Benny Hall HD download? - FOUND

stonesstones Posts: 276
edited February 2017 in The Porch
Anyone know where I can find a high quality download of Live at Benaroya Hall?

I'll pay if necessary, though I'd prefer the money go to the band and/or the charity the performance was in aid of if possible.

I already own the original CD, however I fear I might have gone too far down the Apple road, because my mac (which I use as a server for iTunes and where I store all my music) died before Christmas and I've recently got a shiny new replacement. However the new one doesn't have a CD/DVD drive anymore, because Apple in their wisdom thinks that they're obsolete. I have back-ups of all my downloaded boots, but anything I had on physical CD I never thought to backup digitally as I thought I'd just re-rip them if necessary. You can't do that on a new mac without buying an external drive (extra $$$s for Apple!)... But I don't really need that at the moment for the studio albums as they're all on iTunes and I have an Apple music subscription.

It's only Benny that isn't backed up, or on iTunes or anywhere else that I can find to download legally.
Post edited by stones on

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,459
    When you say HD, that means high def, 24 bit files. Is that what you are looking to get? There is a 24/96 vinyl rip that has been passed around but I don't think it's any better than just the cd rip. Or are you looking for something lossless vs whatever lossiness your mac introduced?
    BTW - can't you just use a regular external blu ray burner to rip? I didn't think you needed something Apple proprietary. I'm an Apple hater so I don't know for sure, I just thought the burners worked for either (with the right drivers).
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    mrussel1 said:

When you say HD, that means high def, 24 bit files. Is that what you are looking to get? There is a 24/96 vinyl rip that has been passed around but I don't think it's any better than just the cd rip. Or are you looking for something lossless vs whatever lossiness your mac introduced?
    BTW - can't you just use a regular external blu ray burner to rip? I didn't think you needed something Apple proprietary. I'm an Apple hater so I don't know for sure, I just thought the burners worked for either (with the right drivers).

An Apple hater? Sweet! Me too! :)

That 24/96 rip has been out for many years now. Haven't seen any other rips out there. Would love to hear one @ 192kHz.
  • stonesstones Posts: 276
    I guess I mean as high quality as I can get. Not necessarily true HD 24/96. At most I'd rip 16 bit ALAC from the CD so that i can play it on my iPhone, just that without the CD/DVD drive I can't rip the CD at all.

Yeah I could purchase an external drive, doesn't have to be Apple, but it's extra money either way and if I can avoid it, then all the better. Right now I'm just annoyed at Apple because I'm just trying to restore what I had before
    edited February 2017
    The 24/96 vinyl rip would suit me fine I'm sure, as would a good quality CD rip
    Post edited by stones on
  • Don't external CD/DVD drives cost like $15. Then you can re-rip whatever CDs you want.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,180
    edited February 2017
    stones said:

Anyone know where I can find a high quality download of Live at Benaroya Hall?

I'll pay if necessary, though I'd prefer the money go to the band and/or the charity the performance was in aid of if possible.

I already own the original CD, however I fear I might have gone too far down the Apple road, because my mac (which I use as a server for iTunes and where I store all my music) died before Christmas and I've recently got a shiny new replacement. However the new one doesn't have a CD/DVD drive anymore, because Apple in their wisdom thinks that they're obsolete. I have back-ups of all my downloaded boots, but anything I had on physical CD I never thought to backup digitally as I thought I'd just re-rip them if necessary. You can't do that on a new mac without buying an external drive (extra $$$s for Apple!)... But I don't really need that at the moment for the studio albums as they're all on iTunes and I have an Apple music subscription.

It's only Benny that isn't backed up, or on iTunes or anywhere else that I can find to download legally.

You can diss Apple for lots of things, but them removing the discdrive is not really one of them (if we're talking MacBooks)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,225
    I tried ripping my Benny CD to my computer over the weekend but it would only rip the first few songs and then stop and spit the disc out. Any reason why? I've ripped many CDs previously but this is the only cd Ive ever had trouble ripping. Thoughts? Suggestions?
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    JojoRice said:

I tried ripping my Benny CD to my computer over the weekend but it would only rip the first few songs and then stop and spit the disc out. Any reason why? I've ripped many CDs previously but this is the only cd Ive ever had trouble ripping. Thoughts? Suggestions?

What ripping software do you use? EAC maybe? (Exact Audio Copy).
    Is the disc scratched?
    EAC is the only program to use...
    edited February 2017
    demetrios said:

JojoRice said:

What ripping software do you use? EAC maybe? (Exact Audio Copy).
    Is the disc scratched?
    Ive always just used ITunes on my computer. Might try out EAC though and see if that works.

Disc looks fine though.

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:

EAC is the only program to use...

Totally agree, you can also just test the CD for errors.
    EAC wouldn't rip it either. I tried testing it and every time it gets halfway through Around the Bend it says "Timing Problem" and my computer automatically spits the cd back out.

Could it be that the cd is messed up?

• MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    JojoRice said:

That would be my guess.

You can diss Apple for lots of things, but them removing the discdrive is not really one of them (if we're talking MacBooks)

Nah, this is an iMac 27" 5K retina display. So a desktop, where weight and size aren't really much of an issue. I agree with you on MacBooks, but I don't think there's really an excuse of not putting a drive in these except cost cutting.

Don't external CD/DVD drives cost like $15. Then you can re-rip whatever CDs you want.

Apples own drive costs £80 (so best part of $100 at current exchange rates), but yeah you might be right. Longer term I will probably invest in a new drive, but having just dropped a few $k on a new iMac, I kinda didn't want to spend any more for now.
  • The CD version sounds amazing on an excellent set up. I upgraded my CD player and receiver awhile back and have rediscovered how amazing CDs sound.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    stones said:

Nah, this is an iMac 27" 5K retina display. So a desktop, where weight and size aren't really much of an issue. I agree with you on MacBooks, but I don't think there's really an excuse of not putting a drive in these except cost cutting.
    Completely agree
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    We're seeing more and more laptops, even windows lap tops, not coming with optical devices. Software developers are making their products executable by USB now too. My surface pro is pretty limited all around. I have more of an issue with the crappy sound cards, video cards and tiny SSD's to be honest.
    JojoRice said:

EAC wouldn't rip it either. I tried testing it and every time it gets halfway through Around the Bend it says "Timing Problem" and my computer automatically spits the cd back out.

I would say yes. When using EAC what was the track .log file say? After you cancelled the ripped.