The 2 legs of a good bootleg

Loving the bootlegs as much as I do, I will scour the forums in search of the next gem, but alas... most reviews seem to come from attendees (not all but most, or not specified).
It seems that the quality of a bootleg could be supported by two separate pillars - the music and the vibe.
While the opinions of a fan in attendance are integral to discussing bootlegs, they will always have an intangible bias.
I am curious about the stripped away merits of a bootleg. How does it fare musically, with flow and sound quality.

Ignoring the obvious popular or "apeman" shows, vault shows, theatre shows, etc...
What are some suggestions of bootlegs from "non-attendees"?

Comments

• I really enjoyed the 2nd Toronto show 2016

All the buzz about night 1 and Binaural and Night 2 the band just put it all out there
  • Was not at show
  • Berlin 2010
    Only show I never attended that I own a physical copy of the bootleg. I love the set list, the vibe was great and there was a magic in the air there that night that is tangible through your speakers.

Second would be East Rutherford 1998.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,980
    10/3/05
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,622
    edited December 2016
    Just listened to Cleveland '03 and St. Louis '03. Good sounding shows with strong crowd and band energy. Newcastle '06 was another good one. I second Philadelphia, 10/03/05. It's a great one.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    The Vic 2007
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • tbergs said:

Just listened to Cleveland '03 and St. Louis '03. Good sounding shows with strong crowd and band energy. Newcastle '06 was another good one. I second Philadelphia, 10/03/05. It's a great one.

St Louis 2003 opened with Present Tense! Don't see that much. Also a hometown show. The chant during Alive is also amazing
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    never ever gonna happen and this im certain of as mum hates her..
  • Saratoga 8/27/2000
    Champaign 4/23/2003
    St. johns 9/24/2005
    San Diego 7/7/2006
    London 6/25/2010
    Phoenix 11/19/2013
    Milan 6/20/2014

• derbydavederbydave Posts: 11,254
    edited December 2016
    This is a great resource for bootleg reviews:
    http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
    Not sure if these guys are still updating the site,
    but it's an interesting read if you want an objective opinion about PJ boots!!
    Post edited by derbydave on
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    JWPearl said:

I'm inclined to disagree.

:i_dunno:

Jbarker, two of my favorite (for lack of a better term) shows that I've only experienced aurally are from the rightfully-so emotional ones from Katowice and Milan, 2000. Just post-Roskilde, and as such, bittersweet. Powerful.

I'm sure there are later ones, but those...fucking get me every time, that energy between 5 and thousands.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Dont mind me
    And i dont think we have the same thing in mind sorry!
    edited December 2016
    hedonist said:

JWPearl said:

Jbarker, two of my favorite (for lack of a better term) shows that I've only experienced aurally are from the rightfully-so emotional ones from Katowice and Milan, 2000. Just post-Roskilde, and as such, bittersweet. Powerful.

I'm sure there are later ones, but those...fucking get me every time, that energy between 5 and thousands.
    Katowice is an amazing show, but neither that nor Milan were after Roskilde. Roskilde ended the Euro tour in June. The epic Jones Beach show in August was an emotional release from that tragic event, "It's ooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!" And then the Seattle show with the reemergence of Alive.
  • EM194007EM194007 Posts: 2,827
    tbergs said:

hedonist said:

JWPearl said:

Katowice is an amazing show, but neither that nor Milan were after Roskilde. Roskilde ended the Euro tour in June. The epic Jones Beach show in August was an emotional release from that tragic event, "It's ooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!" And then the Seattle show with the reemergence of Alive.
    IMO, VA Beach, the first show after Roskilde was a emotional release from that horrible event. That version of It's OK is incredible. I got to witness it first hand, and it was a amazing and very emotional for the band.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Shoot, thanks for the correction. Much to take in from that time and got my shows mixed up. Still love them though! Milan's Nothingman crowd singing the opener is just....ahhhh!

And agreed on VA Beach.
    EM194007 said:

tbergs said:

hedonist said:

JWPearl said:

IMO, VA Beach, the first show after Roskilde was a emotional release from that horrible event. That version of It's OK is incredible. I got to witness it first hand, and it was a amazing and very emotional for the band.
    My bad, I was thinking that was Jones Beach, but you're correct. VA was awesome!
  • MT236122MT236122 Posts: 135
    One that gets criticism for the crowd, but is an excellent bootleg is Newark 2010. Setlist dips into rarities with the band ripping it up.
    Riding high amongst the waves
  • Cardiff 2000
    Saratoga 2000
    All Japan 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Hartford 2013

Cardiff 2000
    Saratoga 2000
    All Japan 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Hartford 2013

Love Eddie's, "fuck this fucking chocolate factory" statement at Hershey. Good bootleg, lots of energy.
  • on2legson2legs Posts: 14,980
    LukinFan said:

The Vic 2007

Great one. Love the All or None opener.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• ceskaceska Posts: 1,115
    Correct, Virginia Beach preceded Jones Beach. The VB version was a little more reserved in Ed' delivery and the JB version made TB2K, but whatever both versions were great for those in attendance. I was at JB and when that happened I remember feeling like this show just went to a whole new level.

Anyway as for shows not attended, I bought a bunch of the 2000/2003 bootlegs. Katowice, Verona, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh for 2000. Perth 2003 was very nice (TYAAM) and I also have one of the Japan shows with Oceans. Boise 2003 was also very good (Don't Be Shy). I just went for the ones with rare songs, covers, unusual openers, that kind of stuff. Of all the bootlegs, I think fall 2003 was the best sound quality.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    MT236122 said:

One that gets criticism for the crowd, but is an excellent bootleg is Newark 2010. Setlist dips into rarities with the band ripping it up.

Good call
  • joe159joe159 Posts: 316
    I purchased the 2000 SAN Bernardino after watching DTE from the "Touring Band" DVD, the whole show is awesome. They opened with Rearviewmirror.
  • Quebec City from this past '16 tour is awesome. I wasn't there but it's definitely supercharged and high intensity, really good sounding.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    It's really hard to go wrong with most of the 2000 and 2003 shows. I think the bootlegs for the American legs of both those tours sound superior, but the band sounds great all around.

For 2000, I've always loved the 10/15 show in Houston. Opens with Oceans and closes first set with Parting Ways. The gems of Red Mosquito, Faithful, Off He Goes and Crazy Mary mixed in as well as Lukin in to Not For You.
    ceska said:

Correct, Virginia Beach preceded Jones Beach. The VB version was a little more reserved in Ed' delivery and the JB version made TB2K, but whatever both versions were great for those in attendance. I was at JB and when that happened I remember feeling like this show just went to a whole new level.

Anyway as for shows not attended, I bought a bunch of the 2000/2003 bootlegs. Katowice, Verona, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh for 2000. Perth 2003 was very nice (TYAAM) and I also have one of the Japan shows with Oceans. Boise 2003 was also very good (Don't Be Shy). I just went for the ones with rare songs, covers, unusual openers, that kind of stuff. Of all the bootlegs, I think fall 2003 was the best sound quality.

Ed really nailed all those slow covers that 2003 tour. Beautiful versions of You've Got to Hide Your Love, I Am A Patriot and Blue, Red, Grey as well just to name a few.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Can't really narrow it down, but I am huge fan of almost every show from the 2005 Canadian tour. They always play whatever they want, but that tour, not supporting an album, they really just seemed to have fun. maybe the first time since there early 91' shows.

They also sounded tremendous.

Of small note, it was the last time we had a beardless Ed. :)

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,180
    edited December 2016
    Jbarker said:

Loving the bootlegs as much as I do, I will scour the forums in search of the next gem, but alas... most reviews seem to come from attendees (not all but most, or not specified).
    It seems that the quality of a bootleg could be supported by two separate pillars - the music and the vibe.
    While the opinions of a fan in attendance are integral to discussing bootlegs, they will always have an intangible bias.
    I am curious about the stripped away merits of a bootleg. How does it fare musically, with flow and sound quality.

Ignoring the obvious popular or "apeman" shows, vault shows, theatre shows, etc...
    What are some suggestions of bootlegs from "non-attendees"?

I was not there but;

Boston 1,2,3 2003
    Hartford 2008
    Boston 2010
    New Orleans 2016

Are great. Especially Boston 2010.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Buffalo 2003
  • JbarkerJbarker Posts: 560
    2000/2003 boots make up the lion share of my meager collection. love the reviews though. Prob end up with all 144 the way it's goin.
    Appreciate the Canada 2005 review. Was busy making babies and couldn't make any of those shows and was always looking for an excuse to own the boots.