Options

RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    wow this is incredible. whomever wrote this nailed it. i could not have collected and said better thoughts than what is said here.
  • Options
    gazgaz Posts: 233
    RIP Chris Cornell. Unbelievably shocking and sad...
    23/8/06.
    18/6/07.
    22/6/10.
    23/6/10.
    20/6/12
    21/6/12
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    The cynic in me can't understand why a guy I never met dying makes me so sad.

Dimitris facebook post sums it up the best.  Essentially as fans "they helped us live when nobody else had the time to.  Artists have inspired us in endless ways and have been with us through stages in our lives.  We've made memories with them so when they die, a part of us dies."   

Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I learned about it just now, before I came on here. This is so sad. I can hardly believe it.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    JH6056 said:
    everyone is assuming it was suicide. we don't know that yet. they are investigating it as one. but there are many possibilities. could have been accidental. who knows. we won't know until the medical examiner determines it. 
    While it's true no one knows until an official report, the combo of his family calling to have someone check on him and him being found with something around his neck make "accident" almost impossible.  Why would family be checking on him if they weren't worried?

No matter what, the end result is awful.  But in this case I understand those saying "probably suicide" given the other details released so far...
    vicky called for someone to check on him because he wasn't responding to her texts. she has said that he was not depressed, and showed ZERO signs of being suicidal. obviously, in times like these, it's common for people to be in disbelief, but who knows. she knows him best. 

yes, it is probable. just pointing out that it isn't definite yet. that's all. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    sk8drchiksk8drchik Posts: 213
    First thing I saw when I woke up this morning. Just saw him with TOTD in San Fran. I'm in shock and can't wrap my head around it all. I just can't believe it can be suicide. He seemed to be in a good place. My heart goes out to his family, PJ, SG, AS and all of us fans. RIP buddy...you were amazing. 
    Li
  • Options
    brookelilybrookelily Bethel Park, PA Posts: 235
    Just awful. awful.  RIP Chris Cornell
    8/16/92
    9/24/96, 9/28/96
    8/25/98, 9/18/98
    9/5/00
    4/26/03
    6/23/06
    10/28/09
    10/11/13, 10/12/13
    10/1/14
    9/2/18, 9/4/18
    9/18/21
  • Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    I didn't cry about Kurt (until I watched the movie). 
    I didn't cry about Layne. 
    For some reason, this hurts more than I imagined it would. 
    Maybe it's the place I'm in now. 
    Maybe it's the place I thought he was in. 
    Maybe because it's so shocking. 
    I'm totally with you on this.
    I don't understand why but I'm struggling with this one... more so than I even thought I would.
    I guess that's why I'm tripping through the forums today.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,537
    edited May 2017
    JH6056 said:
    everyone is assuming it was suicide. we don't know that yet. they are investigating it as one. but there are many possibilities. could have been accidental. who knows. we won't know until the medical examiner determines it. 
    While it's true no one knows until an official report, the combo of his family calling to have someone check on him and him being found with something around his neck make "accident" almost impossible.  Why would family be checking on him if they weren't worried?

No matter what, the end result is awful.  But in this case I understand those saying "probably suicide" given the other details released so far...
    vicky called for someone to check on him because he wasn't responding to her texts. she has said that he was not depressed, and showed ZERO signs of being suicidal. obviously, in times like these, it's common for people to be in disbelief, but who knows. she knows him best. 

Obviously I have no idea what was going on with him, but I am finding the idea of suicide hard to believe. For all we know, he was murdered. Or maybe he was doing that 'getting high from choking' thing. Ugh. It all just horrible conjecture. It sure doesn't sounds like he was coming off as a person about to kill himself though. He was tweeting tour updates earlier in the day FFS.
    This is depressing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 885
    Fuck. I hate this. I don't believe it...
    This makes Pearl Jam even more important if that was even possible. To me anyway. 
    Heart goes out to his family and friends. 
  • Options
    jsk175jsk175 Posts: 70
    Very Sad,   RIP and thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.  Tragic
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    JH6056 said:

Obviously I have no idea what was going on with him, but I am finding the idea of suicide hard to believe. For all we know, he was murdered. Or maybe he was doing that 'getting high from choking' thing. Ugh. It all just horrible conjecture. It sure doesn't sounds like he was coming off as a person about to kill himself though. He was tweeting tour updates earlier in the day FFS.
    This is depressing.
    my first thought was death by misadventure, or whatever the hell the PC term is for that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    One of a kind..... What a loss. Comfort and peace to his inner circle. RIP Chris - you will be immensely missed.
  • Options
    TacomatoseTacomatose Posts: 20
    Chris was truly one of the greats. I know this because I discovered and then re-discovered him so many times over. The rawness of Louder than Love ... the tight punch of Badmotorfinger ... the emotional range of TOTD ... the crisp clarity of Seasons ... the subversiveness of hearing Spoonman on mainstream radio (which still sucks) ... the unexpected evolutions of his solo work ... his relationship and reunions with PJ ... the warm confidence and subtle intensity of his acoustic shows ... his songs and his voice.

It's not for me to guess or understand why this came to pass. So instead I'll remember his music and his songs and what they meant to me over nearly three decades. They will live on in my memories, from first hearing Soundgarden as a college freshman in '91 through his last two acoustic tours, and everything in between. His songs, woven with my memories, are the legacy I will carry forward.

From his October 8, 2015, show in Cleveland, the last time I saw him:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP4PkumM7SQ
  • Options
    Bulldog88Bulldog88 Posts: 380
    I feel this- very well put.
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Same here. I did shed a tear or 2 or Layne. But this is hitting closer to home for me as well. I cried for 45 minutes this morning listening to different SG and AS songs. I think with age comes appreciation. Not just for the great music, but for the loss of a fellow human being that we all looked up to and enjoyed so much. 

Prince, David Bowie,  among others and now Chris. We've lost some of the best and most influential musicians ever in the last 16 months. What a shame.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Stunned. Was at the show last night...stunned.
  • Options
    TacomatoseTacomatose Posts: 20
    This is me.
  • Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,807
    bejster23 said:
    Really tough start to the day. Thoughts with the family, friends, and all the fans like myself.
    There has been a good live tribute on sirius xm channel 106 today.
    Good find. Thanks 
  • Options
    DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    wow this is incredible. whomever wrote this nailed it. i could not have collected and said better thoughts than what is said here.
    I can't take credit for writing it. Someone posted this on FB and I had the same reaction as you.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I'm so heartbroken 
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,603
    I am still in denial of this.  I don't think I can listen to any music today, either.  David Bowie's "Young Americans" keeps running through my head, esp. the Beatles tease "I read the news today, oh boy", which reminds the last time I saw Cornell.  He played "A Day in the Life" in the encore.  I'll never forget him.
  • Options
    Same here. I did shed a tear or 2 or Layne. But this is hitting closer to home for me as well. I cried for 45 minutes this morning listening to different SG and AS songs. I think with age comes appreciation. Not just for the great music, but for the loss of a fellow human being that we all looked up to and enjoyed so much. 

Prince, David Bowie,  among others and now Chris. We've lost some of the best and most influential musicians ever in the last 16 months. What a shame.
    I think for me, over the passage of time I've become more emotional. Exponentially. now I don't just mourn the person, or their music/art, as a parent, and as a person who suffers from depression who can sometimes fall down the hole of "my kids/wife would be better off without me", I think of the person's children. I ache for them. losing a parent when you are young HAS to be devastating beyond words. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    i'ts not how we die. it's how we lived. and he lived LARGE. 
    Yes.  I want to remember his life - not his death.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    kerbjackkerbjack kamloops bc Posts: 218

It's been a real rough past few months for me personally, losing my Grandfather, then Mom over the winter. Music, as I'm sure all of you know, is a great healer, and listening to Chris has helped me work through so many emotions this past while.

His solo work, Soundgarden when I've needed to let some anger go, Audioslave, and of course the Temple of the Dog all has been on a constant rotation in my car, home and office. So sad that a man who's work has help me, and others through tough times, could not get over his own.

I'm so grateful that my wife and I had the opportunity to see him in Vancouver 18 months ago, and this November in San Francisco with TOTD. They were, without a doubt two of the greatest shows I have been to, and by far the best vocals of any one have or ever will see live. I'm sad that I won't get the chance to see him front Soundgarden, was hoping to complete that trifecta if they announced some Western NA dates.

RIP Chris, I hope you find peace.

'Have you seen the way that tree bends?'
  • Options
    ritechusritechus Posts: 11

Totally gutted!!!

My heart goes out to Chris' family, all those who knew him personally, PJ, SG, AS, and the entire PJ & SG community.

• Options
    ritechusritechus Posts: 11
    shep said:
    that is really great...

and it sends shivers down my spine at the same time...

so many thoughts and not enough words.
    Well said

Well said indeed..

This is spot on!!!  Thank-you to whomever crafted it.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    Stunned. Was at the show last night...stunned.
    i can't imagine what that would feel like seeing him perform just a few hours before his passing.  horrible in so many ways.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    So sad. A massive loss.

Will always remember seeing Soundgarden pre and post hiatus...Chris solo...Audioslave...and the incredible TotD show in the fall. I will miss you Mr. Cornell