Options

Should celebrities avoid talking politics to fans ?

Comments

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    mrussel1 said:

BTW - do you have a list of laws, that in your moral opinion, are okay to break to get your point across? Is there a committee that defined it or are you subscribing to the Ayn Rand Objectivism Philosophy for Anarchists? In other words... you get to choose which laws or okay to break.. I'd love to get that list.

I wouldn't want the man to chill your freedoms by making you follow the law. I think the Bundy Clan made a similar argument.

To clarify: If people break the law (i.e. blocking a freeway) they should be punished according to the letter of the law. It's when the powers that be use the law to pile on additional charges for protesters. Standing in the middle of the highway is already a crime, there shouldn't be additional penalties for exercising your First Amendment Rights whilst standing in the middle of the highway. That is chilling.

Ultimately, it's up to the protester(s) and the weight of the message they want to get across. That's the cost-benefit analysis they are going to have to take.

For example:
    Why should I pay for a street parking meter, when I already pay taxes for the road I'm parking on? I'm not going to sit in the middle of the highway to protest. But I might stick some chewing gum in the credit card slot as protest.

When a couple hundred (thousand?) people have to stand in the middle of the expressway just to get their voices heard, maybe it's time to stop, collaborate and listen.

If the Bundy Clan were serious about their protests, they'd be back occupying the bird sanctuary. Besides, as self-declared sovereign citizens, they're not entitled to the same Constitutional protections everyone else is. They should have been convicted like the domestic terrorists they are.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    CM189191 said:

mrussel1 said:

BTW - do you have a list of laws, that in your moral opinion, are okay to break to get your point across? Is there a committee that defined it or are you subscribing to the Ayn Rand Objectivism Philosophy for Anarchists? In other words... you get to choose which laws or okay to break.. I'd love to get that list.

I wouldn't want the man to chill your freedoms by making you follow the law. I think the Bundy Clan made a similar argument.

To clarify: If people break the law (i.e. blocking a freeway) they should be punished according to the letter of the law. It's when the powers that be use the law to pile on additional charges for protesters. Standing in the middle of the highway is already a crime, there shouldn't be additional penalties for exercising your First Amendment Rights whilst standing in the middle of the highway. That is chilling.

Ultimately, it's up to the protester(s) and the weight of the message they want to get across. That's the cost-benefit analysis they are going to have to take.

For example:
    Why should I pay for a street parking meter, when I already pay taxes for the road I'm parking on? I'm not going to sit in the middle of the highway to protest. But I might stick some chewing gum in the credit card slot as protest.

When a couple hundred (thousand?) people have to stand in the middle of the expressway just to get their voices heard, maybe it's time to stop, collaborate and listen.

If the Bundy Clan were serious about their protests, they'd be back occupying the bird sanctuary. Besides, as self-declared sovereign citizens, they're not entitled to the same Constitutional protections everyone else is. They should have been convicted like the domestic terrorists they are.
    First..which additional first amendment penalties were levied on these protesters? The max penalty for impeding the free movement of others in Virginia is one year in jail. I think the day in jail is pretty lenient and hardly...chilling...

For the Bundy clan, perhaps they weren't serious... I mean only one of them dies in the conflict so probably a big hoot to them.

How about the Richmond BLM protesters? I'm pretty sure they are back in class. Were they serious about their positions? Doesn't appear so... Haven't heard about those cats making any new stands around here. Maybe they just found something else to occupy their time.

Seems like you might just have a different standard based on whether you agree with the issue. For me, I'll condem the BLM, WeatherUnderground, Westoboro Baptist, Bundy Clan or the Anti abortion activists, or anyone else breaking a law to get a point across. Do you support all of them? I hope so.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117

Smellyman said:

Checking in...still talking about protesting......out

they talk about the same shit over and over for months on end. its lunatic behavior. they think they know everything.
    I think the conversations & debates going on around the country are fucking awesome, and ultimately good for the country and all of us.
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    edited March 2017
    my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

they talk about the same shit over and over for months on end. its lunatic behavior. they think they know everything.
    I think the conversations & debates going on around the country are fucking awesome, and ultimately good for the country and all of us.
    i think people that argue every day on the internet are lunatics. Keyboard Heroes.
    Post edited by rustneversleeps on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

i think people that argue every day on the internet are lunatics.
    No, those would be people who argue at the full moon on the internet.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

i think people that argue every day on the internet are lunatics.
    No, those would be people who argue at the full moon on the internet.
    i like those people.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Property damage isn't a part of this discussion man.
    But as for never breaking the law... well, it was illegal for black people to ride at the front of the bus and eat at the diner counter until some people decided to disobey those laws. It wasn't legal for all those people to gather in Clayoquot Sound and block logging trucks, one of the last old growth rainforests in the region would have been clear-cut. And there are literally tens of thousands of other examples where not obeying the law during protest brought real and important change or defended the defenseless. To say that laws shouldn't be broken and being unwilling to budge on that point is exactly the problem I'm worried about here. Once we go black and white in the context of legal vs illegal protests, we're in big trouble.

There is no moral equivalency between the Jim Crow laws and commonsense public safety laws about the interstate. It's not like only black people are prohibited from the highway.
    I wasn't making a moral equivalency.... I was saying that the black and white attitude about law and protest that you have been expressing and that certain politicians are actually purposefully using to suppress protest in a more sinister context is a big problem and shouldn't be touted as the end all and be all when it comes to any protest. Jim Crow is only one obvious example. There are TONS of other examples.... yes, even some where people were blocking traffic! I mean, look at this goof ball, standing right in the middle of the damn street! GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY YOU HIPPY!

=)

The fact of the matter is, a lot of the time, protests don't work unless they do cause at least some degree of chaos or inconvenience and disruption. That is a fact of life. I know it doesn't fit into our modern sense that we have an absolute right to convenience and to do what we want when we want, and how dare anyone stand in our way of everything going smoothly and as planned. But for me, that sense doesn't override the value of passionate protest. Within reason and without violence, that is.
    The big difference to me is that you've got Tienneman Square there.. for obvious reasons that's an extreme example as is Jim Crow. I don't agree with every law on the books (let's start with the death penalty, schedule I drugs, etc.) but our laws are fundamentally equal today. That wasn't the case 50 years ago in the United States. The laws that are being broken are not unfair laws. They aren't Crow, poll taxes, etc. They are public safety laws. I'm not sure I can understand what message is being sent by breaking them. The Woman's March in DC sent a powerful message and it was completely legal, safe, organized, etc. It can be achieved without breaking a law, in the United States.. today.
    Yes, every impactful protest where the laws were being broken is an extreme example I guess. Never mind that extreme examples happen every single day on this planet, and pretty often throughout American history, right up to today. I feel like you are dismissing every single valid example of useful civil disobedience by calling them "Jim Crow-like", as though all those civil rights protests in the USA are irrelevant, even though they are actually some of the most impactful events in American history, and there were tons of them, and their impact are strongly felt today and every day. Well, just how many examples do you need where illegal protests had value, as someone who is fixated on highways being blocked by protestors even though that is actually a rare occurrence?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

But as for never breaking the law... well, it was illegal for black people to ride at the front of the bus and eat at the diner counter until some people decided to disobey those laws. It wasn't legal for all those people to gather in Clayoquot Sound and block logging trucks, one of the last old growth rainforests in the region would have been clear-cut. And there are literally tens of thousands of other examples where not obeying the law during protest brought real and important change or defended the defenseless. To say that laws shouldn't be broken and being unwilling to budge on that point is exactly the problem I'm worried about here. Once we go black and white in the context of legal vs illegal protests, we're in big trouble.

The obvious difference I see with your example is those people were protesting the actual laws themselves.
    If you want to protest for the right to march on the freeway and you believe that to be your constitutional right to do so and you believe anti-pedestrian laws on the freeway discriminate against those not in a car, then by all means march on the freeway.
    Again, this pointless fixation on protests on highways. Big red herring, as someone else already said eloquently. Certain creepy politicians are so happy you have gone along with their anti-protest plan! I'm sure they are patting themselves on the back.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

The obvious difference I see with your example is those people were protesting the actual laws themselves.
    If you want to protest for the right to march on the freeway and you believe that to be your constitutional right to do so and you believe anti-pedestrian laws on the freeway discriminate against those not in a car, then by all means march on the freeway.
    Again, this pointless fixation on protests on highways. Big red herring, as someone else already said eloquently. Certain creepy politicians are so happy you have gone along with their anti-protest plan! I'm sure they are patting themselves on the back.
    I'm fixated on it because that was the point I made and some people took umbrage to THAT specifically. I'm against any laws that seek to pile on penalties because it was done as a protest rather than the normal course of law breaking. In other words, if the normal misdemeanor is "Impeding the freedom of others" which is perfectly legitimate and technically carries a 1 year, 10k misdemeanor max.. if a lawmaker wants to now make it a felony to impede the freedom of others while engaging in a political protest, punishable by 5 years and 50k.. then yes. I would agree that first amendment rights are being specifically targeted and I would certainly stand against it. And I would imagine that it would get challenged as unconstitutional.

The bottom line point I was making was... someone's right to protest (and in this case breaking a law) does not supersede or otherwise give them to the right to negatively affect another individual's personal freedoms or rights.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

This has been mentioned several times. This freeway thing was not brought up by the "anti-protesters." And if my memory serves correct, it was you who brought it up. If not you, someone with the same argument, but pretty sure you.
    I don't see how it is fair to bring up this topic, then say it is a red herring and we are falling into the republican trap for discussing it. If it shouldn't be discussed, then don't bring it up. I still haven't seen a second example of someone's rights being denied.
    That would be like me going to the gun thread, making a ridiculous claim about gun safety that is untrue, then faulting you for responding.

I still don't know where the idea that republicans are anti-protest comes from. I have not heard of examples where anyone is denied the right to protest. The only example given was people were ticketed for blocking a freeway, thus why this whole debate started.

Back to my previous comment. I would agree there are circumstances where breaking the law to protest is appropriate. The only occasions are when the law itself is being protested, like segregation laws and your examples. But breaking a random law, unrelated to what is being protested, and then being held accountable for the broken law is not taking away anyone's right to protest.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

This has been mentioned several times. This freeway thing was not brought up by the "anti-protesters." And if my memory serves correct, it was you who brought it up. If not you, someone with the same argument, but pretty sure you.
    I don't see how it is fair to bring up this topic, then say it is a red herring and we are falling into the republican trap for discussing it. If it shouldn't be discussed, then don't bring it up. I still haven't seen a second example of someone's rights being denied.
    That would be like me going to the gun thread, making a ridiculous claim about gun safety that is untrue, then faulting you for responding.

I still don't know where the idea that republicans are anti-protest comes from. I have not heard of examples where anyone is denied the right to protest. The only example given was people were ticketed for blocking a freeway, thus why this whole debate started.

Back to my previous comment. I would agree there are circumstances where breaking the law to protest is appropriate. The only occasions are when the law itself is being protested, like segregation laws and your examples. But breaking a random law, unrelated to what is being protested, and then being held accountable for the broken law is not taking away anyone's right to protest.
    Let me flip sides here.. to what I do agree with, from my friends further left of center of me. One part of the discussion was about piling on laws aimed at protesting. I kind of think of it as RICO type law stuff. You try to stuff as many penalties into an action as possible, forcing plea deals or long prison sentences. It's why our incarceration rate is so high in this country (among other reasons).
    I would be vehemently against law that take the same action but increases the penalty if occurring while a person is exercising the right to free speech. Here is a pretty hard left summary, so do your own research, but it is true that the objective is to make things more punitive on protesters.
    https://theintercept.com/2017/01/19/republican-lawmakers-in-five-states-propose-bills-to-criminalize-peaceful-protest/
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    mrussel1 said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Let me flip sides here.. to what I do agree with, from my friends further left of center of me. One part of the discussion was about piling on laws aimed at protesting. I kind of think of it as RICO type law stuff. You try to stuff as many penalties into an action as possible, forcing plea deals or long prison sentences. It's why our incarceration rate is so high in this country (among other reasons).
    I would be vehemently against law that take the same action but increases the penalty if occurring while a person is exercising the right to free speech. Here is a pretty hard left summary, so do your own research, but it is true that the objective is to make things more punitive on protesters.
    https://theintercept.com/2017/01/19/republican-lawmakers-in-five-states-propose-bills-to-criminalize-peaceful-protest/
    I read that article, thought it was pretty lame. Right off the bat you tell it is bias from the title, and the description of the laws are misleading. It says they are trying to pass a law that would allow drivers to run over freeway protesters. That is just not true. It just wont hold the diver criminally responsible and charge them with criminal negligence if they accidentally run over a protester on the freeway, like you can if you accidentally run over a pedestrian in a residential street. Seems totally reasonable to me.
    One thing I would not agree with is the year in jail, that is excessive. A fine for obstructing traffic seems reasonable to me, not a year in jail.
    Protests are great. Very few made a big deal of the Occupy protests that lasted for months. The only issues were the semi-permanent tent cities that began to develop, and in some cases people were told to disburse. Other than that I don't remember any issues.
    And I agree there should be no law that increases the punishment if the crime was committed during a protest, it should not factor. So on the flip side it does not excuse it either.
    We've gone in full circles for about a week at this point and we've all shared our thoughts. There are just 2 sides, those who think it is acceptable to break laws during a protest and those who think the law should be upheld.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

mrussel1 said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I read that article, thought it was pretty lame. Right off the bat you tell it is bias from the title, and the description of the laws are misleading. It says they are trying to pass a law that would allow drivers to run over freeway protesters. That is just not true. It just wont hold the diver criminally responsible if they accidentally run over a protester. Seems totally reasonable to me.
    One thing I would not agree with is the year in jail, that is excessive. A fine for obstructing traffic seems reasonable to me, not a year in jail.
    I'm not really opining on the validity of the laws, rather what I think would be a legitimate concern and overreach; that is different punishments for what is essentially the same 'crime', should one be committed while protesting and the other not.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

mace1229 said:

mrussel1 said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

I read that article, thought it was pretty lame. Right off the bat you tell it is bias from the title, and the description of the laws are misleading. It says they are trying to pass a law that would allow drivers to run over freeway protesters. That is just not true. It just wont hold the diver criminally responsible if they accidentally run over a protester. Seems totally reasonable to me.
    I'm not really opining on the validity of the laws, rather what I think would be a legitimate concern and overreach; that is different punishments for what is essentially the same 'crime', should one be committed while protesting and the other not.
    I completely agree, I edited my response to reflect that.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

i think people that argue every day on the internet are lunatics. Keyboard Heroes.
    Somebody feels inadequate perhaps?
    Drink more goat's milk, it's good for cognition.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

Hahaha, the people discussing and debating current events online are lunatics ... I wonder what that makes discussion board lurkers who only drop occasional useless criticism of the people whose posts they obviously spend their time reading (or worse yet, don't read anything and simply drop by to insult people)? :giggle:
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

Hahaha, the people discussing and debating current events online are lunatics ... I wonder what that makes discussion board lurkers who only drop occasional useless criticism of the people whose posts they obviously spend their time reading (or worse yet, don't read anything and simply drop by to insult people)? :giggle:
    you cant avoid people with 30,000 posts. the day i tally 30,000 posts on the interweb please put a bullet in the back of my head.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

you never discussed a topic in your life, lets get real. you argue and act like you know everything about everything. (insert yellow giggling face)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

you cant avoid people with 30,000 posts. the day i tally 30,000 posts on the interweb please put a bullet in the back of my head.
    :neutral:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

or somebody feels incredibly annoyed by radical interweb heroes.

baaaaahhhhh
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

you never discussed a topic in your life, lets get real. you argue and act like you know everything about everything. (insert yellow giggling face)
    I don't know if being a jerk is something to be proud about.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

WTF is your problem today?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

WTF is your problem today?
    im lookin for a McPick 2
  • Options
    edited March 2017

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

here comes the militia.... dont be so sensitive beaver
    Post edited by rustneversleeps on
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,635

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

Making an observation isn't related to being sensitive in this case. You're the one seems a little touchy.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

Making an observation isn't related to being sensitive in this case. You're the one seems a little touchy.
    im just a jerk beaver.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

or somebody feels incredibly annoyed by radical interweb heroes.

baaaaahhhhh
    Goat's milk will soothe your frayed nerves!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

A little harsh.I haven't gotten that impression from her, and even though I disagree on most things except Mankind, I appreciate a different view.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

A little harsh.I haven't gotten that impression from her, and even though I disagree on most things except Mankind, I appreciate a different view.
    have you tried the Wendys Premium North Pacific Cod Sandwich?
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:

my2hands said:

Smellyman said:

thats why we have opinions. i dont see whats so "harsh" about saying someone is argumentative and seems to know everything. if thats harsh then this really is The Daily Fluff. try the Cod.
This discussion has been closed.