Poll--The Weakest Link: Backspacer Round 2

2»

Comments

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,136
    The End
    Hope this is the end for The End.
    Don't worry at all..i would love to see Force of Nature win but Unthought Known is clear front runner..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    The End
    23scidoo said:
    Don't worry at all..i would love to see Force of Nature win but Unthought Known is clear front runner..

Got Some is looking pretty strong.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • javis el errantejavis el errante Posts: 6,136
    The End
    I can't believe Gonna see my friend is one of the weakest...
    ... I am not in the business of being liked anymore ...

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    Unthought Known
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh yeah, The End. I might have voted for that first but forgot it was at the end of the list.
    Several weakest link threads ago I thought I remember you saying Unthought Known and ATW were your top 2 from this album. I remembered because its a coin flip between those two when it comes to my favorite. Must have been someone else who said it, but both great songs!
    :lol: Yes, you are definitely thinking of someone else. I pretty much hate Unthought Known, and ATW isn't much better.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,895
    edited May 2017
    Unthought Known
    23scidoo said:

Got Some is looking pretty strong.
    Got Some is definitely my fave from the album (even that isn't all that good, but I do really enjoy it live at least).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,881
    Supersonic
    The fixer out in the first round!?!? what's wrong with you people, I think this is rigged...
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    Gonna See My Friend
    a5pj said:
    The fixer out in the first round!?!? what's wrong with you people, I think this is rigged...
    I don't understand it either in comparison to some of the songs that stuck around.  I personally like The Fixer. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,180
    The End
    a5pj said:
    If there is one thing that's not rigged its eliminating The Fixer ASAP. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 740
    Supersonic
    Yeah, personally if three songs had to go, I'd have eliminated Johnny, Supersonic and Gonna See My Friend. Speed of Sound isn't my thing, but I still recognize how well executed it is - sort of like Sirens [ducks from projectile tomatoes].
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 740
    Supersonic
    And for me The Fixer is a good song and AT WORST #7 or 8 on the album. This is the Target bias at work.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,618
    The End
    Yeah, personally if three songs had to go, I'd have eliminated Johnny, Supersonic and Gonna See My Friend. Speed of Sound isn't my thing, but I still recognize how well executed it is - sort of like Sirens [ducks from projectile tomatoes].
    When I read your post I just had the thought of a  PJ super song called Gonna See My Friend Johnny Supersonic. I think I'd really like that song since I actually like all those songs! :lol:
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Posts: 16,430
    The End
    And for me The Fixer is a good song and AT WORST #7 or 8 on the album. This is the Target bias at work.
    Hahaha!  "Target bias."  I like it!
    "I want the Pearl Jam that stood up against TicketMaster, not the one who sold out to Target."  :weary:
  • Supersonic
    People are knocking the Fixer for a few reasons- one being cheesy lyrics. While this might be true... not every song can be Given to Fly.

As well, it had some commercial appeal which at a minimum generated interest in the band by people who had not given them much attention until then. From that perspective it's at least 'okay'.

Further, there's not a song on this album that doesn't have its blemish lyrically:

"love ain't love until you feel it up riding high  amongst the waves"

Oh my. How nice. So much better than some homeless man resting his head on a pillow made of concrete.

The Fixer at least is (was) a little catchy. It is not one of the three worse songs from the album.

This is album to PJ is the equivalent of Presence to Led Zeppelin. It just wasn't their greatest piece of work. No big whoop. Things like that happen.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,051
    I always thought he sang "Love ain't love until you give it all.....".

I have been known to mis-hear Eddie's lyrics though. This might be the least embarrassing for me. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    The End
    People are knocking the Fixer for a few reasons- one being cheesy lyrics. While this might be true... not every song can be Given to Fly.

As well, it had some commercial appeal which at a minimum generated interest in the band by people who had not given them much attention until then. From that perspective it's at least 'okay'.

Further, there's not a song on this album that doesn't have its blemish lyrically:

Oh my. How nice. So much better than some homeless man resting his head on a pillow made of concrete.

The Fixer at least is (was) a little catchy. It is not one of the three worse songs from the album.

This is album to PJ is the equivalent of Presence to Led Zeppelin. It just wasn't their greatest piece of work. No big whoop. Things like that happen.
    I agree with most of what you said except I would argue that Got Some doesn't really have any lyrical blemishes. Supersonic doesn't have great lyrics, but I don't find any corny.
  • Supersonic

How do you consider yourself a PJfan w/ the above you just posted?
    Unemployable has some very forgettable lyrics.
    The End

How do you consider yourself a PJfan w/ the above you just posted?
    Unemployable has some very forgettable lyrics.
    Unemployable has great lyrics, it just doesn't get any "punch" in that song, or how Eddie delivers the lyrics. I think that song, Army reserve and Marker in the Sand share that problem.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    The End

Eddies new theme of writing and rhyming about love like he's 16 years old is unfortunate.

But The Fixer's lyrics are on that Olé level of lyrics. It's amazingly weird that they got through.
    The End
    Voting The End merely because it's more an Ed song than Pearl Jam. It's better than Supersonic.
    edited May 2017
    The End
    I have to say, I've listened to this album about a dozen times in the last few weeks and I still really enjoy it. Most I've listened to it, and really first time, since it initially came out. I think it closed out their 2nd decade together nicely. Just wish the 3rd decade wasn't so quiet :( I'd have taken 3 more Backspacer style albums over just one release in 8 years.
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    Got Some
    This poll has ended.
    The End, Supersonic, and Gonna See My Friend have been eliminated.
This discussion has been closed.