Options

How old is too young?

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    pjhawks said:
    pistol3 said:
    Enough with the judging. If you don't have a kid, you have no frame of reference, so your opinion is irrelevant. IMO, it depends on your kid and if they want to go and can handle it. We took our 6 year old to U2. She loved it. Didn't whine at all. Was tired at the end, but never complained. We were in GA, people were awesome to her. Don't know if we'll take her to PJ or not. But, it sure won't be because of the non-parents' opinion, can guarantee that.
    this is such a dumb argument.  I guess I shouldn't judge politics because i'm not a politician. or music because I'm not a musician either?  that argument is as dumb as someone believing taking a 5 year old to a rock concert is a good idea :confounded: (we need a smacking my head emoji).  gen x and y are too busy being friends with their kids than actual parents..IMHO.

Let's also not overlook the fact the OP actually solicited feedback from the forum.

That's the whole point of the thread.

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    is this thread about tambourines? i thought it was
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    pjhawks said:
    pistol3 said:
    Enough with the judging. If you don't have a kid, you have no frame of reference, so your opinion is irrelevant. IMO, it depends on your kid and if they want to go and can handle it. We took our 6 year old to U2. She loved it. Didn't whine at all. Was tired at the end, but never complained. We were in GA, people were awesome to her. Don't know if we'll take her to PJ or not. But, it sure won't be because of the non-parents' opinion, can guarantee that.
    this is such a dumb argument.  I guess I shouldn't judge politics because i'm not a politician. or music because I'm not a musician either?  that argument is as dumb as someone believing taking a 5 year old to a rock concert is a good idea :confounded: (we need a smacking my head emoji).  gen x and y are too busy being friends with their kids than actual parents..IMHO.
    being friends? it's called experiencing things you love with your kids and exposing them to those things. if it sticks, great, if not, that's fine too. 
    there are a lot of lousy "friend" parents out there, and not all are gen x and y. I saw a lot of that growing up as well. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Being a parent doesn't make you smarter or give you better judgement... 

I was not a big fan of seeing all the children on the Lightning Bolt tour... just being honest

If I had a kid, the absolute last place I would want to take them is a rock concert... the whole thing seems silly to me... I had ZERO interest in going to a Rolling Stones concert when I was a young kid... just like your kid has zero interest in seeing pearl jam... find an adult to take and go enjoy yourself for a night... or wait until they are older and more mature

We had a guy with his young son next to us at Philly 2 2016... the fucking kid hated every second of it... no ear protection from what I could see... the kid did not want to be there... and his father kept him there for the entire show... what I witnessed was nothing short of a totally selfish dick move on the part of the father... I spent half the show worried about the kid

Please don't drag your kids to the next PJ show, let yourself and the rest of us enjoy a night out as adults at a rock concert 
  • Options
    my2hands said:

I was not a big fan of seeing all the children on the Lightning Bolt tour... just being honest

If I had a kid, the absolute last place I would want to take them is a rock concert... the whole thing seems silly to me... I had ZERO interest in going to a Rolling Stones concert when I was a young kid... just like your kid has zero interest in seeing pearl jam... find an adult to take and go enjoy yourself for a night... or wait until they are older and more mature

We had a guy with his young son next to us at Philly 2 2016... the fucking kid hated every second of it... no ear protection from what I could see... the kid did not want to be there... and his father kept him there for the entire show... what I witnessed was nothing short of a totally selfish dick move on the part of the father... I spent half the show worried about the kid

Please don't drag your kids to the next PJ show, let yourself and the rest of us enjoy a night out as adults at a rock concert 
    no one said it makes you smarter. but having experience gives you a perspective that those without experience don't have. 

I took my 7 year old daughter to Weezer because she BEGGED me to go to a rock show. for 2 years. I wasn't sure if she just wanted to spend time with Daddy or actually go to a show. So when Weezer was announced, I thought it would be a decent opportunity to take her to a relatively PG show. I had her listen to the music for a while to make sure she actually liked it before buying the tickets. She loved it. She keeps telling all her friends about it when they come over; she shows them the signed poster I bought for her (us). 

I would wager very FEW people taking their kids to rock shows are doing it for themselves. If they are, then yes, they are doing it for the wrong reasons. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    my2hands said:

Well said and I (father of 4) 100% agree.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    my2hands said:

one instance does not make the majority. 

and as to your last comment, it's not about you. if a kid being at a show ruins the show for you, maybe you shouldn't be there. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JV130312JV130312 STATE OF LOVE & TRUST Posts: 2,413
    edited July 2017
    First you cut your age in half and then add 7 and that's how young you can date...

oh wait...

a 5-year old should be no where near a Pearl Jam concert.
    I Know All The Rules But The Rules Do Not Know Me.
  • Options
    DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,736
    my2hands said:

and as to your last comment, it's not about you. if a kid being at a show ruins the show for you, maybe you shouldn't be there. 
    I can't believe there's even a debate here. Rock concerts are NOT for young kids. With everything going on there (drinking, drugging, loud music, #EvenBros) it's not a good idea. And if it also inhibits others from having a good time - which is a completely valid concern - that's just one more reason to leave them at home.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • Options
    DeLukin said:
    my2hands said:

I can't believe there's even a debate here. Rock concerts are NOT for young kids. With everything going on there (drinking, drugging, loud music, #EvenBros) it's not a good idea. And if it also inhibits others from having a good time - which is a completely valid concern - that's just one more reason to leave them at home.
    how does my 7 year old inhibit your good time? unless you are one of the aforementioned even bros, or being just a general dick to those around you, it shouldn't. 

1) drinking-also happens at sporting events with a good portion of the audience being kids
    2) drugging-pretty rare since smoking is banned in all indoor venues, and if it happens, security is on top of it
    3) loud music - ear protection
    4) even bros-I would say even MORE of these douches are at sporting events. yet again, kids are ok there. 

I took my daughter to a football game once. exhibition at the beginning of the season. she was bored out of her mind so we left at half time. I knew the risk going in. Had my daughter hated weezer I would have done the same thing. you can be a responsible parent and still do fun things with them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited July 2017
    In this case I think it's the ones with kids not thinking completely clear. I think their vision might be blurred by wanting to go to PJ concert and share that with their young kid so bad that they turn "I like that song, Mommy." into what they wish they were hearing, "I want to go to a Pearl Jam concert so fucking much with you, Mommy." and then try to justify it with that.  

I dont have kids, but I have to agree having kids around me at a show is awkward with everyone around them gulping down their beers and cursing. 

I think it was Columbia? this past year where Ed had a tambo passed back to a girl that had been on her Dads shoulders in the back of the pit the whole night. She didn't seem like she was enjoying it all that much. She actually looked rather miserable until she had that thing in her hands to play with some. The plus side to all this: at least he stayed in the back of GA. 

I agree that festivals would be a good place to start.
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited July 2017

I took my daughter to a football game once. exhibition at the beginning of the season. she was bored out of her mind so we left at half time. I knew the risk going in. Had my daughter hated weezer I would have done the same thing. you can be a responsible parent and still do fun things with them. 
    Football is a tough one.  So much down time and you are typically so far away from the action.... which is very sporadic.  I tried to take my kid to a preseason game and it was the same experience.

I have a 4 and 2 year old, and no urge to take them to a PJ show for a long time... which will probably be ever.  I think something like Weezer would be good for a younger kid who likes music.  The McCartney post from before was a good idea.  

I have seen kids at legit 'loud' rock concerts and they almost always look out of place and fairly miserable up until maybe their early teen years.  Its long, loud, and kind of boring unless you know and are versed in the material.    It appears as though their parents have dragged them there. When I see the patented kid on the shoulders move in the pit when its tambo-time I cringe.  I know there are exceptions and certain 6 year olds are "big fans"... but I would say that is probably rare.

I bring my kid to NHL games.  When he was 3 he took off down the concourse and slipped and fell into a spilled beer.  He heard swear words.  I dont care though.  I remember when I was 8, I saw a Canadiens fan piss his sweat pants before flinging a beer on the crowd below.  I thought it was funny.    My kid is obsessed with hockey though.  
  • Options
    In this case I think it's the ones with kids not thinking completely clear. I think their vision might be blurred by wanting to go to PJ concert and share that with their young kid so bad that they turn "I like that song, Mommy." into what they wish they were hearing, "I want to go to a Pearl Jam concert so fucking much with you, Mommy." and then try to justify it with that.  

I dont have kids, but I have to agree having kids around me at a show is awkward with everyone around them gulping down their beers and cursing. 

I think it was Columbia? this past year where Ed had a tambo passed back to a girl that had been on her Dads shoulders in the back of the pit the whole night. She didn't seem like she was enjoying it all that much. She actually looked rather miserable until she had that thing in her hands to play with some. The plus side to all this: at least he stayed in the back of GA. 
    incorrect. at least in my case. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Saw a guy @ Wrigley '13 trying to convince his crying kid during the rain delay to stick it out a bit longer, the kid wanted to go home. (Couldn't have been older than 7) 

Thats bad parenting. I don't care if you think I'm judgemental, that's bad parenting, period. 

Personally I wouldn't bring a kid younger than 13 to a PJ show, but that's just me. Some kids younger than 13 can certainly handle it, but I would hope the parent is doing what's best for their kid & not indulging themselves so they can be the 'cool parent.' 

Just my (judgemental) $0.02.
  • Options
    Saw a guy @ Wrigley '13 trying to convince his crying kid during the rain delay to stick it out a bit longer, the kid wanted to go home. (Couldn't have been older than 7) 

Thats bad parenting. I don't care if you think I'm judgemental, that's bad parenting, period. 

Personally I wouldn't bring a kid younger than 13 to a PJ show, but that's just me. Some kids younger than 13 can certainly handle it, but I would hope the parent is doing what's best for their kid & not indulging themselves so they can be the 'cool parent.' 

Just my (judgemental) $0.02.
    I would agree. that's bad parenting. I would have left. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262

i knew it. this is about tambourines. 
    these people are the problem imo
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Well OP, you've heard a lot of perspectives.  What do you think?

Me, I'm glad people have their opinions.  And.... having done my own due diligence and checked in with doctors and knowing what my kid does and doesn't like and what environments she's fine in and which she's not fine in... no amount of generalizing or "It ruins it for those around you" (Seriously? A kid having a good time ruins your night?  Guess what, that's on you!)  is going to stop me from doing something that means a lot to me, that my kid enjoys, that isn't harming her in any way, and which if she doesn't want to go she doesn't go.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

Me, I'm glad people have their opinions.  And.... having done my own due diligence and checked in with doctors and knowing what my kid does and doesn't like and what environments she's fine in and which she's not fine in... no amount of generalizing or "It ruins it for those around you" (Seriously? A kid having a good time ruins your night?  Guess what, that's on you!)  is going to stop me from doing something that means a lot to me, that my kid enjoys, that isn't harming her in any way, and which if she doesn't want to go she doesn't go.
    :clap:
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    JH6056 said:

I'm curious for the parents here who have taken kids to PJ shows or other rock concerts, do you let your younger kids watch R-rated movies?  I would think that most wouldn't even consider letting a 5-10 year old watch an R-rated movie.  there isn't a whole heck of a difference (maybe some r-rated movies have more sexual themes and nudity but that's about it)  between an r-rated movie and a rock show.  
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    pjhawks said:
    JH6056 said:

I'm curious for the parents here who have taken kids to PJ shows or other rock concerts, do you let your younger kids watch R-rated movies?  I would think that most wouldn't even consider letting a 5-10 year old watch an R-rated movie.  there isn't a whole heck of a difference (maybe some r-rated movies have more sexual themes and nudity but that's about it)  between an r-rated movie and a rock show.  
    Ya Pearl Jam concerts and Saving Private Ryan have a lot in common. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    edited July 2017
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:
    JH6056 said:

I usually sit down with my five kids (13, 8, 8, 8, 3) and watch we were soldiers as Pearl Jam is playing in the background. 
    After the kids earn enough points we watch saving private ryan. 
    But usually every Friday night is R rated movie night in my household!
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    JH6056 said:

an r rated movie and a rock show are the same? what the fuck kind of rock shows are you going to? :lol:  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    JH6056 said:

If we had our young kid sit and watch an R-rated movie, all of their attention would be on that and that only.  So any cursing or violence, they'd see it all because it's a movie.  At a rock show, 1) I have never seen violence at the shows I take my kids to.  2) I've never seen nudity at shows I take my kids to.  and 3) I've occasionally heard cursing, but you know what?  Sporting events I've heard consistent cursing and namecalling, whereas at a rock show it's not even close to every show I hear someone cursing loudly.

Smoke is the only thing I've encountered at a rock show with kids that I have had to negotiate (move away from usually), but no one smokes in movie theaters anymore so that's the one thing you don't worry about in an R-rated movie.

So what exactly is it that happens in R-movies that you see regularly at rock shows?  And what city are you in?  Because I've seen rock shows all over the US (and taken my kid to shows in at least 8 states over time), and I just don't see the R-movie parallel at all.
  • Options
    I would give the average PJ show a PG rating.

Kids won't hear anything there that they haven't heard in the schoolyard, that's for sure. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,204
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:
    JH6056 said:

yes pick one of the most violent movies to make your point. there are plenty of r-rated movies that are similar to a PJ show with cursing, drunk and high people.  Just trying to get where the line is. So it's ok to take them to a show where Ed says fuck 20 times and the guy next to you is drunk but you wouldn't let them watch "TED" or "Office Space"?  makes sense.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:
    JH6056 said:

yes pick one of the most violent movies to make your point. there are plenty of r-rated movies that are similar to a PJ show with cursing, drunk and high people.  Just trying to get where the line is. So it's ok to take them to a show where Ed says fuck 20 times and the guy next to you is drunk but you wouldn't let them watch "TED" or "Office Space"?  makes sense.
    You don't have to like it pjhawks, but as someone who's seen more than 50 PJ shows (not including Ed solo or side projects), my actual real life experience of PJ shows overwhelmingly trumps your vague comparisons to R movies.  In some 56 PJ shows, I have never: 1) been trapped in my seat next to someone screaming obscenities for the whole show; or 2) heard Ed say "Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck this fucking song fuck fuck fuck" (yes, he curses, but not some extraordinary amount that is going to corrupt small children).  I have certainly seen/been bothered by drunk people, but not more than maybe 3 times to the point where I had to get security involved, and I did, and they didn't bother me anymore.  But guess what?  We also live in major city.  Guess what?  Kids where I live see drunk and high people on the subways, on the streets, at bus stops.... If you think a PJ concert is the 1st time I'll have to explain drunk or high people to my kids, you're absurdly out in La La Land.  People who can't control their behavior or are under the influence are a reality of life, and more so in cities.  A concert is probably the place where you can do the most about it the quickest if they're bothering you, since there is security and you're a paying customer.

So now my question to you pjhawks is this: If I searched (which I'm not going to do) through the threads on sports events here, are you equally outspoken about the inappropriateness of taking kids to those?  If not, why the - it's not even a double standard, it's actually hypocritical, because sports events have far FAR more cursing, drunk people way out of control, and actual violence (again going on what I've actually seen at games and in parking lots).  Are you equally outspoken here about that?  If not, why not?
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJNB said:
    pjhawks said:
    JH6056 said:

You don't have to like it pjhawks, but as someone who's seen more than 50 PJ shows (not including Ed solo or side projects), my actual real life experience of PJ shows overwhelmingly trumps your vague comparisons to R movies.  In some 56 PJ shows, I have never: 1) been trapped in my seat next to someone screaming obscenities for the whole show; or 2) heard Ed say "Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck this fucking song fuck fuck fuck" (yes, he curses, but not some extraordinary amount that is going to corrupt small children).  I have certainly seen/been bothered by drunk people, but not more than maybe 3 times to the point where I had to get security involved, and I did, and they didn't bother me anymore.  But guess what?  We also live in major city.  Guess what?  Kids where I live see drunk and high people on the subways, on the streets, at bus stops.... If you think a PJ concert is the 1st time I'll have to explain drunk or high people to my kids, you're absurdly out in La La Land.  People who can't control their behavior or are under the influence are a reality of life, and more so in cities.  A concert is probably the place where you can do the most about it the quickest if they're bothering you, since there is security and you're a paying customer.

So now my question to you pjhawks is this: If I searched (which I'm not going to do) through the threads on sports events here, are you equally outspoken about the inappropriateness of taking kids to those?  If not, why the - it's not even a double standard, it's actually hypocritical, because sports events have far FAR more cursing, drunk people way out of control, and actual violence (again going on what I've actually seen at games and in parking lots).  Are you equally outspoken here about that?  If not, why not?
    I'm still waiting on that same question in your last paragraph. nothing but crickets. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    edited July 2017
    80% of the shows my wife and I go to are at clubs/theaters with no admittance for anyone under 18/21 so bringing our kid to a show is just not happening anyways.  Plus, it's just nice to have night out without him in tow.  

As for bringing small kids (I personally feel 10-12 is a decent age), bring them with if you think it's a good idea.  If you are questioning whether or not to take them, error on caution and don't.  There's a reason you are having doubts.  And don't drag them along because you think it will make you cool.  As others have mentioned, I too have seen small kids (under 10) dragged along by their parents who are having a miserable time (Wrigley 2).  I have also seen small kids having a great time (KISS shows are a great example).  All depends on the kid, parent, parent's intention, and the show.  
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,955
    It's weird that it's taken 6 pages to conclude "use your best judgement and do what's best for the kid" is the best answer. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    It's weird that it's taken 6 pages to conclude "use your best judgement and do what's best for the kid" is the best answer. 
    lol true.  and if your kid is melting and wants to go...you leave.  don't be selfish.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
This discussion has been closed.