Options

NHL Announces that its players will NOT participate in the 2018 Winter Olympics

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
:frowning: That SUCKS!
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    booooo!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I dislike the NHL players in the olympics. It has been a dud every time it has been in the other hemisphere. There has been 2 good ones since it started in 1998: 2002, and 2010. The quality of hockey really isn't that great.

On the NHL side, they shut down the season for 2 weeks +, then cram the schedule in... plus the best players are risking injury and fatigue right before the stretch-run to the playoffs.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    i'm torn, but leaning towards this being good news. the league shutting down for weeks upon end is ridiculous. not a fan of sending your team's very best to a tourney as competitive as the Olympics where the risk of injury is highly probable.

how do you justify your best going down with a season ending injury in a tournament they didn't have to participate in? tough pill to swallow for the teams making a run for the playoffs.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I think Olympic hockey without NHL players is basically pointless. They may as well cancel hockey all together. I have nothing at all against amateur hockey, but the Olympics are simply about the BEST in the world competing. With hockey, a grand majority of the best players in the world are, of course, in the NHL. I don't watch Olympic hockey to see those who are not good enough for the NHL play each other. It defies the point of the Games IMO.
    I'm saying that as someone who doesn't mind the NHL shutting down for 3 weeks at all. I think Olympic hockey has been well worth the break. As for player injuries... I think that risk should be left up to the players. I know, I get why the NHL isn't into that risk... I just think that the national competition is worth it, and wish they felt the same way. I know a lot of the players do. Many NHL players are VERY pro-Olympics, from what I've read.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    rival. said:

i'm torn, but leaning towards this being good news. the league shutting down for weeks upon end is ridiculous. not a fan of sending your team's very best to a tourney as competitive as the Olympics where the risk of injury is highly probable.

how do you justify your best going down with a season ending injury in a tournament they didn't have to participate in? tough pill to swallow for the teams making a run for the playoffs.

If it makes you feel better.... think of the games in Turin, Sochi, or even Nagano. Even Salt Lake wasnt that good other than Canada and US ended up in the GMG. Only the Vancouver tournament was good.

I would much rather see the World Cup grow
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Walking away from the best way to advertise the league. S-M-R-T

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcGQpjCztgA
  • Options
    This means Russia will be early favorites because you know the KHL is shutting down for sure. Ovechkin's owner is letting him go. Putin needs his gold.
  • Options
    The Russians will still blow it
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    MayDay10 said:

rival. said:

If it makes you feel better.... think of the games in Turin, Sochi, or even Nagano. Even Salt Lake wasnt that good other than Canada and US ended up in the GMG. Only the Vancouver tournament was good.

The World Cup of hockey is a joke. I completely get why owners don't want the players in the Olympics and shutting down the league for 2-3 weeks sucks, but let's not act like this world cup nonsense is going to be a similar competition to the Olympics.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    This will probably make a big difference.
  • Options

MayDay10 said:

rival. said:

The World Cup of hockey is a joke. I completely get why owners don't want the players in the Olympics and shutting down the league for 2-3 weeks sucks, but let's not act like this world cup nonsense is going to be a similar competition to the Olympics.
    This past world cup wasnt good. Some growing pains. Lots of room for improvement.

However... the 1987 and 1996 world cups were better than any of the 5 NHL- stocked olympics.
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    I'm torn....... I love having the best in the Olympics, but as already pointed out, the 3 week break is ridiculous, as is the risk of injury (these NHL clubs pay these players a $hit ton of money, far too much to get injured playing for someone else)

I'm w/ Mayday, I hope the WC can grow into something better if this is the route they're going to take.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    blame the IOC ... those corrupt greedy leeches make spoiled entitled professional athletes look like richie cunningham ...
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

rival. said:

This past world cup wasnt good. Some growing pains. Lots of room for improvement.

However... the 1987 and 1996 world cups were better than any of the 5 NHL- stocked olympics.
    I don't remember those world cups, but it's hard for me to see the players or fans (besides Canada) really caring about a preseason tournament. I mean, this past tournament had a North America 23 and under team...what the hell was that??? It's just silly.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    inadvertently, the young team became the most captivating aspect of the tournament... I thought it was silly too, but that team was exciting and played like hockey should be...

As far as teams caring about a preseason tournament:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSnWFbxGlks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqMdxKrfSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6qMNv3yS6I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE5gN2SIuMg
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    The ’96 World Cup was one of the most exciting sporting events I ever witnessed. I say that as a hockey fan, not as an American or Rangers fan (RICHTER!). I love watching players that are normally teammates go head to head in such a physical tournament. Seeing Richter/Leetch go head to head against Graves/Messier was awesome. And you can say that about any other NHL teammate pairing. I remember Kasparaitis being a complete wrecking ball that entire tournament, hitting players through the glass, dropping the gloves, loved it.

BUT, that came at a time when the NHL was able to market the World Cup appropriately (they did a terrible job with the latest WC… I don’t think I watched one game) and was before the season started and didn’t require a 3-4 week shutdown.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I like it. The Olympics are supposed to be about amateur athletes. Get the pros out of there!
  • Options
    Ovechkin has confirmed he is playing in the Olympics. It will be interesting to see how many other players follow suit.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327

MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

rival. said:

I don't remember those world cups, but it's hard for me to see the players or fans (besides Canada) really caring about a preseason tournament. I mean, this past tournament had a North America 23 and under team...what the hell was that??? It's just silly.
    to be honest, having a team under 23 was amazing. its get to show the future of the nhl and it amazing players. I didn't think I was going to be a fan of the world cup but after watching 1 game I was hooked but I am aso from Canada so maybe its just in my genes.
  • Options

I like it. The Olympics are supposed to be about amateur athletes. Get the pros out of there!

I agree but the major issue is what do you consider amatuer. in the past especially with hockey, they only considered the NHL professional but now you have so many leagues around the world that the word amatuer has kindof lost in meaning
  • Options
    fife said:

MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

rival. said:

to be honest, having a team under 23 was amazing. its get to show the future of the nhl and it amazing players. I didn't think I was going to be a fan of the world cup but after watching 1 game I was hooked but I am aso from Canada so maybe its just in my genes.
    Oh yeah, it was cool to see all those young kids playing together. But it's just hard to take an international tournament seriously when one of the teams has guys from US and Canada.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346

This is exactly what I was thinking.
    NYPJ
  • Options

fife said:

MayDay10 said:

MayDay10 said:

rival. said:

Oh yeah, it was cool to see all those young kids playing together. But it's just hard to take an international tournament seriously when one of the teams has guys from US and Canada.
    ok i get it and I agree. i just don't know how you showcase your players if some of your young stars are not playing and the world cup at the end of the day is about selling your players and game. lets be honest, only Canada can have a great under 23 team.
  • Options
    Professionals will still be playing in the Olympics. This just stops non-russian NHL players.
  • Options
    wall232 said:

This is exactly what I was thinking.
    But that isn't the result of this. Professionals will still be playing. They just won't be the best professionals in the world.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    great news!
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    fife said:

I agree but the major issue is what do you consider amatuer. in the past especially with hockey, they only considered the NHL professional but now you have so many leagues around the world that the word amatuer has kindof lost in meaning
    Yeah, therein lies the issue. What's pro and what's amateur? Compare it with tennis, for example. Tennis players often turn pro at 15 or 16, which I'd consider to be less than amateur for hockey.