What if Pearl Jam...

riley540riley540 Posts: 1,132
What is the band started charging market prices for tickets? And started charging thousands for front row VIP meet and greets?

I bring this up becasue I just bought tickets to see Metallica, $160 each for GA. They also have a $2500 VIP meet and greet package.

I love PJ becasue they don't do things like this and keep ticket buying fair for fans. I'd be a bid disheartened if they switched to the new way of ticketing. I was reading the Metallica board and some long time fans are pretty disappointed.

Just curious to see what everyone things. I like going on that forum to boast about how great PJ is. Hahah

Comments

• joseph33joseph33 Posts: 1,247
    It would be the ultimate Fuck You to the fans. Those charge for meet and greets is just to squeeze the most out of fans.
  • riley540riley540 Posts: 1,132
    joseph33 said:

It would be the ultimate Fuck You to the fans. Those charge for meet and greets is just to squeeze the most out of fans.

That's what I'm saying! Half the Metallica fans seem to justify it.. I just don't get get.
  • When your mic starts getting cut when you're singing with Lady Gaga it's time to start asking yourself who is paying the bills.
    Metallica was one of my favorite bands growing up and ride the lightning is still in my top 5 albums ever. I couldn't pass on seeing them, even though I strongly disagree with the VIP crap
  • dmbolpdmbolp Posts: 1,287
    edited February 2017
    Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds are doing it this tour, asking $690/575/515/490/375/etc for the best seats thru TM/LN's Platinum Seats

In addition to the Fan Club's $275 Premium Seats
    Post edited by dmbolp on
  • PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017
    OP
    Will you ever take the band Metallica seriously after the fallon muppet show?
    Tar Balls in your mouth didn't diminish Pearl Jam at all because the frontman came out and sang about a passion.
    I will never hear Enter Sandman the same again ever after that rendition on Fallon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHvpPdD0KfU
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,905
    joseph33 said:

The meet and greet ticket packages for the '12 Missoula show were a success and I wouldn't be surprised if those are offered up again for a cause close to the band members' hearts.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    You'll start seing this crap from pj no doubt..too much money to be made out there.
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,882
    Wma31394 said:

You'll start seing this crap from pj no doubt..too much money to be made out there.

Possibly, but the money would go to a charity I'm sure, not their pockets.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

a5pj said:

Wma31394 said:

Possibly, but the money would go to a charity I'm sure, not their pockets.
    Very doubtful but yes they do their share of charity work..
    riley540 said:

What is the band started charging market prices for tickets? And started charging thousands for front row VIP meet and greets?

I bring this up becasue I just bought tickets to see Metallica, $160 each for GA. They also have a $2500 VIP meet and greet package.

I love PJ becasue they don't do things like this and keep ticket buying fair for fans. I'd be a bid disheartened if they switched to the new way of ticketing. I was reading the Metallica board and some long time fans are pretty disappointed.

Just curious to see what everyone things. I like going on that forum to boast about how great PJ is. Hahah

It should be noted that pearl jam tickets could be cheaper if they wanted them to be..just saying
  • DM282158DM282158 Posts: 544
    My jaw dropped when I saw the prices for U2 and Metallica. And not only are there "meet and greet" packages, but 100 VIP packages, credit card pre-sales. All that's left are $150 seats where you'll need binoculars.

On top of the fact that football stadium shows blow in my opinion.
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
    DM282158 said:

My jaw dropped when I saw the prices for U2 and Metallica. And not only are there "meet and greet" packages, but 100 VIP packages, credit card pre-sales. All that's left are $150 seats where you'll need binoculars.

Agree. But the demand for these acts are masssive. I just wish it was a fair ticketing system. Same price for every seat, no weird presales, and no VIP. I'm a fan club member for Metallica so I was lucky to score some GA tickets. But at $160 each, it's not easy to do :(

• I will take the darts and share that I would love to pay big money to sit in the first 15 rows. I have not been in the first 15 rows to a PJ show yet. Nothing says I have to be, deserve to be, or ever will be.
    BUT -- if they did offer this I would (without hesitating) throw down $349 per ticket to sit in the first 15 rows and/or $429 for the first 10 rows. No question.
    More darts can come my way but I paid through the nose to get "decent" seats at Philly 2 and MSG1 last tour. Had 10C seats for Philly 1 and MSG2 or I would have been hacked on those as well.
    Blame the bots for driving the prices for anything other than 10C or Nosebleed seats through the roof....and making it so that people like me won't give 2 shits about spending $900 on 2 tickets to see our favorite band and have awesome seats.

I know -- some will flame me and say that if I didn't pay those prices the after market pricing would go down. Well, I agree with your concept but not the reality as it relates to my seeing PJ right now. I'm going to see them whenever I can, because for years I didnt have money to travel or see 4 shows in 5 days. Now I do....so I will.

I also know that there is the angle of 'What about Us?!' from the old school, low # 10C folks who always sit in the first 15 rows if they are lucky enough to win the lotto.
    Umm, I guess my answer to you is...sorry? You had an amazing run?
    (In reality, since PJ doesn't do this, the answer is "sorry" to me. And I am ok with that. I dont think I am owed an up close experience with Pearl Jam. I will buy a seat as close as I can and feel OK with spending that amount on. If I can get 10C tickets I will happily sit wherever those see me land.)

I wanted to pay the VIP 1 pricing for GCF in 2015. My wife stopped me. On day of I was bummed. I could have had a chair and booze/food all day and not needed to sit on the ground listening to awful acts waiting for PJ. VIP3 and we still loved it -- but how much better it would have been if she had let me spend the money!

OK -- you can all kick me in the balls for having an unpopular opinion. :)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

I will take the darts and share that I would love to pay big money to sit in the first 15 rows. I have not been in the first 15 rows to a PJ show yet. Nothing says I have to be, deserve to be, or ever will be.
    BUT -- if they did offer this I would (without hesitating) throw down $349 per ticket to sit in the first 15 rows and/or $429 for the first 10 rows. No question.
    More darts can come my way but I paid through the nose to get "decent" seats at Philly 2 and MSG1 last tour. Had 10C seats for Philly 1 and MSG2 or I would have been hacked on those as well.
    Blame the bots for driving the prices for anything other than 10C or Nosebleed seats through the roof....and making it so that people like me won't give 2 shits about spending $900 on 2 tickets to see our favorite band and have awesome seats.

I know -- some will flame me and say that if I didn't pay those prices the after market pricing would go down. Well, I agree with your concept but not the reality as it relates to my seeing PJ right now. I'm going to see them whenever I can, because for years I didnt have money to travel or see 4 shows in 5 days. Now I do....so I will.

I also know that there is the angle of 'What about Us?!' from the old school, low # 10C folks who always sit in the first 15 rows if they are lucky enough to win the lotto.
    (In reality, since PJ doesn't do this, the answer is "sorry" to me. And I am ok with that. I dont think I am owed an up close experience with Pearl Jam. I will buy a seat as close as I can and feel OK with spending that amount on. If I can get 10C tickets I will happily sit wherever those see me land.)

I wanted to pay the VIP 1 pricing for GCF in 2015. My wife stopped me. On day of I was bummed. I could have had a chair and booze/food all day and not needed to sit on the ground listening to awful acts waiting for PJ. VIP3 and we still loved it -- but how much better it would have been if she had let me spend the money!

I was in the front of VIP 3 at GCF as well! Was hoping to get VIP 1, but Ticketmaster said no! Haha! No opinion is a bad opinion

• Weston1283Weston1283 Posts: 4,830
    edited February 2017
    I am fine with meet and greet packages that are very expensive as long as they keep ticket prices where they are at. It would be cool, something you could save up money for over the years and get to do it as a one time thing.

I think the band knows that alot of tickets come from a rather large traveling fan base. If they charged 200-300 for a GA instead of 75, the number of shows those traveling fans attend would decrease significantly.
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    DM282158 said:

The price people pay for nostalgia...
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    I don't need to see panty lines or get sweat rained on me. I want to hear the music. I will forever be in the bleeds or out in the lawn for any show I attend.

I will say I have a huge memory disconnect if I can't see the show. Not while I'm there. But later trying to remember my experience it won't be there so much.

I will add I will and do pay for PJ member tix no beef there. I will try from ticketmaster if need be and am ok with that cuz obviously it's usually the same as fan club.

As far as vip I won't pay those. There very few bands or single singers I would want to meet. And I would barely be able to form words so I wouldn't pay to meet them.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Posts: 4,810
    Sorry as of for your question. If PJ spiked prices I just simply wouldn't be able to afford to attend.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • And I dont have any desire for meet & greet either. If I bumped into one of the guys somewhere organically, I would dig that. Pay to shake someone's hand or get them to sign something? No my thing.
  • JbarkerJbarker Posts: 560

I will take the darts and share that I would love to pay big money to sit in the first 15 rows. I have not been in the first 15 rows to a PJ show yet. Nothing says I have to be, deserve to be, or ever will be.

I don't think it is all that unpopular. I, and others I know, totally agree with all the above.
    I'm travelling for most shows already so I go big every time. From hotel rooms to the food to the tix. Big all the way.

I also find value in purchasing tix later at my own leisure. I'm done wasting my time on Ticketmaster - such a joke.
    Pick whatever seat I want and buy them whenever I want - absolutely! I'm not missing a show just to 'battle the bots'.

As for VIP packages, Ugh! Seems too much like a cash grab.
  • Interesting....and yes, big cash grab but for those who like the meet and greets I think it is cool.
  • My ticket cost $175 including fees for GA at Soldier Field. Metallica biggest metal band of all time. Opener is Avenged Sevenfold who is one of the 3-4 biggest bands of the genre out there. They alone could do well as a headliner for arena tour. So roughly 90 bucks per band for a concert that will be over the top. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Some of these concerts also have another big metal band in Volbeat

My ticket cost $175 including fees for GA at Soldier Field. Metallica biggest metal band of all time. Opener is Avenged Sevenfold who is one of the 3-4 biggest bands of the genre out there. They alone could do well as a headliner for arena tour. So roughly 90 bucks per band for a concert that will be over the top. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Some of these concerts also have another big metal band in Volbeat

And the stage production will likely be massive itself. Constituting a high price.. I'm pretty sure of the big pop acts are even more expensive
  • riley540 said:

My ticket cost $175 including fees for GA at Soldier Field. Metallica biggest metal band of all time. Opener is Avenged Sevenfold who is one of the 3-4 biggest bands of the genre out there. They alone could do well as a headliner for arena tour. So roughly 90 bucks per band for a concert that will be over the top. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Some of these concerts also have another big metal band in Volbeat

And the stage production will likely be massive itself. Constituting a high price.. I'm pretty sure of the big pop acts are even more expensive
    It will be incredible. Never seen either band and I'm over the moon. Other thing too is its incredible how some will belittle Bands for charging market value on tickets then have no issue eating out 5 nights a week. Then complain how they have no money. The band is not pricing many of these people out of the market. They just are sh!T with money management. Now I'm fully aware this is not everybody but more than a fair share of those that complain
  • I think the only way PJ could do meet and greets and have it a level playing field is a lottery system, otherwise it's only the people who have money get to do it. I would have no issue with them doing that. But I can't see them doing it. Besides Mike, the rest of the band seem to enjoy their alone time before and after shows. So I don't see it happening.

I don't have much money, and I've only seen them 5 times in 25 years. So it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if they charged going rates for their shows. I am not doing multiple shows per tour, never have, and at this point, never will.
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Venues being mostly stadiums probably has a lot to do with it also, but I think the prices is what gave me the most pleasant ticket-buying experience I've ever had.. To a band with such high demand, at least. I could go on TM right now for a lot of the Metallica venues and still be able to pull GA/decent seats. Zero stress on ticket buying and for $170 (including fees), I can line up and still be real close to the stage. I don't have a lot of money to burn and it sucks for those that can't afford the tickets, but I think for a lot of regular Joes who have not attended many concerts, on cheaper shows such as PJ, many tix just get bought and sold on ScumHub or sold outside the venue by "fans" and the unlucky ones just end up paying the same higher price any damn way. So why not cut the middle man? Also, I'm not overlooking the great members that help out others on here, but there's just not enough of those for everyone.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,896
    edited February 2017
    If Pearl Jam started doing shit like that I'd probably stop going to the shows.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Edved007Edved007 Posts: 1,033
    I'd be sad to see PJ do this stickily because of their history of being fair to the fans, etc, I also don't think they would "mess" with their current structure with 10C tickets. They could change the format from the lottery vs. f5 or GA vs seats, etc, but they aren't going to change the fact they give the best seats to the long time fans that have supported them over the decades.

That being said, it doesn't bother me other people do it, it's how big time acts make their money now. There is no money to be made on releasing new music. The very art of releasing whole cohesive albums is almost extinct. They make money by releasing singles here and there, getting the hype and then going on tour and charging insane amounts of money for tickets. The fact is people pay the money, so they aren't going to stop doing it. It's where the money is at now if you are a big time act.

Let's count our blessings that PJ is a "mature" act that doesn't need to do that to make money or pay the bills.
    95' - 7/9
    98' - 6/26, 6/27, 6/29, 8/26, 9/22
    03' - 4/25
    06' - 6/29, 6/30
    07' - 8/05
    09' - 8/23
    11' - 9/03, 9/04
    12' - 9/30
    13' - 7/16, 7/19, 10/21, 10/22, 11/15, 11/16, 12/06
    14' - 06/28, 06/29, 10/1, 10/03, 10/16, 10/17, 10/20, 10/22
    15' - 11/20, 11/22
    16' - 4/21, 4/26, 4/28, 4/29, 5/1, 5/2, 7/9, 8/5, 8/7, 8/20, 8/22
    17' - 4/7
    18' - 7/1, 7/3, 7/5, 8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20, 9/4
    21' - 10/1, 10/2
    22' - 7/12, 7/14, 9/6, 9/8
  • joseph33joseph33 Posts: 1,247
    Wma31394 said:

riley540 said:

It should be noted that pearl jam tickets could be cheaper if they wanted them to be..just saying

DM282158 said:

The price people pay for nostalgia...
    What you said.