Options

Relive Europe 2000

This was suggested on the Porch by @NewJPage. If anyone has the time or wants to join in at any point, let's recap the first leg of the 2000 tour by listening to it all over again. Share your thought and highlights.

Viva la Pearl Jam!
It's a hopeless situation...

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    edited May 2017
    Lisbon 05/23/2000

Just finished up Lisbon. Definitely the first show of the tour feel. Ed flubs/forgets lyrics on a few songs. DTE in the 2 spot is solid and Red Mosquito at #4 is a great start to the show. Love Faithful any time it makes an appearance and this is a good one. Matt adds in some extra fills on a strong GTF before the 2nd verse that add some nice touches to the song. Last Kiss in the middle of the first set is strange to hear considering its encore slot these days. It also starts with just Ed and guitar, no drums, which is a nice change. Matt doesn't come in until the first chorus with the audience nicely adding clapping until then. Immortality is a disaster as Ed forgets the entire first verse :) A strong encore is followed by one of my favorite, and from what I recall best, Yellow Ledbetter performances. I forgot how great it sounded during the 2000 tour. 
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    You can hear how something is off with Matt's drums in Faithfull.  They try to fix it during Untitled, but he's still not ready, so Ed goes into Last Kiss to kill time.  So in the end you get the odd Untitled>Last Kiss>MFC combo.  It's a cool part of the show.
    I also like this version of Alive a lot.  They hit a peak with the closing jam, then slow it down, then come back in full force again.  It's a long version too.  Cool start to the tour
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    NewJPage said:
    You can hear how something is off with Matt's drums in Faithfull.  They try to fix it during Untitled, but he's still not ready, so Ed goes into Last Kiss to kill time.  So in the end you get the odd Untitled>Last Kiss>MFC combo.  It's a cool part of the show.
    I also like this version of Alive a lot.  They hit a peak with the closing jam, then slow it down, then come back in full force again.  It's a long version too.  Cool start to the tour
    Good call on Faithful. I listened to it a few days ago and remember noticing that. Ed made a comment about Matt's carburetor going out or something :lol: Agree, Alive sounds great and loved the extended version.
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    Barcelona:
    Love the Daughter tag. Remember when these were spontaneous and not WMA or Another Brick every night?  Funky and spacey version
    Betterman with Ed singing the first verse.  Also something we do not get anymore.  Tight version, short and sweet.  No tag
    Ed's story about short 12 year old boys with giant 12 year old girlfirends after I Got Shit
    Go is ferocious with mad scientist guitar feedback at the end to close the first encore.
    Overall this show is a more direct, get business done and done well type of show than the first one. 
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Barcelona May 25, 2000

A beautiful Long Road to open into a blistering version of Breakerfall that has Ed really barking out the verses. Nice little guitar segue in to Corduroy at the end of Breakerfall and then a very loud crowd as the song starts. Great to see Hail, Hail in the set and a good version. Ed introduces Even Flow as a song called "I save cigarettes for a poor girl." He then can be heard saying, "That flag is mine" in the middle of the first verse. Mike completely kills the solo on Even Flow with some real funky guitar riffs before Matt brings it back. Minor lyric flub on Light Years. At the beginning of Insignificance, Ed is calling out the notes to the crowd, "That was a C, F, A..." Good version where Ed goes low on the "when I heard the band start playing" as opposed to his typical high. Always love the 2000 versions of Daughter. Jeff's bass is deep and prominent throughout. Nice funky beginning to the tag with Ed playing around with mic effects before going in to lyrics and ending with a little "it's ok." This leads to a great RVM in the 2nd half of the first set, which is unheard of with the recent tours. I Got ID makes a nice appearance, but is not one of the stronger performances of the song. Before Thin Air, Ed tells a story of some local kids he met and took pictures. He says that one of the girls was probably around 12 and that when she took a picture with her BF she had a cigarette :lol. He segues in to the song by talking about how much taller the girls were than the boys so they must be in Thin Air. Black is solid. Both Betterman and DTE are below the norm performances. Ed has a hard time with some of the notes on DTE near the end. Nice to see Grievance lead off the encore, but Ed's voice is strained in a lot of parts, similar to what happened with DTE. This early in the tour his voice is still getting stretched out it seems. More struggles on SoLaT for Ed. What started as a strong show seems to have really took it's toll by this point. Back on track for Wishlist and an extended repeat of "I wish" over and over at the end of the song. At the end of Small Town Ed explains why he missed a few lyrics on it because he was distracted thinking about how the mic he was touching with his mouth was the same one the opening band singer had on his "ass" and "penis" :lol: Last Kiss back in the appropriate encore slot and then YL to close. At the end of Last Kiss there's a bit of a break and some banter where Ed tells the crowd he'd like to "fuck" everyone :) He follows that up in YL by stating, "I think I'm in love" at the end of the 1st chorus. Just a short Mike solo at the end to close it out
  • Options
    NewJPage said:
    Barcelona:
    Love the Daughter tag. Remember when these were spontaneous and not WMA or Another Brick every night?  Funky and spacey version
    Betterman with Ed singing the first verse.  Also something we do not get anymore.  Tight version, short and sweet.  No tag
    Ed's story about short 12 year old boys with giant 12 year old girlfirends after I Got Shit
    Go is ferocious with mad scientist guitar feedback at the end to close the first encore.
    Overall this show is a more direct, get business done and done well type of show than the first one. 
    Posted mine before I saw yours, but definitely agree on the Daughter and Betterman. He just went with whatever he felt most of that tour. Noticed on Go that he seemed to really let it out in a few places. You could tell he was probably a bit frustrated his voice wasn't holding up throughout so he just growled out some of it.