Options

Poll--The Weakest Link: Vitalogy, Round 3

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,017
    Tremor Christ

mcgruff10 said:

I honestly can't say that I think any Pearl Jam song sucks. Yes many I love and many I like. There are even couple that I don't like. However I understand musical and lyrical composition enough and have such tremendous respect for the artists that I personally would never make that statement.

There s plenty of Pearl Jam songs that suck and the band knows it!
    Really? They know it? Do tell. How do you possess that knowledge?

I actually don't think I'd say any of them "suck". As @shetellsherself said, some I don't like.
    I remember Ed saying at a show that Dirty Frank sucks.
    Although, I kinda do like that song. Probably only because I almost never listen to it though.
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,970
    Not For You
    Tough choices from here on out.
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    Tremor Christ
    mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

I honestly can't say that I think any Pearl Jam song sucks. Yes many I love and many I like. There are even couple that I don't like. However I understand musical and lyrical composition enough and have such tremendous respect for the artists that I personally would never make that statement.

I actually don't think I'd say any of them "suck". As @shetellsherself said, some I don't like.
    Although, I kinda do like that song. Probably only because I almost never listen to it though.
    Ed says a lot of things.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Tremor Christ
    JimmyV said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ed says a lot of things.
    True. I just think its funny when people say no Pearl Jam song sucks.
    They've released probably close to 200 songs by now/? It would be just shy of a miracle for none of them to suck. I don't think it would be disrespectful to say that a handful out of 200 are just bad. Most bands cant even put together a "Greatest Hits" album without some crappy fillers. The fact they can record 200 songs and have enough good material to fill a greatest hits album several times over if they wanted is amazing.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,931
    Tremor Christ
    mace1229 said:

JimmyV said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ed says a lot of things.
    They've released probably close to 200 songs by now/? It would be just shy of a miracle for none of them to suck. I don't think it would be disrespectful to say that a handful out of 200 are just bad. Most bands cant even put together a "Greatest Hits" album without some crappy fillers. The fact they can record 200 songs and have enough good material to fill a greatest hits album several times over if they wanted is amazing.
    Oh I don't disagree. There are some stinkers in the mix, for sure.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,046
    Better Man
    Such a good album with so many good songs. Picking one of these to get rid of is like asking me to pick which one of my kids I should get rid of...
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    Tremor Christ
    JimmyV said:

mace1229 said:

JimmyV said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ed says a lot of things.
    Oh I don't disagree. There are some stinkers in the mix, for sure.
    Unfortunately/understandably most of them have come from the past two or three albums.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Tremor Christ
    mace1229 said:

JimmyV said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ed says a lot of things.
    What makes a song suck?
    It's art, and it's subjective.

I can think of some aspects that make a song or band objectively bad (overly simple or repetitive lyrics, conflicting sound arrangements, discordant vocals, formulaic and derivative themes, lack of sonic diversity etc.) and the only Pearl Jam songs that fall into that category are the non-songs like Stupid Mop.
    Dirty Frank isn't a great song, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ed doesn't like it much, but it doesn't suck and I would be surprised if he would say so about that song if someone else wrote it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Tremor Christ
    rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

JimmyV said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ed says a lot of things.
    What makes a song suck?

I can think of some aspects that make a song or band objectively bad (overly simple or repetitive lyrics, conflicting sound arrangements, discordant vocals, formulaic and derivative themes, lack of sonic diversity etc.) and the only Pearl Jam songs that fall into that category are the non-songs like Stupid Mop.
    Dirty Frank isn't a great song, and I wouldn't be surprised if Ed doesn't like it much, but it doesn't suck and I would be surprised if he would say so about that song if someone else wrote it.
    Well, even though it's subjective, if I drew you a picture I'm pretty sure all would agree it sucks.
  • Options
    Tremor Christ
    BSully said:

Such a good album with so many good songs. Picking one of these to get rid of is like asking me to pick which one of my kids I should get rid of...

Actually, come next round, it probably would be easier to ask me which kid to get rid of.
  • Options
    Tremor Christ
    mace1229 said:

BSully said:

Actually, come next round, it probably would be easier to ask me which kid to get rid of.
    When it comes down to it, we all probably have our own favourite or two (songs, not kids) and if one of them is still remaining in the final round, it's an easy choice as to which has to go.

Now if there is indeed a round 5 with just two songs and those two songs happen to be Corduroy and Immortality (which is looking like a good possibility), I'm in trouble.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Tremor Christ
    mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

JimmyV said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ed says a lot of things.
    What makes a song suck?

Well, even though it's subjective, if I drew you a picture I'm pretty sure all would agree it sucks.
    My picture would suck worse! No doubt of it!

There are objective means of assessing the technical proficiency of art, though they are subject to be overridden by more subjective factors.
    My paintings would show terrible brush stroke techniques and idiotic uses of Color, but maybe the abstract value would be worthy to some.

Songs are similar, a song like Dirty Frank can be technically proficient and still not be very well liked, and a song like Wishlist can be devoid of technical proficiency and still be well received.
    The point is that Tremor Christ doesn't suck, objectively, even if it isn't your cup of tea. I would say the same about someone like Def Leopard, but not Beyonce or Florida Georgia Line.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

JimmyV said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ed says a lot of things.
    What makes a song suck?

There are objective means of assessing the technical proficiency of art, though they are subject to be overridden by more subjective factors.
    My paintings would show terrible brush stroke techniques and idiotic uses of Color, but maybe the abstract value would be worthy to some.

Songs are similar, a song like Dirty Frank can be technically proficient and still not be very well liked, and a song like Wishlist can be devoid of technical proficiency and still be well received.
    The point is that Tremor Christ doesn't suck, objectively, even if it isn't your cup of tea. I would say the same about someone like Def Leopard, but not Beyonce or Florida Georgia Line.
    Whereas the latter two, both suck .. proficiently !

At least that's what I got from that...
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,521
    edited March 2017
    Last Exit
    Immortality get zero so far..there is still some brain in our heads..
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Tremor Christ
    rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

rgambs said:

mace1229 said:

JimmyV said:

mace1229 said:

mcgruff10 said:

Ed says a lot of things.
    What makes a song suck?

I want to go home and listen to Dirty Frank now.

"That Dirty Frank is a bad mother...."
    "Watch your mouth!"
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,754
    Immortality
    23scidoo said:

This is only because I am reserving my vote until tomorrow in case I need to vote strategically. Otherwise it would be Immortality all the way. One of my least favorite off the album and all around as well.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    EchoesOnMarsEchoesOnMars Reading, Pennsylvania Posts: 422
    Tremor Christ
    Never cared for this
    Philadelphia 2013 (Night 1)
    Philadelphia 2016 (Night 2)
    Upper Darby 2016 (Night 2) (Temple of the Dog)

• Options
    Tremor Christ

23scidoo said:

This is only because I am reserving my vote until tomorrow in case I need to vote strategically. Otherwise it would be Immortality all the way. One of my least favorite off the album and all around as well.
    How can you vote strategically if you can see the vote totals until you actually vote yourself?
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,521
    Last Exit
    rummy said:

23scidoo said:

How can you vote strategically if you can see the vote totals until you actually vote yourself?
    You can..go to another poll and see..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,754
    Immortality
    rummy said:

23scidoo said:

I have people on the inside. :wink:
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Tremor Christ
    23scidoo said:

rummy said:

23scidoo said:

You can..go to another poll and see..
    The issue here is that whenever I see a poll, I feel the urge to vote. For this reason, I can't seem to find any recent polls that I haven't voted in!

I'll keep looking, I suppose.
  • Options
    Tremor Christ

rummy said:

23scidoo said:

Oh, no! Corruption! ;)
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Tremor Christ

Is Dyer going to wait until last minute to vote again?
    Let's see if it becomes a pattern to break ties.

I'm on Team PJfan this round :smiley:
  • Options
    Tremor Christ

Is Dyer going to wait until last minute to vote again?
    Let's see if it becomes a pattern to break ties.

I'm on Team PJfan this round :smiley:
    Nice to see you smile after voting TC.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,905
    Tremor Christ
    I d Iove to see immortality back in the second set.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Tremor Christ
    I know this poll is based on studio version.
    Don't let this sway your opinion in any way whatsoever.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJU6PuaLoNc
  • Options
    Nothingman

rummy said:

23scidoo said:

Russian friends.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Not For You
    rummy said:

Did they play it?
    And scratched Rival for it.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    Not For You
    Right, the last 1.5 minutes of Tremor Christ is boring. Ed's best screaming vocal before his range left him ever recorded is boring. Right....
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Tremor Christ
    Edit. Not sure if posting songs from the 2000 tour is cool around here so I decided to remove my initial post.
    FWIW: It was just a short playlist that included the nine Vitalogy songs that performed at least once during the 2000 tour - a time when these still very raw but still the band still had time to perfect them. The "seamless" playlist goes like so:
    1. Corduroy (Las Vegas)
    2. Last Exit (Sacramento)
    3. Spin The Black Circle (Seattle 1)
    4. Not For You (Mansfield 2)
    5. Tremor Christ (Memphis)
    6. Nothingman (San Bernardino)
    7. Whipping (Woodlands)
    8. Better Man (Kansas City)
    9. Immortality (Toronto)
    Unfortunately, Satan's Bed wasn't played in 2000.
    Again, I'd be happy to share this if anyone's interested - and am allowed to do so.
    Post edited by rummy on
This discussion has been closed.