Options

2008 bootleg/iPod question

EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
edited July 2008 in The Porch
Ok...so I ordered both Mansfield shows. When I went to put them on iTunes, I changed some of the info. so they'd all be consistent. After importing them onto my iPod, I now have "Pearl Jam" listed twice on my list of Artists. One Pearl Jam "section" contains only Disc 2 from each show, while both Disc 1's are in the previously existing "Pearl Jam" section. Am I making sense? What am I doing wrong here?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Brownie9160Brownie9160 Posts: 190
    What do you mean by a different Pearl Jam 'section' There are two separate Artists listed as 'Pearl Jam' in your library now? One only has the Disc 2s from the shows? If this is right, there must be a difference in how you typed the artist name. There may be white space (blanks) after the name, which has happened to me before.
    Hartford 06
    Bonnaroo 08
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield I & II 08
    E.V. Boston I & II 08
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply...yes, I have two Pearl Jam's listed. Not a huge deal, just somewhat annoying. How do I fix this? You think there are spaces where there shouldn't be?
  • Options
    JammerJammer Posts: 85
    What do you mean by a different Pearl Jam 'section' There are two separate Artists listed as 'Pearl Jam' in your library now? One only has the Disc 2s from the shows? If this is right, there must be a difference in how you typed the artist name. There may be white space (blanks) after the name, which has happened to me before.

Hey,
    I am having the same problem. Some of them show up as the Artist being "Pearl Jam 2008", and I also have two artists named "Pearl Jam". I don't understand why.

See this also;
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=296665

Thanks
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    There's probably some inconsistency with how "Pearl Jam" is written in the "Artist info". Maybe an extra space after the 'm' or something.
  • Options
    The Pearl Jam 2008 artist makes sense---you need to delete the 2008 before importing the cd into iTunes.

As for Pearl Jam being listed more than once, it seems that spaces left after typing in "Pearl Jam" will affect how the iPod interprets the artist name. At least this is what I'm gathering from other's responses.
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I noticed that when I put Hartford and Mansfield 1 in my computer that Windows Media Player could read the song titles, but not with Mansfield 2.

I thought that was odd.
  • Options
    it likely has to do with there being a space at the end of pearl jam on some of the files. Here is how you can solve it.

Go onto iTunes on your computer. Search for pearl jam. Select all of your pearl jam and hit ctrl I (get info). It will ask you if you want to edit multiple files at once. Click yes. Under artist, delete whatever is there and reenter pearl jam.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Brownie9160Brownie9160 Posts: 190
    That is the only thing I can think of...I know this has happened to me before and it is VERY annoying. I would open the info for the newly created 'Pearl Jam' songs and make sure there are no blank spaces entered after the artist name. Someone else may have another suggestion if this doesn't work...
    Hartford 06
    Bonnaroo 08
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield I & II 08
    E.V. Boston I & II 08
  • Options
    I noticed that when I put Hartford and Mansfield 1 in my computer that Windows Media Player could read the song titles, but not with Mansfield 2.

I thought that was odd.

I can't wait to get home today and import Hartford and Mansfield 2 into itunes. It seems I am going to need to take some time to straighten this out. The five other shows I already added are mixed and do not show in order. I have 9k plus songs and 1500 or so "CD's" in iTunes. I guess I have to check each and every item as has been suggested. I have changed album/track info and it does not help. I will delete them, rename everything and import them again and see if it helps. I had no issue's with the boots until this...
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977
    it likely has to do with there being a space at the end of pearl jam on some of the files. Here is how you can solve it.

Go onto iTunes on your computer. Search for pearl jam. Select all of your pearl jam and hit ctrl I (get info). It will ask you if you want to edit multiple files at once. Click yes. Under artist, delete whatever is there and reenter pearl jam.

Hope this helps.

I have never tried that, but I have had to go through and select the artist, click to change (highlight to remove), and then just start typing PEARL JAM and let the title that itunes already has filed be the right "pearl jam" for all.

Thats confusing, but it makes sense to me...
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    Stone Is GodStone Is God Posts: 1,329

Hope this helps.

Worked like a charm.

To expand on it, if you put the same title in the Album Title for the bootlegs it ends up in once nice, neat concert.

Awesome.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.
  • Options
    melva02melva02 Posts: 298

I thought that was odd.

Not sure about WMP, but iTunes gets that data from the cddb, where people enter data for different cds based on the non-audio identifying info at the beginning. So maybe nobody has entered Mansfield 2 yet. I forget how to do it or I would tell you.

As far as I know, and I may be outmoded here, the tracklist is never on the cd itself.

Melissa
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i had to change all the info manually for the nyc and hartford shows b/c it had the artist as PJ 2008...Bonnaroo was fine tho
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    _outlaw wrote:
    There's probably some inconsistency with how "Pearl Jam" is written in the "Artist info". Maybe an extra space after the 'm' or something.

Yeah,
    Just like you said. Extra spaces after the 'm'. I removed them and all my boots are all set and all in order. I am again happy with the boots !!
  • Options
    shekkieshekkie Posts: 79
    Make sure they are both spelled the same way, Mine is CAPS sensitive. Also make sure they both only say Pearl Jam and nothing else. Good Luck
    9/24/96 8/25/98 9/5/00 4/25/03 4/26/03 10/2/04 9/28/05 5/20/06 5/27/06 5/28/06 5/30/06 6/23/06 6/24/06 8/2/07 8/5/07 6/22/08 6/24/08 6/25/08 10/27/09 10/28/09 10/30/09 10/31/09 5/4/10 5/9/10 10/11/13
  • Options
    melva02melva02 Posts: 298

Hope this helps.

Also, for future reference, you can check all the other tags too. My friend gave me the itunes bonus tracks for the Into the Wild and they showed up as part of the album, but before the regular tracks, even though I changed all the track numbers to show 1 through 15 of 15 tracks. The problem was that my imported cd showed disc 1 of 1, and those fields were blank in the bonus tracks. itunes can be mysterious so just go through and compare every field. Make sure you're looking at the individual songs because some fields don't show up if you're looking at more than one song (the field is blank if the entries are different among the songs).

Melissa