Poll--The Weakest Link: Best of the Weakest, Round 1

2»

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Stupid Mop
    mcgruff10 said:
    I never realized the level of hate for johnny guitar lol
    I get it lol
    It's the only studio album PJ song (that's actually a legit song) that I don't like!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,403
    Stupid Mop
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pretty atrocious lyrics on that one for me. First time I heard it I had to double check that I was listening to a PJ cd. But, that's about half of Backspacer for ya! I loved the first 3 songs, then it gets sporadic. I suppose that album is to me what Riot Act to most other people? 
    Yeah I hate riot act.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    Sleeping By Myself
    mcgruff10 said:
    me neither. I don't mind it at all. 
    Ditto.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    Red Dot
    To each his/her own but I can't believe that three individuals have already voted for Deep!?!?!?!!
  • Sleeping By Myself
    rummy said:
    To each his/her own but I can't believe that three individuals have already voted for Deep!?!?!?!!
    ridiculous. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921
    Stupid Mop
    I was wondering what was going to happen next with these polls! Props OP, you've put a lot of work into this! 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Johnny Guitar
    I'm surprised to see Arc here representing Riot Act. It's nontraditional for sure but I think it's beautiful, too.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Red Dot
    rummy said:
    ridiculous. 
    I know! I truly don't want to shit on anyone here but I am very surprised by the results. I guess I just find it extremely odd that a Pearl Jam fan (a band with a certain style of music, a rock sound which is apparent in so many of their songs, including Deep) to prefer Stupid Mop, I'm Open, AND Red Dot to Deep? I can even (sort of) accept the preference of Johnny Guitar or Evacuation but Deep is nowhere near the bottom of this entire list (nor is Glorified G).

Again, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and I'm not trying to make enemies here but I'm just ...well, surprised.
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,732
    Evacuation
    rummy said:
    rummy said:
    ridiculous. 
    I know! I truly don't want to shit on anyone here but I am very surprised by the results. I guess I just find it extremely odd that a Pearl Jam fan (a band with a certain style of music, a rock sound which is apparent in so many of their songs, including Deep) to prefer Stupid Mop, I'm Open, AND Red Dot to Deep? I can even (sort of) accept the preference of Johnny Guitar or Evacuation but Deep is nowhere near the bottom of this entire list (nor is Glorified G).

Again, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and I'm not trying to make enemies here but I'm just ...well, surprised.
    To me it's just cool that we all hear things differently just like we all taste food differently.  It's part of what makes us diverse.  If we were all the same it would just be endless boring duplication.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Red Dot
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    rummy said:
    ridiculous. 

To me it's just cool that we all hear things differently just like we all taste food differently.  It's part of what makes us diverse.  If we were all the same it would just be endless boring duplication.
    Agree, totally. That's why I like doing these polls. As some may notice, I don't really comment a lot about my picks or others... but I love reading others thoughts on songs and albums. Gives me a great perspective into who a Pearl Jam fan is
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    Stupid Mop
    rummy said:
    rummy said:
    ridiculous. 

Some people like to be different.   These are the people that think you have to be like Fugazi to be good.  You can't be popular.  They are the people that loved John Mayer until he blew up on the radio and in an instant was a sellout and sucked. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    Johnny Guitar
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh wow. I think Foxymop is better than several of the other choices. As usual, few like that song as much as I do, lol. I don't think i really understand the popular aversion to foxymop.
    It is a stretch to even call it a song.  
    How many parties have died in an instant when that comes on the stereo?  I know I have had a few where I wasn't quick enough on the DJ skills and creepy little ghost girl kills the mood.
    It's artistic, sure, but they took the wrong page out of the Beatles' book with this one.
    It's a smudge on an otherwise stellar album and I know I'm not the only person who has burned a copy of Vitalogy just to leave it off.
    Nope, I'm just not picking up what you're putting down here, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited June 2017
    Red Dot
    brianlux said:
    rummy said:
    rummy said:
    ridiculous. 

I completely understand what you are saying and agree! I like to think of myself as a very accepting person and am surprised I wrote what I did. I just think it is strange that Deep (a song that very much represents what PJ stands for in terms of music and lyrics) would be at the bottom of the pile for these songs. To me it's a song that would make one a Pearl Jam fan in the first place. 

I'll leave at this - there's really no sense in arguing about opinions (although I suppose there's also no sense in arguing about facts!)
    Post edited by rummy on
  • washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    Johnny Guitar
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pretty atrocious lyrics on that one for me. First time I heard it I had to double check that I was listening to a PJ cd. But, that's about half of Backspacer for ya! I loved the first 3 songs, then it gets sporadic. I suppose that album is to me what Riot Act to most other people? 
    this guy gets it! :clap:
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    edited June 2017
    Johnny Guitar
    rummy said:
    rummy said:
    ridiculous. 

Some people like to be different.   These are the people that think you have to be like Fugazi to be good.  You can't be popular.  They are the people that loved John Mayer until he blew up on the radio and in an instant was a sellout and sucked. 
    I'm thinking maybe 3 people just thought they were supposed to be choosing the strongest song instead of the weakest. :)

..... Totally hear you on the hipster attitude towards music though bootlegger10. Annoying!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited June 2017
    Red Dot
    PJ_Soul said:
    rummy said:
    rummy said:
    ridiculous. 

I'm thinking maybe 3 people just thought they were supposed to be choosing the strongest song instead of the weakest. :)
    I too thought that might be the case.

Maybe we should be trying to figure out the "worst" PJ track off an official album - although that might be the one that gets the most votes this round!
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,549
    Stupid Mop
    she doesnt like the view for the win!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Red Dot
    This poll has closed.
    Stupid Mop wins for the Weakest Song in the Pearl Jam discography with 63 votes. Red Dot comes in a distant 2nd with 19 votes.
    Stupid Mop and Red Dot have both been eliminated.
This discussion has been closed.