Poll--The Weakest Link: Binaural Round 2

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    Thin Air

Nami said:

tbergs said:

mcgruff10 said:

Sleight of hand has always bored me to death.

It's a sit back, close your eyes and let the music flow through you type of experience. That's exactly what I did with this album in college. Come back from the bar, turn the lights down, turn the music up and sit back on the couch.
    This.

My love for SOH came from St. Louis 2003. The line "he waves goodbye to himself" Ed did this John Cena in slow motion motion with his hand and I can still vision it where it's like I could see like vapor trails behind his hand as it moved. It's like I was tripping but I was clean as a whistle. Then I dissected the lyrics more and related it to my situation commuting every day to a terrible job and it just clicked. Great song.
    similar situation with me, sat and read the lyrics and was like WOW... beautiful song.
    They played it at my first show and I recall Ed introducing it by saying "this one actually has a little bit of musical merit" or something to that effect. I never really paid much attention to it in the 4 months between album release and that show, but when he said that, I really focused on that song. Went home that night and listened to it over and over for the next few days, dissecting the lyrics. Fell in absolute love with it. It's been in my top 10 ever since.
    I still get chills at that last line and Mike's guitar work intermixed with Matt's drums; yeah, perfection.

A time to dream
    To himself
    He waves goodbye
    To himself
    I'll see you on the other side
    Another man moved by sleight of hand

It's almost like a continuation on "I'm Open":

A man lies in his bed in a room with no door
    He waits hoping for a presence something anything to enter
    After spending half his life searching he still felt as blank
    As the ceiling at which he stared
    He is alive but feels absolutely nothing
    So is he?
    When he was six he believed that the moon overhead followed him
    By nine he had deciphered the illusion trading magic for fact
    No tradebacks...
    So this is what it's like to be an adult
    If he only knew now what he knew then...
    I'm open... (2x)
    Come on in... (4x)
    I'm open... (2x)
    Come on in... (4x)
    I'm open...
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to
    Dream...
    Dream up a new self for himself...
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Sleight Of Hand
    derbydave said:

KC138045 said:

Breakerfall better not go out this early!! Absolutely love it! I'll never forget the moment I heard it live for the first time. One of those full-body joy moments that we only get a few of in our lives.

Breakerfall was the opener at my first PJ concert. I can't vote for it for that reason alone. Plus I love the song.
    Polaris 2000 I'm betting...
    That was a GREAT show!!!
    Yes sir! i have very fond memories of both those Polaris/Germain amphitheater shows. Its sad that they turned that into an IKEA.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    Breakerfall
    I knew the voting for this album was going to be a shit show.

I agree with Jimmy that this is not one of their 'supreme' albums. It's good, but not as great as some make it out to be in my opinion.

Regardless... the songs that make the album good are catching votes and very early.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    Of The Girl
    Toss up between OTG and NAIS.
    Can't remember which I even voted for, guess I'll find out when I see my post.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    Gods' Dice

mcgruff10 said:

Breakerfall better not go out this early!! Absolutely love it! I'll never forget the moment I heard it live for the first time. One of those full-body joy moments that we only get a few of in our lives.

Agree!

Gods Dice is the definition of setlist filler. (still like it)

I'm going to replace one letter in your sentence that usually resonates with the masses at shows: Gods Dice is the definition of a setlist killer.

Bullshit. Awesome song. If God's Dice is a setlist killer you must think the same about Hail Hail
    Hail Hail has easy to get lyrics that's hit you at once. In all of its poppunkrockieness

You can't say that about Gods Dice. Convoluted lyrics in a song without any hook/strong chorus.

It's a Big Wave/Supersonic tier songs.

I still like it though. But when it shows up in a setlist Im always like - who is this for?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Gods' Dice

God's Dice? Who the fuck are you people?

And, Parting ways has all the things that Binaural is made to have - mood, beauty, atmosphere and thoughtfulness :) Amazingly sad song.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Gods' Dice
    MedozK said:

Moving on to Round 2
    Evacuation, Soon Forget and Rival eliminated in Round 1.

Are three songs removed at once to speed things up? or any other reason?

• Options
    Gods' Dice
    rummy said:

rummy said:

mcgruff10 said:

I ran to get a t-shirt while it was played at Toronto 1 last spring (mind you, I could still HEAR it!)

I appreciate that a lot of fan club members love this album (I too really like it) but there were A LOT of dumb-founded/bored audience members at the ACC on May 10, 2016 - especially in the 100-level seats.
    Sleight off hand works a lot better in the studio than live I think (more reason to not vote on it here :) ). I've not heard any really striking versions of it in an Arena setting. It lacks the glue that is the Binaural-mood and Eddies strong voice.

But, I don't think PJ should care if people are bored – tenclubbers because of Evenflow or "100 level seaters" because of Sleight of Hand. They should play just for themselves and those who get it, get it. The Neil Young way. Instead of the nostalgia act-way.

:)
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Thin Air
    How SOH has more votes than Thin Air is blowing my mind.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Sleight Of Hand

God's Dice? Who the fuck are you people?

And, Parting ways has all the things that Binaural is made to have - mood, beauty, atmosphere and thoughtfulness :) Amazingly sad song.
    Agree 100%. (Hopefully that somewhat makes up for my SoH t-shirt excursion!)
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Grievance

MedozK said:

Moving on to Round 2
    Evacuation, Soon Forget and Rival eliminated in Round 1.

Are three songs removed at once to speed things up? or any other reason?

Yea, I guess, The pattern has been to eliminate 3 songs in each Round 1 and Round 2.
  • Options
    Thin Air

rummy said:

rummy said:

mcgruff10 said:

I ran to get a t-shirt while it was played at Toronto 1 last spring (mind you, I could still HEAR it!)

I appreciate that a lot of fan club members love this album (I too really like it) but there were A LOT of dumb-founded/bored audience members at the ACC on May 10, 2016 - especially in the 100-level seats.
    Sleight off hand works a lot better in the studio than live I think (more reason to not vote on it here :) ). I've not heard any really striking versions of it in an Arena setting. It lacks the glue that is the Binaural-mood and Eddies strong voice.

But, I don't think PJ should care if people are bored – tenclubbers because of Evenflow or "100 level seaters" because of Sleight of Hand. They should play just for themselves and those who get it, get it. The Neil Young way. Instead of the nostalgia act-way.

:)
    I'm in the small minority here, but I think that song is elevated live. Check out this performance from Oslo '00. Back in the day when Ed would nonchalantly light a cig on stage. It's a great mix of constraint and release between the verse and chorus. Sorry the video is a bit shaky, but audio is bootleg superb :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXZ6U-kgJYI

• Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Breakerfall
    I can't decide...

Binaural is such an amazing album. Just listened to Sleight of Hand with my eyes closed. Beautiful.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Thin Air
    As I have made clear, I love this album, but how does Grievance only have 3 votes and Breakerfall, God's Dice, SoH and Parting Ways are the top 4 voted against? Grievance is a great rocker, but lyrically and musically a step below most of those 4. I call it about equal with God's Dice.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Grievance
    tbergs said:

As I have made clear, I love this album, but how does Grievance only have 3 votes and Breakerfall, God's Dice, SoH and Parting Ways are the top 4 voted against? Grievance is a great rocker, but lyrically and musically a step below most of those 4. I call it about equal with God's Dice.

Agree, disappoints me to see Breakerfall going out in Round 2.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,527
    Grievance
    It was this or Insignificance..
    SAVE PARTING WAYS!!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Thin Air
    23scidoo said:

SAVE PARTING WAYS!!!!

You have chosen....wisely :) I feel my vote will come down to saving Parting Ways or Thin Air this round. Neither should go, but....
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,527
    Grievance
    tbergs said:

23scidoo said:

SAVE PARTING WAYS!!!!

You have chosen....wisely :) I feel my vote will come down to saving Parting Ways or Thin Air this round. Neither should go, but....
    Or SOH..do it!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    Of The Girl
    MedozK said:

tbergs said:

Agree, disappoints me to see Breakerfall going out in Round 2.
    I love Breakerfall. But like Grievance even more, I think it is a great song. A good rocker as mentioned, which to me, makes it a better song than those I can't get that into like SOH, even if it has better lyrics.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    Sleight Of Hand
    tbergs said:

I think the difference is grievance is a great live song that everyone rocks out to...the others not so much. I absolutely love parting ways but I admit that the masses find it pretty boring.
    I always thought the lyrics to breakerfall were really corny. I could never get over "it's like she lost an invitation to the party on earth."
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Sleight Of Hand

mcgruff10 said:

Agree!

I'm going to replace one letter in your sentence that usually resonates with the masses at shows: Gods Dice is the definition of a setlist killer.

Bullshit. Awesome song. If God's Dice is a setlist killer you must think the same about Hail Hail
    no comparison. hail hail is spectacular live.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Gods' Dice
    Why is everything about what it sounds like live? We're voting weakest link on the album, not weakest link played live.
  • Options
    Sleight Of Hand

Why is everything about what it sounds like live? We're voting weakest link on the album, not weakest link played live.

I always think about how songs translate live. That's just me.
    I don't travel across the u.s. and to different countries to hear a studio album. ;)
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Parting Ways
    mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

I think the difference is grievance is a great live song that everyone rocks out to...the others not so much. I absolutely love parting ways but I admit that the masses find it pretty boring.
    I always thought the lyrics to breakerfall were really corny. I could never get over "it's like she lost an invitation to the party on earth."
    I have to agree about Breakerfall's lyrics. I wince every time I hear that line.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sleight Of Hand
    mcgruff10 said:

tbergs said:

I've said this before (probably multiple times) but Parting Ways should go into rotation with Indifference and YLB as a regular show closer. I can appreciate how some might think it brings down the intensity when placed in the middle of the set (although it was recently used in the acoustic section, no?) but that "driftin' away" would absolutely be a killer way to end a concert.
  • Options
    Sleight Of Hand
    mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Agree!

Hail Hail is one of the band's greatest straight ahead rockers. Right up there with songs like Animal and Corduroy. I absolutely love it and I don't think the rockets on Binaural come close to it.
  • Options
    Sleight Of Hand
    rummy said:

mcgruff10 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Agree!

Hail Hail is one of the band's greatest straight ahead rockers. Right up there with songs like Animal and Corduroy. I absolutely love it and I don't think the rockets on Binaural come close to it.
    you can't even come close to comparing no code to binaural, not even in the same league.
    And I agree with you on parting ways being a spectacular set closer.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Gods' Dice
    mcgruff10 said:

I always think about how songs translate live. That's just me.
    I don't travel across the u.s. and to different countries to hear a studio album. ;)
    Yeah, I'm right there with ya. But for the purpose of these contests, it just seems to me we should be voting on studio tracks since we're voting the weakest links on the album. A weak album song doesn't necessarily mean a weak live track and vice versa. No biggie, it's all just good, light-hearted fun!
  • Options
    whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    mcgruff10 said:

you can't even come close to comparing no code to binaural, not even in the same league

I really wish you'd stop making comments like this. It offers nothing to the conversation. Maybe it ends there for you, and that's fine, but we're six albums into this. You should know that not everyone is going to agree with you by now. I ignored it when you tried to single me out with a comment like this before, but this is Binaural and I won't have it.
  • Options
    Sleight Of Hand

mcgruff10 said:

you can't even come close to comparing no code to binaural, not even in the same league

I really wish you'd stop making comments like this. It offers nothing to the conversation. Maybe it ends there for you, and that's fine, but we're six albums into this. You should know that not everyone is going to agree with you by now. I ignored it when you tried to single me out with a comment like this before, but this is Binaural and I won't have it.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything...just making conversation. I thought binaural was a very weak follow up to yield and it never translated well live. There's definitely some gems on binaural but I never got into it even after seeing pj 7 times in 2000. So to me binaural isn't even remotely close to no code.
This discussion has been closed.