind said:
    As many of you may recall, I have griped quite often about the awful pizza in Boston, but @Ninetytworules is on point about Santarpio’s. Great pies out that way.

I would also give my nod to the original Pizzeria Regina in the North End for a good (not great) sit-down pie with pitchers. In fact, that one might be the out-of-towners’ best option, since they wouldn’t have to go to Eastie. Both places will have a line. Don’t bother getting a slice from anywhere. The slice shops exist solely to sustain drunk college kids, and the fare is often just as much of a sloppy mess as the clientele. 

Craft pizza is a thing here, though, since the area can’t pull off the real thing. Some of those places are pretty decent, but I don’t really count what they serve as real pizza.

hating on the sloppy mess clientele :nuh_uh:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    PJ_Soul said:
    RiotZact said:
    Dr. Oetker is what I posted a couple pages back.  Shit was good!  I pretty much only buy their brand any more.
  • kce8kce8 Posts: 1,636
    Dr. Oetker is the best frozen pizza for sure! I mean hey it's German :smiley: 
    Seriously I'm happy you all like it. 

Talking about Pizza Hut. 
    When I was in Texas in 1995 we went to Pizza Hut and it was amazing. I even had no idea there would be pizza with cheese inside the crust exist at all. And to be honest I never saw Pizza that thick before. Very cool. 
    So we ordered Pizza and then got these sticks filled with cheese as an appetizer. We even didn't know we would get it, so if I remember right the sticks were for free. What also was completely new for me was the fact that we got coke and water for free too. Well it was my first time in America and I was pretty young then... I had no clue about all that stuff ;)
    Anyways, I remember that these sticks and the Pizza was so good I just loved it.
    A few years later you could find Pizza Hut in the bigger Citys in Germany so I told my friends how good it would be. And then it was horrible, don't know why but everything was oily and soft. I think I never tried Pizza Hut again. 
    But now I'm sure I would try again if I had another chance to return to the States. :) 
    PJ_Soul said:
    RiotZact said:
    Dr. Oetker is what I posted a couple pages back.  Shit was good!  I pretty much only buy their brand any more.
    Yeah, me too! It's the only brand I will buy, and when I have it, I am specifically thinking, "Yum! This is so fucking good!"
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    So we've moved onto frozen pizzas?

How about DiGiornio?

Also, we've got Cape Cod Cafe pizzas in the frozen food aisles here, and those are good for the oven or the grill.

I also have certain weakness for Stouffer's French bread pizzas.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited March 2018
    Frozen pizza must be discussed! DiGiorno is the American version of Delissio in Canada I believe... Delissio/DiGiorno is fucking terrible IMO. That crust is just awful. Even the thin crust kind are pretty yuck and flavourless, and the entire pizza just dries out when you cook it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    dankind said:
    So we've moved onto frozen pizzas?

How about DiGiornio?

Also, we've got Cape Cod Cafe pizzas in the frozen food aisles here, and those are good for the oven or the grill.

I also have certain weakness for Stouffer's French bread pizzas.
    I’ve gotten my hopes up for several of diGiornio’s pizzas, only to be disappointed.

Never had Stouffer’s but I do like those frozen French bread pizzas, don’t think I’ve ever had a bad one.