Options

Twitter hints?

Comments

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
     Listening to PJ's catalog is really fun because you can hear the growth throughout every release. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Reminds me of the Beatles.  
    "Too many love songs" 
    "It's always been love songs"
    "Too many" 
    "Now look what you did, there's no more Beatles songs!

I want to hear what PJ has enough passion for to record and Release, PERIOD!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    /\ Ha! Spot on and agree 1,000%.
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    rgambs said:
    "Too many love songs" 
    "Too many" 

Hahaha. Amen. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,852
    rgambs said:
    "Too many love songs" 
    "Too many" 

yeah, sure, so if they did an anne murray covers album you'd be all over that. sure. you're only saying that because you know they only do 1-3 slow ones per album. if it got to be half, you'd start to be like "eeewwwww"
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    No pants could contain the raging boner I'd have if Pearl Jam did an all mellow or acoustic album. No pants.
  • Options
    No pants could contain the raging boner I'd have if Pearl Jam did an all mellow or acoustic album. No pants.
    acoustic album is different than an album of Snow Birds. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    do you like sirens and future days?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,838

Just call him "No Pants LedVed"
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Eh. I don't despise them like the majority do on here. Having said that, I don't think those are their strongest songs as of late. If Future Days were on an Ed solo album sans the piano, I'd love it. Sirens with better lyrics would be awesome. I think that there are many on here who want loud for the sake of loud. (Comatose for example) That doesn't make a good song. And quiet for the sake of quiet is a bad route to take as well. (Just Breathe and Future Days). Honestly, I feel like Future Days was an attempt to follow up Just Breathe's success. It got fairly decent radio play despite not being released as a single. 
  • Options
    i dig just breathe. i actually like sirens better than future days. but you're right, i don't like anything just for the sake of it in any realm. 

i think a lot of people like sirens. i just think future days is where it gets capped. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Do you think it's BOB's piano intro that kills it for most? I truly hate it but I think, as a song of just a guy and his guitar, it's a solid song. It's one of those three (or 5) chords and the truth type of songs. The production on the record version kills it though.
  • Options
    Do you think it's BOB's piano intro that kills it for most? I truly hate it but I think, as a song of just a guy and his guitar, it's a solid song. It's one of those three (or 5) chords and the truth type of songs. The production on the record version kills it though.
    bingo. hate the piano intro. 

the thing of it is, you or someone mentioned this earlier, that if these songs were on ed solo records, it makes a difference to me. see, i love skipping. if that were on a pj record, i probably wouldn't. sleeping by myself is horrid on LB, but love it on uke songs. context, for whatever reason, makes a difference to me. it may not make sense, but it's they way it is for me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    just listened to it again. blech. reminds me of a couple walking down the aisle. but you're right, at the 22 second mark, it's not bad. but even though i'm happily married, i don't dig love songs. i like sappy songs to your kids (i have two daughters), like skipping, but not relationship love songs. makes me want to barf. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I hear you, man. Love songs to me anymore are more directed towards my love for my son. That's a great point on Skipping. No way does it work on a PJ album but as a solo release, bring on all of the sap! Great song!
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,851
    edited May 2017
    Sirens is not the cheesiest song on lightning bolt. Maybe we have all tried so hard to forget future days...

I have a master's degree, am gainfully employed, am observed regularly at my job by many individuals, take feedback and adjust to become better at my trade. You can evaluate me anytime.
    Post edited by evenflow82 on
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    i don't mind the songs on the album but not really thrilled when they are pulled out during the live shows. i don't think Sirens works live. it is missing something.  I think Sirens and Future Days on the album are good though.  An album should have some diversity and maybe it's as i get older I can also relate to the sentiment of those two songs. 
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,448
    Sirens is great
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Sirens is not the cheesiest song on lightning bolt. Maybe we have all tried so hard to forget future days...

I have a master's degree, am gainfully employed, am observed regularly at my job by many individuals, take feedback and adjust to become better at my trade. You can evaluate me anytime.
    Would you like Future Days as either a b-side/Ed solo/whatever? Maybe "like" isn't the right word, but would you view the song differently had the release method been different? I'm quite intrigued in this discussion I got in on here and how people view the ballads. 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    pjhawks said:
    i don't mind the songs on the album but not really thrilled when they are pulled out during the live shows. i don't think Sirens works live. it is missing something.  I think Sirens and Future Days on the album are good though.  An album should have some diversity and maybe it's as i get older I can also relate to the sentiment of those two songs. 
    for sure. i'm not advocating for an album of Not For You's. don't mind slower ones on previous albums. like i said, i liked just breathe and actually speed of sound. just don't like sirens or FD. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Just Breathe is an AMAZING song. It was beat to death in that 1st encore for a few years, and suffered from general over exposure, but that's because it is that good of a song
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    my2hands said:
    Just Breathe is an AMAZING song. It was beat to death in that 1st encore for a few years, and suffered from general over exposure, but that's because it is that good of a song
    it became like a 7th inning stretch.  As predictable
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    just listened to it again. blech. reminds me of a couple walking down the aisle. but you're right, at the 22 second mark, it's not bad. but even though i'm happily married, i don't dig love songs. i like sappy songs to your kids (i have two daughters), like skipping, but not relationship love songs. makes me want to barf. 
    Completely f'n agree. 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,787
    However.... when my son was 3yo (he's now 9) we were listening to PJ in the car.  He never cared or commented about any music. Completely indifferent. Once immediately after just breathe in the silence he said in a very non 3yo matter of fact way "now that's a beautiful song."  :kiss:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,597
    I never play Future Days or Sleeping by Myself. I wish they had gone with Cold Confession and Yellow Moon moodlike songs for the second half of LB.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,448
    Just Breathe is the only PJ single to reach platinum status. Although there are other reasons other songs haven't. Mostly the early stuff
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,253
    my2hands said:
    Agreed. I think Backspacer the studio album is pretty good, but I don't want to hear Just Breathe every night in the encore. Felt the same way about Sirens. Liked it on the album, but it got over played and can kind of kill a live show. The second half of LB suffered from the triple threat slow song album close. I like Yellow Moon a lot, but Sleeping By Myself just doesn't fit and Future Days is better if you remove SBM. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,918
    tbergs said:
    my2hands said:
    Agreed. I think Backspacer the studio album is pretty good, but I don't want to hear Just Breathe every night in the encore. Felt the same way about Sirens. Liked it on the album, but it got over played and can kind of kill a live show. The second half of LB suffered from the triple threat slow song album close. I like Yellow Moon a lot, but Sleeping By Myself just doesn't fit and Future Days is better if you remove SBM. 
    even flow into sirens is plain terrible.
    also I agree with everyone else, just breathe as the first song of an encore was overplayed to death.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    However.... when my son was 3yo (he's now 9) we were listening to PJ in the car.  He never cared or commented about any music. Completely indifferent. Once immediately after just breathe in the silence he said in a very non 3yo matter of fact way "now that's a beautiful song."  :kiss:
    That is adorable. You're definitely raising him right!
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    joemorr88joemorr88 Boston, MA Posts: 30
    That is adorable. You're definitely raising him right!
    @Tweedyfanjen Nice avatar, GO COCKS!