Options

Best streaming music service?

I'm thinking about giving Spotify a try. I already have Sirius XM. What's everyone's preference? Spotify? Apple Music? Amazon? Nugs.net also looks intriguing for live shows.

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited January 2017
    I love Spotify and recommend it to anyone. The fact that you can temporarily download playlists to your phone so you don't have to use up data to listen is a strong feature, and the ease with which you can share your playlists with other users, and access your friends' playlists and share songs with other users you know (just login with Facebook if you are into that), makes it a super interactive platform if you want it to be (you can also just set it to private and not bother with any of that). You can see what others are listening to if you want as well, including some of your your favorite artists who use it. It also lists related artists for everyone you listen to, kind of like YouTube does but in a more comprehensive way. And it includes bios and full, very easy to navigate catalogues for each artist (which is just about every artist, excluding Prince).

It also builds song lists for you based on your listening habits, and those lists tend to be really good, filled with cool music you likely haven't heard before. I have discovered so many new songs and artists just from the weekly music discovery playlist I get from Spotify. It will also read the playlists you build and list recommendations based on them at the bottom. Another feature I think is cool is that it automatically saves any song you happen to Shazam, so you have a playlist of that ready-made for you. Finally, if you want, it sends you notifications when new albums or songs are released by artists you choose to follow. So yeah, a super good choice if you're interested in music discovery as well as a really smart way to curate and share the music library you build. I love it - couldn't live without it now. Probably the best non-essential $10 I spend every month. Totally worth it.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Tidal just for audio quality. Otherwise, Spotify and Google Play since you get YouTube Red with the latter.