RIP Mary Tyler Moore

oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
edited January 2017 in All Encompassing Trip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1GC6yXZ4e4
Mary Tyler Moore, beloved TV icon who symbolized the independent career woman, dies at 80
http://latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-mary-tyler-moore-20170125-story.html

I started watching the Mary Tyler Moore show at some point in the 70s and continued with reruns well into adulthood. Her character did "symbolize the independent career woman" and always made me feel like I could do whatever I wanted to do, while making me laugh. And she introduced me to Betty White. RIP Mary.
And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on

Comments

• And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1GC6yXZ4e4
    Mary Tyler Moore, beloved TV icon who symbolized the independent career woman, dies at 80
    http://latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-mary-tyler-moore-20170125-story.html

I started watching the Mary Tyler Moore show at some point in the 70s and continued with reruns well into adulthood. Her character did "symbolize the independent career woman" and always made me feel like I could do whatever I wanted to do, while making me laugh. And she introduced me to Betty White. RIP Mary.

I just heard this. I grew up with her tv shows. This one, I really am sad about. She was one the great ones. She is greatly missed already.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Grew up watching her show (and the spin-offs like Rhoda), and she fucking blew me away in Ordinary People.

I always wanted an apartment like hers, all cozy with the elevated kitchen.

RIP.
  • hedonist said:

Grew up watching her show (and the spin-offs like Rhoda), and she fucking blew me away in Ordinary People.

I always wanted an apartment like hers, all cozy with the elevated kitchen.

RIP.

Me too!! I still want one like that; loft sort of thing.
  • Ordinary People is one of my favorite movies ever. I even wrote a paper on it in college and no one other than my professor had even heard of it. She was genius in it. RIP, MTM.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Betty White was killer on the MTM show.
    Ordinary People is a brilliant movie but nobody seems to even remember it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

Strange since it won best picture. Raging Bull was better but OP is a good movie in its own right. Great performances all around. RIP MTM.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305

Strange since it won best picture. Raging Bull was better but OP is a good movie in its own right. Great performances all around. RIP MTM.
    She really played against type in that movie and was incredible. Donald Sutherland and Judd Hirsch too.

But back to Mary--I have that theme stuck in my head now: "Who can turn the world on with her smile . . ."
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."

She really played against type in that movie and was incredible. Donald Sutherland and Judd Hirsch too.

But back to Mary--I have that theme stuck in my head now: "Who can turn the world on with her smile . . ."
    Me too, Who P. "Love is all around, no need to waste it." Made me a bit teary.
  • Betty White was killer on the MTM show.

She was so cold and mean in that movie that I had a hard time liking her in other things. Honestly I probably first watched it because I had a crush on Timothy Hutton when I was a kid but then I grew to love the movie for what it was. I caught it on one of the movie channels a while back. Still so good.
    I'm through with screaming

She was so cold and mean in that movie that I had a hard time liking her in other things. Honestly I probably first watched it because I had a crush on Timothy Hutton when I was a kid but then I grew to love the movie for what it was. I caught it on one of the movie channels a while back. Still so good.
    It's like Fargo and a few other films for me - happen upon it, must watch it.

(I had a crush not on Tim, but his father)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    I mentioned this to my co-worker, who is in her late 30s, right about my age, and she said she'd never heard of Mary Tyler Moore before. Wtf?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    edited January 2017
    Loved the Mary Tyler Moore show, My favorite episode was the one of the Chuckles The Clown Episode, still makes me laugh, here is a clip, RIP Mary....

https://youtu.be/92I04DkMEps
    Post edited by OMGkatwoman on
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    RIP
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Posts: 7,623

Criminal how Sutherland didn't get a nomination.
  • oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    edited January 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

I mentioned this to my co-worker, who is in her late 30s, right about my age, and she said she'd never heard of Mary Tyler Moore before. Wtf?

:smirk:

Loved the Mary Tyler Moore show, My favorite episode was the one of the Chuckles The Clown Episode, still makes me laugh, here is a clip, RIP Mary....

https://youtu.be/92I04DkMEps

:giggle: I watched that one yesterday too
    Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes