Options

Ed should watch Jeff Tweedy's "Sunken Treasure-Live in the Pacific Northwest" DVD...

aspoonfulweighsatonaspoonfulweighsaton Posts: 1,985
edited February 2008 in The Porch
to see how it's done.

That is how to go from being the central figure of an amazing collective unit to doing it all by yourself.

Of course I wouldn't expect Ed to have the stage presence and confidence that Jeff has only because he's been doing solo shows for 10 years, but I think it would be a great point of reference.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I think Eddie will do even better... He has his own life-long experiance performing, we all know he's pretty good at it :)
  • Options
    Jeff Tweedy is an AMAZING solo performer.

When Eddie's solo tour was announced, Tweedy's shows are what came to my mind right away.

Just a man, his voice, and a variety of guitars (with a few guests every now and then)...THAT'S what Eddie's shows should be.

I think Eddie could do a beautiful job as a solo performer. The only thing that could hold him back is that he is not nearly as talented with a guitar as Jeff Tweedy is.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    I think Ed would do well if he modeled his performances after Bruce Springsteen's solo shows, in intent if not sound. What made those Devils and Dust shows the best solo performances I've ever seen was that Bruce didn't limit himself to guitar, mic and harmonica. He experimented with different electric guitars, piano, distorting his voice till it was nearly incomprehensible. He did all these wildly inventive re-interpretations of his own songs, which made the shows very exciting, more so than I think a simple guitar and microphone performance would be. Eddie will be out there for two hours; I think he's gotta find ways to vary what he plays and how he plays, and Bruce was great at that.
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    I'm sorry, buy his voice alone is way more haunting and captivating
  • Options
    soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    I haven't had the chance to see solo Jeff in person, but I love that DVD as well as all the audio recordings I've heard from his solo performances. He was also tons of fun when I finally got to see Wilco last year. I can't imagine any other musician who could do it as well as he does.

But then Jeff is my favorite singer, songwriter and musical personality, so I'll admit to being biased. I'd MUCH rather see one of his shows rather than Eddie's, but that's a personal preference.
  • Options
    Even as a Wilco fan, I never really realized how great of a singer and guitarist Jeff Tweedy was until I saw him play solo.
    Eric
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    NERDS!
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i love that...haha. huge fan of jeff tweedy.
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    Great DVD. Tough one to beat too..
  • Options

"Freebird? Is that what I heard?" = Classic.
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    my friend just lent me this dvd last week now you guys make me want to watch it at 12:30 am..shit
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb