Options

Aging

5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
edited June 2008 in Given To Fly (live)
Is anyone else concerned that for the first time they used back up singers? That just worries me because, its a sign that they are starting to change with age.They still rock like no one has ever in the history of music, but they are in their early 40's. I don't wanna see it turn into something like the Stones
This too shall pass.....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Laura in NJLaura in NJ Posts: 176
    5against1- wrote:
    Is anyone else concerned that for the first time they used back up singers? That just worries me because, its a sign that they are starting to change with age.They still rock like no one has ever in the history of music, but they are in their early 40's. I don't wanna see it turn into something like the Stones

They haven't done it for any other shows on this tour, right? I think it was just a NYC thing.
    Laura in NJ
    4-17-1994 Paramount Theater, NYC
    6-20-1995 Red Rocks (Sponsored By No One tour)
    6-23-1998 Fiddler’s Green, CO
    7-09-2003 MSG NYC
    9-28-2004 Fleet Center, Boston (Vote For Change warmup)
    6-01-2006 & 6-03-2006 E. Rutherford, NJ
    6-25-2008 MSG NYC * 7-07-2008 EV NJPAC
  • Options
    5against1-5against1- Posts: 1,101
    Yeah first time for the tour and I'm pretty sure first time ever.
    This too shall pass.....
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    since i first heard COMEBACK, I have always said that I picture Ed in a shark skin suit with back up singers, kinda like the 4 tops singing behind him then all together doing a spin while snapping their fingers. Maybe last night was a start! :D
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    OSak00006OSak00006 Posts: 32
    wasnt at NYC, but from what i gather they used the singers on Who You Are?

they played it regularly, with no backup singers, in camden.

sounded great!
  • Options
    I took it as more of a goof. I had a feeling those 3 work for the band/fan club and aren't professional singers. Just hard workers/good people who got the thrill of a lifetime and a story for the granskids. Can't say that's 100% accurate, just my impression
  • Options
    GangstacroGangstacro Posts: 104
    Guys, come'on now. They used back up singers, who were really crew members who were psyched to share the stage for a song or two. The band just wanted to give these guys a cool experience of being on the stage at MSG.
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,258
    It's probably more like Eh, I wonder what would happen if we had backup singers? I doubt the decision was based on more than that.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    Personally I love the idea of having back up singers...I'd love to hear them do more with this kind of thing.

I think it would be a cool little experiment for some of the newer material...something really out of left field like backup singers and a horn section.

It would be bad ass and I think they could really pull something like that off.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    Personally I love the idea of having back up singers...I'd love to hear them do more with this kind of thing.

I think it would be a cool little experiment for some of the newer material...something really out of left field like backup singers and a horn section.

It would be bad ass and I think they could really pull something like that off.

I cannot agree on the horns bit ...
  • Options
    MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    It's really just because of those individual songs. All Night has layered vocals. That's a song that sounds way better with backup singers.
  • Options
    FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    dont wanna see it turn into something like the stones?.....man, the stones are easily considered the greatest rock band ever, and for what we´ve heard in many different occasions, eddie agrees with that statement, so...
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,901
    Federico wrote:
    dont wanna see it turn into something like the stones?.....man, the stones are easily considered the greatest rock band ever, and for what we´ve heard in many different occasions, eddie agrees with that statement, so...

The Stones are indeed awesome, although they rely pretty heavily on backup musicians these days. I wouldn't want PJ to go that route either. That being said, these backup singers are most likely a fun thing to do at MSG. I kinda doubt they'll be out there every night now.
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    Fuck that. The Who never used backup singers.

(Absolutely no research was involved in the posting of this statement).
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    LeilaMoonTurtleLeilaMoonTurtle Posts: 1,418
    backup singers on all night, who u are and wma

it was great

if they use backup like last night it is great

change is good

garden was diff in 06
    and porch changed
    and alive changed and so on
    and it seems to work just fine

I want to see more of Ed dancing salsa! he almost had it last night!