Donald Trump

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mrussel1 said:
    The little girl is a symbol of the overall issue.  It's not meant to be literal to this little girl or to Trump.  He obviously didn't see her or look at her, so by that narrow definition, both images are "fake".  But no one ever thought they came face to face, did they?  I'm sure no one is arguing that there aren't actual separations happening.  
    True...BUT...it will now just be another Fake News item to Trump and his supporters.  The media HAS to be smarter than this.  Way to take away from the conversation.  Nevermind the thousands that were separated from their parents...it'll only be "See Fake News, that girl wasn't separated"

Sensational journalism sucks.
    yes, this will only give more fodder to his base.  
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Nobody should give a fuck about his base. Ignore them.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    I don't think there's any angle to this story that helps Trump.  They want it out of the news cycle as quickly as possible.  I don't see him tweeting "That girl with me on the the cover of TIME was NOT separated... FAKE!".  In other words, I don't see him calling attention to the magazine.  I don't think it's helpful.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  I know I wouldn't do it.  But it is "Opposite Day" according to my youngest.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't think there's any angle to this story that helps Trump.  They want it out of the news cycle as quickly as possible.  I don't see him tweeting "That girl with me on the the cover of TIME was NOT separated... FAKE!".  In other words, I don't see him calling attention to the magazine.  I don't think it's helpful.  If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.  I know I wouldn't do it.  But it is "Opposite Day" according to my youngest.  
    Yeah but it adds more fuel to the fire.  His supporters will support him even more (and maybe take a few people on the fence with him) and Trump will continue the fake news angle now with evidence.  The media has to be smarter than this.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    dignin said:
    No. It's much smarter to try and decipher why half of the fucking country thinks and feels the way they do. Before it becomes more than half of the country. And then maybe 2/3 of the country. And then maybe 3/4 of the county. And before you know it, we're all living in an Orwell novel. Mind you, that's the worst possible scenario. But that could be the fate of people like yourself that just want to ignore things that, while they might upset or annoy you, are real and dangerous and should be treated as such. Not ignored.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Not to mention she was likely separated and later reunified, especially once she became a lightning rod... everybody was separated, it was a zero tolerance blanket  policy that everybody fell under... I saw on the news this morning that 300 have been reunited so far

And as Halifax pointed out, the father really has no clue

dignin said:
    ignoring them will allow them to grow. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dignin said:
    Correct.  I've said it before, the democrats have to get their head out of their asses or else 2020 will be another Trump victory.
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Correct.  I've said it before, the democrats have to get their head out of their asses or else 2020 will be another Trump victory.
    What's the rush? Why provide them/him with an enemy they can attack with propaganda and brainwash their voters.... 

I'm completely fine with the Democrats strategy... let them own this pile of shit for a while... your strategy would be a politcal mistake... you see he tries to blame dems for his insane policies already.... let him own it and go down with the ship
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    What's the rush? Why provide them/him with an enemy they can attack with propaganda and brainwash their voters.... 

I'm completely fine with the Democrats strategy... let them own this pile of shit for a while... your strategy would be a politcal mistake... you see he tries to blame dems for his insane policies already.... let him own it and go down with the ship
    I'm back and forth on this. I'm not sure if it's such a great strategy to have no obvious front runner to lead. on the other hand, it makes it harder for trump to attack when there's no one specific. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:

I'm back and forth on this. I'm not sure if it's such a great strategy to have no obvious front runner to lead. on the other hand, it makes it harder for trump to attack when there's no one specific. 
    The election is 29 months away... what's the rush? Why give them a target to demonize? The democratic nominee will be decided in the primaries 
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:

The election is 29 months away... what's the rush? Why give them a target to demonize? The democratic nominee will be decided in the primaries 
    yeah, totally, that's why i go back and forth. I'm just wondering if maybe it will take that long to convince the public to get behind the next democratic leader. or to just fucking vote FFS. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:

Do we have any frontrunners yet?  People around here talk about Cory Booker (Senator NJ) making a run.
    dignin said:
    No. It's much smarter to try and decipher why half of the fucking country thinks and feels the way they do. Before it becomes more than half of the country. And then maybe 2/3 of the country. And then maybe 3/4 of the county. And before you know it, we're all living in an Orwell novel. Mind you, that's the worst possible scenario. But that could be the fate of people like yourself that just want to ignore things that, while they might upset or annoy you, are real and dangerous and should be treated as such. Not ignored.
    Nah. Look at how many people voted for him and how many people didn't vote. It's not half the country. His numbers have been stable for awhile now, no surge in support. Ignore his deplorable base, they are a cult, they are beyond reach. If the democrats can identify their voters and get them out to vote they have enough support to throw Trump out of office. 

Forget about his base, they are way too far gone. It's a waste of time.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Nah. Look at how many people voted for him and how many people didn't vote. It's not half the country. His numbers have been stable for awhile now, no surge in support. Ignore his deplorable base, they are a cult, they are beyond reach. If the democrats can identify their voters and get them out to vote they have enough support to throw Trump out of office. 

I disagree. Similar to how understanding the Confederacy is important to the overall understanding of America, so is the case with Trump fans.

And I have to ask, do you ever interact with Trump fans? You talk about them being "deplorable," "a cult," and "way too far gone" but that's a pretty general characterization for millions of people. Hell, in the office right next to mine is a girl who is completely normal, polite, good mother, etc, and she supports Trump. She isn't "way too far gone" where she can't someday see the light.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Anyone who has worked on a campaign knows that if you knock on a door and the person answers and tells you they hate your candidate you say thanks and move on. You work to identify your voters and make sure they vote....you do not waste your time trying to convince the other side over to your side. How well does that work here in the AMT? Very few people change their mind.

If the democrats try and dissect and figure out what makes the Trump voter tick....they will be wasting their time and will lose the election.

Energy and resources are better spent on your voters.
    edited June 2018
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

I disagree. Similar to how understanding the Confederacy is important to the overall understanding of America, so is the case with Trump fans.

And I have to ask, do you ever interact with Trump fans? You talk about them being "deplorable," "a cult," and "way too far gone" but that's a pretty general characterization for millions of people. Hell, in the office right next to mine is a girl who is completely normal, polite, good mother, etc, and she supports Trump. She isn't "way too far gone" where she can't someday see the light.
    If she hasn't bailed on him yet she is all in, don't waste your time. Find the person or persons in your office who don't normally vote and don't agree with Trump and drag them out to vote. Time better spent.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    dignin said:
    Anyone who has worked on a campaign knows that if you knock on a door and the person answers and tells you they hate your candidate you say thanks and move on. You work to identify your voters and make sure they vote....you do not waste your time trying to convince the other side over to your side. How well does that work here in the AMT? Very few people change their mind.

If the democrats try and dissect and figure out what makes the Trump voter tick....they will be wasting their time and will lose the election.

Energy and resources are better spent on your voters.
    But it's not just a matter of getting votes or convincing people to vote your way. WHY are people (Trump fans) thinking the way they're thinking or feeling the way they're feeling? It has to be more than they're all simply "deplorable" or "racist" or whatever. Even if Trump loses in 2020, his fans will begin searching for the next Trump. The way politicians like Cruz or Rubio kept referencing Ronald Reagan in their campaigns, 30 years from now, politicians may be referencing Trump ("Just as the great President Trump used to say...."). So there's a lot of things in play and to simply ignore them is such a short-sighted thing to say that you sound like someone from Hillary's campaign team.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

I have interacted with plenty of Trump supporters because it's pretty much my whole extended family. They are much like the person you described, but if you ever break the surface level conversation, it's full on crazy. Is my family deplorable? No, they don't support the KKK or white supremacy, but they definitely use racial slurs and think less of other cultures. I can't stand it. Outside my family I don't know any Trump supporters on a personal level, so I can't speak to the prevalence of a similar mindset. Although, I see and hear enough talk from all my neighbors to know that at least the middle class Trump supporters all seem the same.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    I saw a good interview on the news this morning of a crawfish fisherman down in LA.  He voted for tRump due to all the promises tRump made.  The bayou that he fishes has been greatly affected by pipelines that have been run through the area.  Apparently tRump made some promises that he would help them keep the area flooded to increase the crawfish population.  

That hasn't happened.  

The interviewer asked "has tRump done anything to help your situation" and the guy replies "not yet" like he still expects it to happen.

slugs for salt
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    Isn't there a men's movement of "never been kissed" who they might find available? I recall there's a whole web-base of pissed off males because they can't get a date. Quick, make an app and get rich. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Sane people not wanting to date racist idiots. How weird.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Weird. And here I would have thought it was because people only have so many cousins.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Can someone agree with his fiscal policies and not be a racist or you are painting 61 million people as racist?

Also do you even live here?
    edited June 2018
    Can someone agree with his fiscal policies and not be a racist or you are painting 61 million people as racist?

Voting for him is supporting racism at least yes. And lack of morals, empathy and/or being dumb - as voting for him due to "fiscal policies" would demand.

No, I do not. Why would that matter?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

Voting for him is supporting racism at least yes. And lack of morals, empathy and/or being dumb - as voting for him due to "fiscal policies" would demand.

I was curious.  

So 61 million that voted for him are racist, got it.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Isn't there a men's movement of "never been kissed" who they might find available? I recall there's a whole web-base of pissed off males because they can't get a date. Quick, make an app and get rich. 
    I think you are talking about "Incels" or something like that.  They are "involuntary celibates", essentially a bunch of losers who lurk on certain boards and proclaim that women should be subservient to men, blah blah blah.  The idiot who killed the people in Canada was an incel.  They also tend to be Trump supporters, surprisingly enough.  

I was curious.  

So 61 million that voted for him are racist, got it.
    I wrote "supporting racism" cutiepie.
This discussion has been closed.