Comments

• Options
    FreeFree Posts: 3,562

Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True
    with respect, I don't believe that to be true.
    And that's for you to choose to believe. The more open minded you are, the more experiences can happen, but when you close your mind shut; insisting it doesn't happen or assuming it is something logical overtakes everything else.

Why did you post this? What are you looking for? (Other than sleep apnea advice)
    It's a little judgmental to say you are more open minded because you believe in ghosts.
    Don't go and twist words, wise ass. I said nothing judgmental. And I said nothing about ghosts. If one is closed off to the idea of possibilities, they like don't likely happen.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    you said our dead loved ones visit us. I'm not judging your beliefs, as that very well might be true, but you did say that.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Free said:

Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True
    And that's for you to choose to believe. The more open minded you are, the more experiences can happen, but when you close your mind shut; insisting it doesn't happen or assuming it is something logical overtakes everything else.

Why did you post this? What are you looking for? (Other than sleep apnea advice)
    It's a little judgmental to say you are more open minded because you believe in ghosts.
    Don't go and twist words, wise ass. I said nothing judgmental. And I said nothing about ghosts. If one is closed off to the idea of possibilities, they like don't likely happen.
    I wasn't twisting words. You're claiming that if you have an open mind, you will see ghosts or spirits. It's not difficult to see that.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    The thought of my deceased grandma watching me have a bowel movement is disturbing.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

The thought of my deceased grandma watching me have a bowel movement is disturbing.

my thoughts immdiately went to "I was alone......reading Glamour magazine"

GRAMMA!!! GET OUT OF HERE!!!!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

you said our dead loved ones visit us. I'm not judging your beliefs, as that very well might be true, but you did say that.

They do, in our dreams, and Chadwick added elsewhere. Some people are more likely to understand than others. Don't knock what you don't understand. That is all I'm saying. By the way I am not religious, I am agnostic too.

• Options
    Free said:

They do, in our dreams, and Chadwick added elsewhere. Some people are more likely to understand than others. Don't knock what you don't understand. That is all I'm saying. By the way I am not religious, I am agnostic too.

don't knock what I don't understand?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,310

Eating good cookies before bed make me sleep like a baby , and why is she on the couch if your the one making all the noise you should let her go to sleep 1st and then you !

she goes when I'm asleep. so she isn't giving me the choice. the other part of it is, I slept on an air matress in the basement for over 2 years because of it. then I got a snoreguard and moved back into our room. Then I lost weight and didn't need the thing anymore. Now I've gained it back and the problem has returned. she knows it sucks for me being on the couch, as I'm 6 feet and don't fit. she's 4'11" and fits easily, so it's not as much of a drag for her.
    I hear you I'm on the other side of this she snores to high hell lucky we have a spare bedroom I'm always going there when she's cutting down redwood trees !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Free said:

I'm having trouble reconciling your "nothing judgemental" phrase with the "don't knock what you don't understand" phrase.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Free said:

Yeah, I can't really articulate it. Maybe Chadwick can do better.
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

Yeah, I can't really articulate it. Maybe Chadwick can do better.
    understanding comes from facts. here is a definition: Understanding is a relation between the knower and an object of understanding. Understanding implies abilities and dispositions with respect to an object of knowledge sufficient to support intelligent behavior.

spirits visiting us in dreamtime is not an object of knowledge. that is an object of belief.

please tell me you understand that very stark difference.

now I've had this type of conversation numerous times on here and off here over the years, and it always boils down to the same thing: the believer condescending to the non-believer as someone who just "doesn't get it" or "isn't chosen to understand" as your words implied above. So we don't need to go down that road any further than we already have. I already see it coming.

good day.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True

I don't close my mind to anything. I am more agnostic than atheist, really, so I'll believe it if I see it, or see proof of it. when a religious nut asks me, I say atheist. that way they don't start spouting their organized religion cult shit to me.

Why did I post this? To see if anyone has any similar experiences. Just to "put it out there", I guess. I thought it was fucking weird, and it kind of rattled me. I told a co worker, and he just laughed. I don't understand why any time I ask questions about anything to do with the unexplainable, someone always seems to assume I'm looking for something to fill some void in my life, like answers to life's big mysteries or something, and they seem to get annoyed when they find out they don't have the answers they thought I was seeking.

I'm not. I'm really not that fucking deep.
    I don't claim to know any answers. But when you post weird shit like this happening, (and it's weird) and people just want to jump on me for somehow being "judgmental" because I don't think it's so weird, that's when I'm done. I used to wake up night after night when I was 9 years old with night terrors, something I never remembered the next morning. Oh you people, explain me why. You seem to have the answers.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Perhaps you can now have the mods close this thread then Hugh. You've been down that road before apparently, whatever you want to make it.
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True

I don't close my mind to anything. I am more agnostic than atheist, really, so I'll believe it if I see it, or see proof of it. when a religious nut asks me, I say atheist. that way they don't start spouting their organized religion cult shit to me.

Why did I post this? To see if anyone has any similar experiences. Just to "put it out there", I guess. I thought it was fucking weird, and it kind of rattled me. I told a co worker, and he just laughed. I don't understand why any time I ask questions about anything to do with the unexplainable, someone always seems to assume I'm looking for something to fill some void in my life, like answers to life's big mysteries or something, and they seem to get annoyed when they find out they don't have the answers they thought I was seeking.

I don't claim to know any answers. But when you post weird shit like this happening, (and it's weird) and people just want to jump on me for somehow being "judgmental" because I don't think it's so weird, that's when I'm done. I used to wake up night after night when I was 9 years old with night terrors, something I never remembered the next morning. Oh you people, explain me why. You seem to have the answers.
    um, I never claimed to have the answers. hence the purpose of the thread.

people get jumped on when they post faith as fact. "dude, dead people visit us in our dreams". And then this condescending shit: "Some people are more likely to understand than others. Don't knock what you don't understand", and then tell me you can't tell me what that means.

don't post that shit and then cry victim. that's weak.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    THE LOOKTHE LOOK Posts: 324
    edited November 2016
    Shawshank said:

Ugh, I can't even believe I'm going to tell this story, but here goes. I had a dream almost 14 years ago...I remember it vividly. From off to the side I could see myself standing in front of this table with three figures that appeared to be men on the left and right, but the one in the middle I could not see the face. It was blinding white in the middle. I could see myself talking though, having a conversation. The room was not ornate, but I guess the best way to describe it was...it was clean. Pure. Everything seemed to be absolute perfection.

I could not hear anything. I could not hear a word that I saw myself saying, and I could not hear anything that was being said to me. The conversation seemed to be serious in nature. The demeanor just seemed to be stern I guess.

Suddenly it vanished and this booming voice in my right ear rang through my head. I know this sounds stupid, but it resembled James Earl Jones...didn't sound like him, but that is as close as I can come to having heard something similar. If you have seen the Lion King, when the cloud appears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCXEO1N5ijQ

...that is almost exactly how it sounded as far as tone goes. It was authoritative, booming, and deep...it echoed...almost like the sound reverberated through my entire body.

All it said was Matthew 10:27. That was it. But it was like someone was lying right next to me saying that to me in my right ear, and I always slept on the left side of the bed. My eyes instantly opened, as if I hadn't even been asleep. I looked over just knowing someone had to be next to me, but no one was there. It was sunny out, no one else was around, no TV on, nothing. I was scared at first, thinking someone was in my house. Then I thought I was crazy. Then I figured well, there was probably no verse like that in the Bible. Then I went to my wife's Bible and opened it only to find that verse.

" 27 What I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the housetops. "

That's my weird experience.

Thank you for sharing this story!
    Post edited by THE LOOK on
    Bigfoot is blurry.
    - Mitch Hedberg
  • Options
    We get what the purpose of this thread is. It's quite clear.
  • Options
    Free said:

We get what the purpose of this thread is. It's quite clear.

and what would that be?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    I'd say that as Chadwick said, it's worth doing a sleep apnea test, in case this is a serious medical ailment. Once that's ruled out, embrace the beauty of the random and/or unexplainable, and attach the meaning to it that brings you the most comfort and direction, and the least dread and confusion.

I used to do a communal meditative/art activity coined in Canada as Breathlines (though originally used as a therapy technique for war-town Sri Lankan children). The idea is, you trace your breath by applying black paint on a canvas, with eyes closed, letting your paintbrush wander. You then open your eyes, take those seemingly random squiggles and go over them with white paint (equally randomly), trying to reveal the story inside with the remaining black lines. The story that I found was a person crying while overlooking the abyss on a narrow and winding path. At first I thought the character was looking into a kaleidoscope, and then realized it was me smoking from a bong. I had just lost several friends by letting my depression get the best of me and becoming an unreliable recluse, who only smoked weed all day. I slowed down and did some real thinking and prioritization, and it ended up making me a more balanced person. Whether the universe was speaking to me, or this was a construct of my mind - I figured who am I to deny guidance from my soul, my subconscious, or the randomness of the universe (which brought us to the point we're at today)? I don't know if I'm articulating this properly, but my point is that the unknowable can stay unknowable, but still have value in a person's life.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:

I'd say that as Chadwick said, it's worth doing a sleep apnea test, in case this is a serious medical ailment. Once that's ruled out, embrace the beauty of the random and/or unexplainable, and attach the meaning to it that brings you the most comfort and direction, and the least dread and confusion.

I used to do a communal meditative/art activity coined in Canada as Breathlines (though originally used as a therapy technique for war-town Sri Lankan children). The idea is, you trace your breath by applying black paint on a canvas, with eyes closed, letting your paintbrush wander. You then open your eyes, take those seemingly random squiggles and go over them with white paint (equally randomly), trying to reveal the story inside with the remaining black lines. The story that I found was a person crying while overlooking the abyss on a narrow and winding path. At first I thought the character was looking into a kaleidoscope, and then realized it was me smoking from a bong. I had just lost several friends by letting my depression get the best of me and becoming an unreliable recluse, who only smoked weed all day. I slowed down and did some real thinking and prioritization, and it ended up making me a more balanced person. Whether the universe was speaking to me, or this was a construct of my mind - I figured who am I to deny guidance from my soul, my subconscious, or the randomness of the universe (which brought us to the point we're at today)? I don't know if I'm articulating this properly, but my point is that the unknowable can stay unknowable, but still have value in a person's life.

crazy. I'm not sure if I fully understand what you wrote here, but I'd like to check that out. sounds neat.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    having a sleep apnea fit (struggling for air (struggling to breathe) when sleeping) is not anything unexplainable nor supernatural. ghosts, spirits whatever you wanna call them are everywhere. that's just the way it is. some folks experience them, others do not, it is as simple as that. there is a paranormal thread around here somewhere riddled with conversation. currently i can't be bothered to get that much into this topic. sure i may change my mind in 14 min
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    Free said:

Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True

I don't think Paul's story is weird. I think it's a fascinating example of what the brain is capable of. Frightening for the person experiencing it, though, definitely

And if you want to give more info about the night terror thing I will take a stab at it, but FYI classic night terrors are really common in kids and they almost never remember them. It's the parents that it's hardest on.
  • Options
    chadwick said:

having a sleep apnea fit (struggling for air (struggling to breathe) when sleeping) is not anything unexplainable nor supernatural. ghosts, spirits whatever you wanna call them are everywhere. that's just the way it is. some folks experience them, others do not, it is as simple as that. there is a paranormal thread around here somewhere riddled with conversation. currently i can't be bothered to get that much into this topic. sure i may change my mind in 14 min

IDK Chadwick, you may get called judgmental and condescending... Watch out.

• Options
    Free said:

Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True

Once again, when you say "if you have an open mind, you will understand it," it implies that those who do not believe in what you believe are close minded.

will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    benjs said:

Thanks for your story Benjs, I enjoyed reading it.
    Post edited by Free on
  • Options
    What does atheism have to do with your thread title question OP?
    Not getting it.
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

Free said:

Free said:

chadwick said:

& at other times

True

I was once sleeping and I woke to someone grabbing my arm violently.

Except there was nobody there.

But I was at a 45* angle, corner to corner of the bed.
  • Options
    Free said:

chadwick said:

Probably not. Chadwick's been on here for years. He almost always has an opinion and when he does he expresses it forcefully. I don't always agree with him, but I've never known him to be condescending.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    as one with treated apnea, seek a sleep study. its a life saver. you might very well be a good candidate for treatment other than cpap.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

Free said:

chadwick said:

Probably not. Chadwick's been on here for years. He almost always has an opinion and when he does he expresses it forcefully. I don't always agree with him, but I've never known him to be condescending.
    That's no excuse for a person who likes Megadeth!
    :lol:
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    paranormal is my absolute favorite. it's on like donkey kong. one of my more recent experiences, a favorite of mine... whatever it was would slam a rock down on my dresser where i had rocks sitting there minding their own affairs... im talking a mighty slam not some bullshit rock tumbling off a pile of rocks, that'd be stupid-weak sounding & there were no piles. im talking full on as hard as you could mustar, bring a rock down on a wooden dresser-top as i stood there hanging clothes just a few feet away. that was pretty gnarly. neck hairs as erect as buffalo johnson. cool stuff. to clarify i was not having a apnea spell, nor sleepy & it was daylight.

who punches a wall as hard as they physically can yet there is not anyone there only feet from me? & this would be from a heavy weight wrestler type of wall rattling. i got up calmy, turned off the tv, went into my bedroom & locked the door. had a g/f once whose kitchen cabinets would be wide open all by themselves. that spirit enjoyed getting inches from my face as i layed in bed tryin to sleep. weird as frig.

don't even get me started here. i'll be up all night telling of experiences, arguing back & forth with you good folks & enjoying myself. ask the lady of the house, she'll tell ya i'm a spooky bastard with certain shadows (if shadows is the correct term, most are light) lurking around. she won't allow me to go to gettysburg or wherever else to do a ghost hunt type activity. she's afraid they'll follow me home & she's probably right to be perfectly honest with you

for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce