Options

Developing Story: News and Notes from Night 1 Boston

edited August 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Okay, just getting back from Boston and thought I would give some thoughts. Why? Because I give such good paradigm (don't ask why it's spelled the way it is in my UN).

Good crowd. Eddie screwed up with Guaranteed but it was all right. The crowd was with it. Walking the Cow opened, naturally. I thought Lukin, Elderly, Porch and Hard Sun got the best crowd reactions. Ed did a great experiment during the encores with using his voice in a synthasizer and spliced it all together with his own voice to make a unique sounding sequence. I thought the setlist was really good. The ITW was very good. Ed pretty much played by himself except for Finn on two songs (including finale). I thought the show would go to 11 but it ended at 10:45 pm. There were quite a few knuckleheads yelling in the Mezz section, which got annoying. Ed addressed it with something about he thought the ahole yellers were in NY. Porch may have been the best of the night, but I must say that Hard Sun is a helluva encore and my favorite ITW tune.

A few notes for you going tomorrow. They shut off beer right around 9ish, and you can buy 4 at a time if you have someone w/you. $24 for 4 beers and they are Miller Light or Coors Light. Get your tickets early so you don't have to wait in lines. Also, park by Tremont st. because the garage across from Opera House will be full and you'll wait a while to get out. We parked near Rock Bottom. The set design for the show was quite bland except for the encore. Ed complained about being on medication as he apparently was under the weather. And he brought up Thomas Young which got a nice applause. Fans stayed seated for the majority of the show. You can call Vegas now and take the odds that they will play Cow in opener. I thought Drifting was well done as well and Society was a pleasant surprise. There was a woman in the encore with Finn for Hard Sun...don't know who. They also wore white jackets like they were doctors or something..I guess to experiment.

more later......peace
model role model
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    The woman was the woman who played with Liam Finn...Eliza something (Jenkins? not sure)

I think lab coats were supposed to be like "mad scientists." It went with the dry ice and that coal tape reel-looking thing that eddie used during hard sun.

yes there was dry ice!
  • Options
    Yes, the requests were getting really annoying and Ed looked physically irked when a whole bunch were yelling for Smile. I thought the Pearl Jam songs were a nice touch but I went there to see Ed play his songs.
    When Ed mentioned he was on meds, he also mentioned if the crowd behaved, he would tell us another secret later on. Did that happen?

BTW: Liam Finn... Unbelievable. I think this is the first time EVER I saw an opening act and became a converted fan instantly. Talk about talent!! [Side note: Saw his father in May in Crowded House and was blown away! I see where the talent comes from.]

Also, a shout out to the ten clubbers around the second thru forth rows on the right side. It was nice meeting you all. Such a friendly bunch!
  • Options
    ragejoeragejoe Agawam Mass Posts: 1,413
    Okay, just getting back from Boston and thought I would give some thoughts. Why? Because I give such good paradigm (don't ask why it's spelled the way it is in my UN).

Good crowd. Eddie screwed up with Guaranteed but it was all right. The crowd was with it. Walking the Cow opened, naturally. I thought Lukin, Elderly, Porch and Hard Sun got the best crowd reactions. Ed did a great experiment during the encores with using his voice in a synthasizer and spliced it all together with his own voice to make a unique sounding sequence. I thought the setlist was really good. The ITW was very good. Ed pretty much played by himself except for Finn on two songs (including finale). I thought the show would go to 11 but it ended at 10:45 pm. There were quite a few knuckleheads yelling in the Mezz section, which got annoying. Ed addressed it with something about he thought the ahole yellers were in NY. Porch may have been the best of the night, but I must say that Hard Sun is a helluva encore and my favorite ITW tune.

A few notes for you going tomorrow. They shut off beer right around 9ish, and you can buy 4 at a time if you have someone w/you. $24 for 4 beers and they are Miller Light or Coors Light. Get your tickets early so you don't have to wait in lines. Also, park by Tremont st. because the garage across from Opera House will be full and you'll wait a while to get out. We parked near Rock Bottom. The set design for the show was quite bland except for the encore. Ed complained about being on medication as he apparently was under the weather. And he brought up Thomas Young which got a nice applause. Fans stayed seated for the majority of the show. You can call Vegas now and take the odds that they will play Cow in opener. I thought Drifting was well done as well and Society was a pleasant surprise. There was a woman in the encore with Finn for Hard Sun...don't know who. They also wore white jackets like they were doctors or something..I guess to experiment.

more later......peace

thanks for the parking tip for tomorrow!! sounds like a cool show, hopin he is feelin a little better tomorrow...
    1998 Tour- Hartford 9/13
    2000 Tour- Saratoga 8/27 Boston 8/29, 8/30
    2003 Tour- Albany 4/29 Boston 7/2,7/3,7/11 Philadelphia 7/5,7/6 MSG 7/8,7/9
    2004 Tour-
    Boston 9/28,9/29
    2006 Tour-
    Albany 5/12 Hartford 5/13 Boston 5/24,5/25
    2008 Tour-
    MSG 6/24,6/25 Hartford 6/27 Boston 6/28,6/30 Eddie- Boston 8/1
    2009 Tour-
    Eddie- Albany 6/9 Philly Spectrum- 10/30, 10/31
    2010 Tour-
    Hartford 5/15 MSG 5/20,5/21
    2011 Tour-
    Eddie- Hartford 6/18
    2013 Tour- Worcester,MA 10/15,10/16 Hartford 10/25
    2016 Tour- MSG 5/1,5/2 FENWAY 8/5,8/7
    2018 Tour- Fenway 9/2, 9/4 (My 40th show)!
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Hi Stone! ;)
  • Options
    Sounds like Ed isn't straying too far from the West Coast gigs- the scientist lab coats, similar setlists, using the loop machine and doing Arc. That's ok with me- the West Coast shows were great, and I can't wait for Milwaukee and Chicago!
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    When Ed mentioned he was on meds, he also mentioned if the crowd behaved, he would tell us another secret later on. Did that happen?
    I think he actually said he would share his drugs, he was joking around.
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    arc was unbelievablemexcept for the crowd cheering when he first started to loop the different voice tracks for it!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    I think he actually said he would share his drugs, he was joking around.

he shares his bottle o' wine, so you never know
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,919
    Yes, the requests were getting really annoying and Ed looked physically irked when a whole bunch were yelling for Smile. I thought the Pearl Jam songs were a nice touch but I went there to see Ed play his songs.
    Hopefully the yelling calms down a little bit. I guess since the setting from a Pearl Jam show is so different people feel like they actually get a chance to be heard by Eddie and just can't help themselves. But it is obnoxious- imagine if someone was yelling out in the movie theatre.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    groovengrooven Posts: 32
    SVRDhand13 wrote:
    Hopefully the yelling calms down a little bit. I guess since the setting from a Pearl Jam show is so different people feel like they actually get a chance to be heard by Eddie and just can't help themselves. But it is obnoxious- imagine if someone was yelling out in the movie theatre.

I second that...I'm taking my wife(shes not a huge fan) and I'm hoping we can give her a good impression. I want her to go with me to more shows!
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    It's nice to see people becoming instant fans of Liam. He totally deserves it. Saw him live for the first time when he opened for White-Pants (aka boyscout) when he did his West Coast gigs. Then Liam did his own gig at the Bottom of the Hill in May and I went to see him there as well. Luckily, he's coming back to Bay Area in September!
    That girl who sang with Liam is named Eliza Jane Barnes. She has an incredible voice.

Liam was awesome! Another I met last night went out between sets and got his autograph and stuff. I wish I had thought of that. I am definitely an instant fan! He's playing at the Paradise sometime soon.
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    fuck, I hope we get Arc in DC.
  • Options
    DedvwDedvw Posts: 245
    I don't know why but Arc was one of the coolest concert experiences I've ever had.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    Dedvw wrote:
    I don't know why but Arc was one of the coolest concert experiences I've ever had.

as my buddy said when it was over

primal
  • Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    He goes into some type of trans when he does Arc. The versions I saw during West Coast solo gigs were just incredible. You can definitely tell from his expression that it is extremely cathartic for him.

That's it! I really felt he was sending out a message to our nine friends.
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”