Nashville

Hitting Nashville for the first time next weekend. Can anyone recommend bar/restaurant do's and don'ts? We rented a house on the East Side. City looks awesome - excited to check things out. thanks in advance
(if you recommend seeing dave matthews or luke bryan your opinion will be disregarded due to awful taste).

Comments

• PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I won't share my recommendations on music, but I will say one of the best things to do in Nashville is just stroll through the heart of the city...Its been forever since I was there, but the last time...we were doing just that and an amazing street performer was singing and playing his acoustic guitar...he was incredible. And the city is full of that and such rich history. You really never know what you'll find, but it could be amazing. And I would suggest stopping into Tootsie's...that place is full of History. It's on my list when I make it back, as I was not old enough to go to a bar in the spring of 2003.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    PJSiren said:

I won't share my recommendations on music, but I will say one of the best things to do in Nashville is just stroll through the heart of the city...Its been forever since I was there, but the last time...we were doing just that and an amazing street performer was singing and playing his acoustic guitar...he was incredible. And the city is full of that and such rich history. You really never know what you'll find, but it could be amazing. And I would suggest stopping into Tootsie's...that place is full of History. It's on my list when I make it back, as I was not old enough to go to a bar in the spring of 2003.

awesome thank you. we have reservations at 5th and taylor one night. other than that we are open for whatver
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    You're welcome!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,735
    I don't know much about restaurants there but Broadway street is just bar after bar with live music going all day and night. It's awesome.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    My wife and I enjoyed the Bluebird Cafe when we visited last December. We went for a singer/songwriter night, so it was more folksy music than country. Get there early for the show if you decide to go. They only have room for a certain amount of people and once they hit that limit, they don't let anyone else in. Since they don't sell tickets, it is something like a $7 minimum per person.

I enjoyed seeing the Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's mansion). If you like historical places, this should be on your list.

Take a tour of the Ryman Auditorium. It was the original home of the Grand Ole Opry. Very interesting tour.

RCA Studio B tour was short but interesting. Pretty neat to know you've been in the room where some iconic songs were recorded. (This would also apply to the Sun Studio tour in Memphis, if you happen to make it out that way).

It's probably a 2 hour drive, but go down to Lynchburg to the Jack Daniel's distillery. Of our Tennessee trip (Chattanooga, Nashville, and Memphis) this was probably my favorite thing we did.

We did the Country Music Hall of Fame museum. I don't care for country so it wasn't particularly great for me, but my wife really enjoyed it. I don't know if it's still there, but the Johnny Cash/Bob Dylan exhibit was interesting, even though it wasn't that big.

The nightlife was kind of underwhelming for us, but we're not really big into bar hopping and that kind of thing. We went to Tootsie's, but the band was mediocre and the whole place felt like you were jammed in there like sardines.

I don't remember all of the restaurants we ate at, but the 2 that stick out were Hattie B's and Monell's at the Manor. Hattie B's is a fried chicken place that will always be packed. It was good, but I'm not sure it was worth the wait. Monell's is a Southern food family style restaurant. You need to be ok with eating with strangers. The food was really good though. I would wait in line for that place.

I know this was long winded, but I hope it helps you out.
  • Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,870
    Johnny Cash Museum.... I liked Nashville, we just hit a few spots up and enjoyed all the live music that was going on. Grabbed some good grub and just went with the flow....
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby