Options

Trump Signs Anti-Planned Parenthood Law

13»

Comments

• Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I like Planned Parenthood and all it stands for.
    I agree with States being responsible and not the Federal Gov't.
    Therefore, I agree with this decision.
    I live in NY, and I am fine with our Governor deciding to pay for PP through my tax dollars. I don't believe if most Iowans (example only) don't agree we should take that money from them to finance NY's greater need.

Yeah, that's rational, but people who need care will not have access to it in Iowa because people who have access think they know what's best for everyone else.
    Trump has yet to shut down State borders. And, let's not pick on Iowa as it was just a random example.

But, if someone in a State doesn't have something another State does, they can move. Causes other ripple effect problems for States that do, but so be it. That's part of the decision. This happens with lots of stuff that effect individual's access to care and other rights too numerous to list.

Heck, my local school taxes help NYC schools to the detriment of my local school district. Now THAT bothers me. But, I continue to live here. So, it must not bother me too much.
    That's realistic, a person can't afford medical care but they can afford to move to another state so they can get medical care.
    exactly.
    I think you both missed the point. I remember why I stopped posting in these parts. Have a great day!
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I like Planned Parenthood and all it stands for.
    I agree with States being responsible and not the Federal Gov't.
    Therefore, I agree with this decision.
    I live in NY, and I am fine with our Governor deciding to pay for PP through my tax dollars. I don't believe if most Iowans (example only) don't agree we should take that money from them to finance NY's greater need.

Yeah, that's rational, but people who need care will not have access to it in Iowa because people who have access think they know what's best for everyone else.
    Trump has yet to shut down State borders. And, let's not pick on Iowa as it was just a random example.

But, if someone in a State doesn't have something another State does, they can move. Causes other ripple effect problems for States that do, but so be it. That's part of the decision. This happens with lots of stuff that effect individual's access to care and other rights too numerous to list.

Heck, my local school taxes help NYC schools to the detriment of my local school district. Now THAT bothers me. But, I continue to live here. So, it must not bother me too much.
    That's realistic, a person can't afford medical care but they can afford to move to another state so they can get medical care.
    exactly.
    I think you both missed the point. I remember why I stopped posting in these parts. Have a great day!
    What point was that? You stated very clearly that if she didnt like her coverage, she could move. Its a preposterous suggestion.

"My car broke down, and i cant afford to fix it"
    "So buy a bus"
    *Scratches head*
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited April 2017

Second question since no one answered the first one...

Because I do not know I am asking:

Can't a woman get an abortion at a hospital or is it a specialized procedure?

In general, a woman can't just walk into a hospital and randomly request an abortion. She would need to consult with an Ob/Gyn who has privileges at a hospital and she would schedule it in advance with that doctor, if she can find a doctor who performs abortions. Many doctors choose not to perform abortions at all. Many hospitals also have a policy against performing them.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015

In general, a woman can't just walk into a hospital and randomly request an abortion. She would need to consult with an Ob/Gyn who has privileges at a hospital and she would schedule it in advance with that doctor, if she can find a doctor who performs abortions. Many doctors choose not to perform abortions at all. Many hospitals also have a policy against performing them.
    My other part of this question is there has to be other places to be able to get an abortion and not just at a planned parenthood?
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    edited May 2017

My other part of this question is there has to be other places to be able to get an abortion and not just at a planned parenthood?
    Depending on what state you live in there are many women's health clinics.
  • Options

Thanks.

I'm just trying to figure out IF PPH were closed could a woman still get care from another source. I am seeing that she could.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826

Thanks.

I'm just trying to figure out IF PPH were closed could a woman still get care from another source. I am seeing that she could.
    Depends on where you live. In some areas there may be literally no other option.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Thanks.

Depends on where you live. In some areas there may be literally no other option.
    http://thefederalist.com/2015/09/28/fact-check-yes-women-can-go-elsewhere-if-planned-parenthood-closes/
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/17/planned-parenthood-congress-wisconsin-texas
    https://www.plannedparenthoodaction.org/blog/what-happens-if-planned-parenthood-is-defunded-look-at-texas-devastating-results
    http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/healthcare/316162-women-deserve-better-than-planned-parenthood-i-know-i-worked

All interesting reads. The first one says that Texas closing them was a good thing and the next one written 2 years later discusses negative effects of them closing.

What else I've been reading is woman stop getting care if the clinic, PPH closes. They just stop getting looked after.

I'll read more articles later. This has more layers than I first thought.
  • Options

Thanks.

I can't speak for the entire United States, only from my own experience. I had an abortion a long time ago. There was only one clinic in my city. After seeing my own doctor, who refused to help and begged me to change my mind, I called a handful of other doctors, because I really wanted my abortion to be part of my comprehensive health care within an established relationship with a doctor -- a reasonable idea, don't you think? Three different doctors refused service. That was the first shock.

I gave up and scheduled an appointment at the one clinic, which to my driving friend's surprise, had police protection at the entrance. Why is there a cop here, she so naively asked? Duh, so I don't get shot on the way in. Once inside, I had to go through a whole ridiculous process because of all the regulations the state had imposed to burden women into changing their minds. Day 1 visit: get a pregnancy test even though I already knew I was pregnant (but fine, I could see medically why they had to confirm). Then I was forced to undergo a completely wasteful ultrasound for no purpose at all except to force me to see the picture and hear the heartbeat because the dicks want to play this psychological game. Then I was forced to sit through a one hour reading session about all the things that could go wrong, basically how I could die from serious complications, etc.. I literally was told that I had to spend an hour with the booklet or the doctor could not perform the abortion, even though it only took me 10 minutes to read the damn scare tactic booklet. Then I was sent home for the "24 hour waiting period," while I suppose the state prayed I would change my mind and not go back. Upon my return the next day (another day of missed work), I was forced to sit through a "group counseling" session with five other women I had never met and a random social worker. I was required to say at my turn in the circle how many abortions I've already had (none) and why I was terminating my pregnancy (none of your fucking business). The social worker's job was to compile statistics and turn them over to the state. It had nothing to do with "counseling."

After all that, FINALLY the doctor saw me and performed the procedure. Three days later, I had to return for a follow up pregnancy test. The entire rest of the process was humiliating and emotionally exhausting during an already horrific time in my life. I resent the patronizing fact that I could not work with a doctor privately to obtain medical care. I resent being treated like someone who can't be trusted ro make up her own mind about whether or not to reproduce. It was the most disgusting attempt at state control over my body, and if you haven't been through it, you have no idea.

So you need to completely reject this "abortion on demand" myth. No, for most women, it's not just a matter of finding a clinic besides PP after they're shut down. Anyone who has had an abortion in MOST states -- look up all the restrictions everywhere -- knows that it is not an easy medical procedure to acquire, not because it needs to be hard, but because of all the assholes who want to make it hard on purpose. If men were the ones who carried our babies, none of this would happen because MEN WOULD NEVER PUT UP WITH THIS BULLSHIT. There would be abortion shops on every corner, guaranteed, if men were responsible for gestation.
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    Wow. That is goddamnridiculous.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options

Thanks.

I can't speak for the entire United States, only from my own experience. I had an abortion a long time ago. There was only one clinic in my city. After seeing my own doctor, who refused to help and begged me to change my mind, I called a handful of other doctors, because I really wanted my abortion to be part of my comprehensive health care within an established relationship with a doctor -- a reasonable idea, don't you think? Three different doctors refused service. That was the first shock.

I gave up and scheduled an appointment at the one clinic, which to my driving friend's surprise, had police protection at the entrance. Why is there a cop here, she so naively asked? Duh, so I don't get shot on the way in. Once inside, I had to go through a whole ridiculous process because of all the regulations the state had imposed to burden women into changing their minds. Day 1 visit: get a pregnancy test even though I already knew I was pregnant (but fine, I could see medically why they had to confirm). Then I was forced to undergo a completely wasteful ultrasound for no purpose at all except to force me to see the picture and hear the heartbeat because the dicks want to play this psychological game. Then I was forced to sit through a one hour reading session about all the things that could go wrong, basically how I could die from serious complications, etc.. I literally was told that I had to spend an hour with the booklet or the doctor could not perform the abortion, even though it only took me 10 minutes to read the damn scare tactic booklet. Then I was sent home for the "24 hour waiting period," while I suppose the state prayed I would change my mind and not go back. Upon my return the next day (another day of missed work), I was forced to sit through a "group counseling" session with five other women I had never met and a random social worker. I was required to say at my turn in the circle how many abortions I've already had (none) and why I was terminating my pregnancy (none of your fucking business). The social worker's job was to compile statistics and turn them over to the state. It had nothing to do with "counseling."

After all that, FINALLY the doctor saw me and performed the procedure. Three days later, I had to return for a follow up pregnancy test. The entire rest of the process was humiliating and emotionally exhausting during an already horrific time in my life. I resent the patronizing fact that I could not work with a doctor privately to obtain medical care. I resent being treated like someone who can't be trusted ro make up her own mind about whether or not to reproduce. It was the most disgusting attempt at state control over my body, and if you haven't been through it, you have no idea.

So you need to completely reject this "abortion on demand" myth. No, for most women, it's not just a matter of finding a clinic besides PP after they're shut down. Anyone who has had an abortion in MOST states -- look up all the restrictions everywhere -- knows that it is not an easy medical procedure to acquire, not because it needs to be hard, but because of all the assholes who want to make it hard on purpose. If men were the ones who carried our babies, none of this would happen because MEN WOULD NEVER PUT UP WITH THIS BULLSHIT. There would be abortion shops on every corner, guaranteed, if men were responsible for gestation.
    Thanks for sharing. Very brave of you to share.
  • Options

Thanks.

Brutal.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

Thanks.

I can't imagine how powerless and violated you must have felt through that. how disgusting.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Thank you for your kindness. I don't expect an award for bravery or perseverance. I just want people to be aware how incredibly difficult it can be for women to access abortion services. Every new rule on the books has serious consequences for real women who are already struggling. Nobody should tolerate these discriminatory practices against women's health services. I just can't believe in 2017 we're still dealing with this shit.

• Options
    Bring back the Planned Parenthood T-shirts!  It’s time to raise money again.  Now more than ever!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,776
    Second question since no one answered the first one... Because I do not know I am asking: Can't a woman get an abortion at a hospital or is it a specialized procedure?
    quite a lot of hospitals are religiously affiliated. catholic and methodist are the two dominant in my town. osu is a state school so....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14