Options

Remember when Pearl Jam played the Kalamazoo State Theatre in 1991?

buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
Nice little article about the boys visiting my hometown from the local Classic Rock station. Anyone attend? I was 12 years old. :(

This month the Rocker is celebrating the 90th birthday of the State Theatre by giving you a Golden Ticket to see every show there for a year. We look back at some of the great bands to have played there over the years. First up Pearl Jam in 1991.

According to the website Five Horizons, Pearl Jam played the State Theatre November, 20th in 1991. This was during their first big tour behind their album, “Ten”. I couldn’t locate a specific setlist for this show but looking at the surrounding dates on that tour they were playing many of the classic songs from “Ten”.

The tour that the band was on was their tour with Red Hot Chili Peppers and Smashing Pumpkins. The Chili Peppers weren’t apart of the show in Kalamazoo but Smashing Pumpkins were there as support. Do You Remember This Show?

http://wrkr.com/remember-when-pearl-jam-played-the-kalamazoo-state-theatre-in-1991/

Comments

• Options
    Let's solve the mystery
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I don't - I was 13 and not old enough to go. Were you there bUck?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I was 12 -and didn't. My record store dude was - and apparently went to a whole bunch of PJ shows around this time. He says he has some handbill - flyers from some of the tiny club shows - he is supposed to send me some copies. Apparently he also blocked Stone's shot in a game of hoops as well.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,347

I was 12 -and didn't. My record store dude was - and apparently went to a whole bunch of PJ shows around this time. He says he has some handbill - flyers from some of the tiny club shows - he is supposed to send me some copies. Apparently he also blocked Stone's shot in a game of hoops as well.

damn what record store? I'm in Kalamazoo every other year or so, lots of family in the area.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    Green Light and Satelite records - lucky enough to have 2!!!!
  • Options
    I am from the Kalamazoo area and was told that this show was originally scheduled for the larger Wings Stadium, but was moved to State Theatre because they weren't selling enough tickets. Which, if true, is really crazy to think about now! Anyways, I wonder if that's why there isn't a ton of evidence about the show, since maybe the ads for it would have said Wings Stadium?
    Chicago '98 * East Lansing '98 * Indianapolis '00 * Detroit '00 * Cleveland '03 * Detroit (1st) '03 * Grand Rapids '04 * London (ON) '05 * Grand Rapids '06 * Chicago '09 * Chicago '13 * Chicago '16
  • Options

I am from the Kalamazoo area and was told that this show was originally scheduled for the larger Wings Stadium, but was moved to State Theatre because they weren't selling enough tickets. Which, if true, is really crazy to think about now! Anyways, I wonder if that's why there isn't a ton of evidence about the show, since maybe the ads for it would have said Wings Stadium?

Interesting
  • Options

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    edited April 2019
    WOW! Great thread! I was in the Army at that time, just discovering Pearl Jam. If I was home, I would have been there.
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    bshanerbshaner Posts: 15
    gotta be Chris?  he's told me about hanging out with them when he worked up the street at music express.  unfortunately i was only 7 at the time of that show
  • Options
    bshaner said:
    gotta be Chris?  he's told me about hanging out with them when he worked up the street at music express.  unfortunately i was only 7 at the time of that show
    you guessed it
  • Options

• Options
    My wife's friend was there and confims that it was originally scheduled at Wings Stadium and movedto State Theatre.